Unexpected N(O)GD/happy ending - stolen guitars returned! Update: another happy ending! Update 2!

What's Hot

Comments

• Great story to start the day with! Your mate has defo earned a beer!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Result!  Still beggars belief that you'd basically done the police's job for them, and they still weren't interested, though.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7850
    Congrats. 
    Re: smell, I’d strip then and give them a through clean, but as a short-cut, you could pop them in a bin bag with some baking soda. That should absorb and fetid odours. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2390
    Result!  Still beggars belief that you'd basically done the police's job for them, and they still weren't interested, though.
    Don't even.... that was one of the most infuriating aspects, even when I just wanted a PCSO to accompany/supervise an exchange. Oh well!

TheMarlin said:
    Congrats. 
    Re: smell, I’d strip then and give them a through clean, but as a short-cut, you could pop them in a bin bag with some baking soda. That should absorb and fetid odours. 
    Thanks for the tip, I'll bear that in mind. 
    They spent last night next to a nice candle, and have now been put in cases with silica packets and dryer sheets. I'll check them later to see if that's done anything and clean them at the weekend.
    Tim
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Yay! Having read your previous thread on this I'm really stoked to see this happy ending.  Really pleased for you!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Great news, happy for you. Charcoal is good for absorbing smells but I'm not sure how you would use that with guitars.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    ennspek said:

Charcoal is good for absorbing smells but I'm not sure how you would use that with guitars.
    Not like this, anyway...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1963-Gibson-Es-335-Jazz-Blues-Guitar/184546724187

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Pleased that you have such a good friend and that you got your guitars back. Well done. 
  • Great story & great result. Your friend does indeed deserve a nice bottle of something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    Awesome friend.
  • Congrats, love a bit of good news  =)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • great news 
  • timmypix said:
    Hydra19 said:
    Awesome!! Glad to see stories like these as well...so nice to read.
    Thank you as well for explaining the details, should we all keep pics of our Serial Numbers in case guitars get stolen? How can we be safe on that front? 
    Yes, awesome friend too. Enjoy having your guitars back with you, the smell should disappear.
    Yeah, my main takeaway is insure your guitars!
    But also that the police will not act at all if you do not have the guitar's serial number. I even pointed out to them that they can be scraped off or faked, but they treat a serial number for any product like you'd treat the VIN on a car, and that includes guitars.
    God knows where this leaves small builders or partscasters - not sure what to do about my parts Tele.
    Signature or some other memorable stuff written in the neck pocket might help. I always sign mine inside (not that anyone would want to steal one of my builds ;) ).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited February 2021
    When I found my stolen PRS on Ebay in 2018 I had the original serial and the Met Police didn't care about recovery either.

Glad you got them back. It's sad, but it's prob worth dealing with this stuff on your own than call the cops now. Its just about having good conflict management skills. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    That's excellent news, you have a truly decent mate! 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    Best thread ever. Well done.
  • I saw the title and hoped it was the follow up we’d all been waiting for. Glad to hear you’ve been reunited with your guitars.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    A very good deed from a good friend. Nice to hear something positive at the moment.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    That’s fab.  So great they’re home.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2390
    Thank you all for the continued kind words!

Spent most of today cleaning both of them and getting them restrung and set up, and it's brought a lot of memories back. It was almost a nice welcome home "ritual", in a way!

Two days in cases with silica and dryer sheets got rid of the smell. The Epiphone took a fair bit of tweaking but the Strat was perfectly set up as soon as new strings went on - a mix of it not having been without a case and an impressive indication of Fender's build quality on the Deluxes. 

Tim