Boss Tonebender pre order through Macaris

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6989
    It’s a bit disappointing reading this thread and seeing how many people went after these pedals with a clear eye on resale value.

The others might well wake up this morning, look at their bank account and think “Did... did I spend over £300 on a Boss pedal yesterday?”
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cols said:
    It’s a bit disappointing reading this thread and seeing how many people went after these pedals with a clear eye on resale value.

The others might well wake up this morning, look at their bank account and think “Did... did I spend over £300 on a Boss pedal yesterday?”
    Not why I'm interested in the pedal at all. I want one but not to sell - however, I still think that a limited run 3000 of a Boss mass production pedal, with a unique partnership with the original creator is going to mean that these go for hotcakes.

For Boss, a run of 3000 must represent their smallest production run ever, we already know that things like the slow gear go for stupid money. This is a collectors piece and collectors will be after it for sure. So far as I can see, there was 1 pedal made available in Switzerland for example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    I bought one, not to flip (I don't flip, only ever sold 1 pedal ever), I don't have any germanium fuzz in my collection so this would be a nice addition.  I must admit that the maker, the connection to Sola and the whole collab with the limited run has taken this beyond my typical "Fear of Losing Out" test.  Seeing how CBA, Klon and even KOT pedals prices has gone crazy in the used market, this will no doubt be too.  So there is a safety net of never losing your money, even if "OMG, did I just spend £300 on a pedal?"

I like this is somehow my first Boss pedal, which is somehow their most expensive, most limited.  There are a lot of first for me here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Cols said:

Like where does anyone say that? There’s literally no one in this thread who’s suggested they’re after one just to resell which is what you’re alluding to. 

Being aware that it’s not going to lose it’s value makes it easier to justify spending £300 on something I’ve never tried. That’s just sensible and categorically not the same as buying it to flip. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_Halen said:
    Doveholes said:
    PMT have it at £349, which is taking the piss.
    PMT will also happily sell you what they don't have. It's their party trick.
    Yeah, don't get it from PMT.  

If you want one, keep an eye out for USA shops.  It seems they haven't released them yet as the time zone difference.  Check CME, Sweetwater etc.
    Hey everyone - first time poster here, so thanks for having me!!

I pre-ordered from PMT after everywhere else had 'sold out' (was slow off the mark) - it just sounds so great in the (admittedly few) demo videos... and now I'm worried and waiting to be told they can't fulfil my order... are PMT really that bad? I haven't ordered form them before (I try to support the smaller companies).

£349 is taking the mick, but I don't think I'd ever shell out the £500+ for a proper sola sound TB MKII so this could be a way to sample as close to the real deal as possible at that price point (allow me to keep justifying!!!)... time will tell!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Must admit I find the whole consumer feeding frenzy aspect of this quite offensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Jiggatime said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Doveholes said:

If you want one, keep an eye out for USA shops.  It seems they haven't released them yet as the time zone difference.  Check CME, Sweetwater etc.

I pre-ordered from PMT after everywhere else had 'sold out' (was slow off the mark) - it just sounds so great in the (admittedly few) demo videos... and now I'm worried and waiting to be told they can't fulfil my order... are PMT really that bad? I haven't ordered form them before (I try to support the smaller companies).

£349 is taking the mick, but I don't think I'd ever shell out the £500+ for a proper sola sound TB MKII so this could be a way to sample as close to the real deal as possible at that price point (allow me to keep justifying!!!)... time will tell!

PMT has a habit of putting an item for sale that they have 1 in stock and let that item sit there for days.  Then a bunch of people buy it, obviously 1 guy will get it but then 100 others don't and you won't get your refund for like 28 days.

Not just pedals, but someone bought a Brad Paisley Road Worn Tele here a few months back, it is clear that it is 1 guitar, but about 5 people here ordered it.  Their stock system does not link to their website with live feedback.  That is a big problem, granted, its not limited to PMT but PMT is known for this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Must admit I find the whole consumer feeding frenzy aspect of this quite offensive.
    This is exactly what a pre order, limited run, desirable product release is designed to do. Boss got the marketing force right with this one. I really don't see how it is any more offensive than buying any other over priced product - I mean the guitar market is full of such stuff.

What I do find slightly odd is that 3000 is such a small number, the price is not massively high, I'm sort of wondering why they would bother - just feels like an attempt to elevate brand status / standing more than anything else (which is what the Waza line already is) but I think the Boss brand is so ingrained that it is unlikely to change perception much.
  • Jiggatime said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Doveholes said:

PMT has a habit of putting an item for sale that they have 1 in stock and let that item sit there for days.  Then a bunch of people buy it, obviously 1 guy will get it but then 100 others don't and you won't get your refund for like 28 days.

Not just pedals, but someone bought a Brad Paisley Road Worn Tele here a few months back, it is clear that it is 1 guitar, but about 5 people here ordered it.  Their stock system does not link to their website with live feedback.  That is a big problem, granted, its not limited to PMT but PMT is known for this.
      :#  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Teetonetal said:

This is exactly what a pre order, limited run, desirable product release is designed to do. Boss got the marketing force right with this one. I really don't see how it is any more offensive than buying any other over priced product - I mean the guitar market is full of such stuff.
    I understand exactly why they do it, and that's why I find it offensive... well, that and the way buyers respond to it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ColsCols Frets: 6989
    Dan_Halen said:
    Cols said:

Like where does anyone say that? There’s literally no one in this thread who’s suggested they’re after one just to resell which is what you’re alluding to. 

Being aware that it’s not going to lose it’s value makes it easier to justify spending £300 on something I’ve never tried. That’s just sensible and categorically not the same as buying it to flip. 
    I never mentioned flipping.  My point was that if the resale value is a key factor in the decision to buy - and it is for a fair few people here - then a lot of folk are already actively considering “Not a keeper”.

Seriously: if Boss were making 100,000 of these, how many people would be enthusiastically ordering on Day One of release?
    edited February 2021
    Resale Factor is a very good safety net, we all love a safety net, especially when buying sight unseen.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Cols said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Cols said:

I never mentioned flipping.  My point was that if the resale value is a key factor in the decision to buy - and it is for a fair few people here - then a lot of folk are already actively considering “Not a keeper”.

Seriously: if Boss were making 100,000 of these, how many people would be enthusiastically ordering on Day One of release?
    You are missing the point though.

If you buy this, you know that basically you get a pedal you can try out. If you love it, great. If not, you can sell it for more. So at worst, it is a free trial. At best, it is a profitable venture.

Can't blame people getting a little excited about it - especially bearing in mind how much Joe Public is currently saving on not going out or commuting.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • I've bought one for me and it's a family present for my 40th.

I didn't want the usual watch etc (already sorted in that dept)... I love music. This is a limited pedal by one of my favourite pedal brands.

I've always wanted a tb but didn't want to pay the 500-1000. This is more reasonable and I love the form factor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stevrossthepipestevrossthepipe Frets: 138
    edited February 2021
    Just as a side note  I am always looking at Ghost effects who is Ian Sherween who has built benders for Macaris. Ian sells through Joe's Pedals and direct through his instagram and website. I always wanted a Warm Jet but got really into looking  at all the work and matching that goes into the tonebender style pedals. Very reasonably priced between 150 - 200 - 250 ish for what they are comparably. There is a tasty MK1 variant a waiting list on joes that he is currently building. So that would be a great place to spend some money if you missed out on this and if this turns out not to work for me i'll probably get a MK1 built.

I have tried to get some Pig Dog stuff before and been too slow as he also does a pre sold pre order type system the same as this  just a smaller scale so sure lots of disappointed people always and those tend to go up in value such as on the DAM forum which I dip into occasionally out of curiosity.

I personally  wouldn't have gone for it if it wasn't a preorder and in my head for the time being it only cost £50 ha sure it will be great but am genuinely excited for this as will me my first tone bender. I mean i spent like £450 all in on a chase bliss fuzz factory  but it is absolutely everything i wanted it to be and thought it would be its always on my big board. Some were flippers bought it but a lot were just got all  hyped up by various factors and it was never going to be for them. A lot of people who buy this will just be like this fuzz isn't mad enough or is spikey or isn't loud enough. Whatever the compromises can be with a germ tone bender will prob still be there if they have approached it properly in a somewhat trad way which makes them so interesting. I am sure they will have but there will be much madness and on a scale we haven't seen till this point with pedals which is both unpleasant and funny at the same time. Hopefully this will just steer more interest and custom to those who make them and have been all this time. 

Also on the original preordering listing on Macaris they said they would sign the pedal and the box if you ask and you just know those ones will go for even dumber money ha. I just want to play the darn thing and the size is also very appealing to me and they all tend to come in biggish boxes. 

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited February 2021
    Cols said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Cols said:

Look, I see your point... I just don't really agree.

Hopefully I'll like it and keep it but have never tried one... maybe I'll hate it. So what? The only way I'll get to find out if it's a 'keeper' is by buying one of the bloody things so don't see what's wrong with that. Then, if it turns out to be shit, I've got a chance of getting something back on what I paid.

Personally, I saw them when they were announced, thought they looked really cool and that I'd like to grab one at some point. Happened to see thread on here in the morning that you can now pre-order, knew they'd not be about for long so hopped onto a couple of sites to see what was about and pre-ordered one. It was all quite calm, quite relaxed, drinking a cup of coffee whilst I did it whilst enjoying my morning. It really wasn't some sweaty, heart-racing, consumerist, rabid panic.

From what I've read, that's similar to most people. Would you prefer that no-one here, a community of guitarists who might actually use the things, bought one and they all just went to scalpers and flippers?

I'd be interested to know, given the limited numbers, under which circumstances it'd be ok to get one. All companies do limited editions and it's cynical as hell but there's enough other stuff in the world that makes me miserable to aim any spare indignation at Boss for making a tone bender.
    Let's just be happy that there is no bots and all snapped up by Scalpers like PS5 and XB1X fiasco.

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Magnetic Effects Solar Bender is a really good TB style fuzz for less that half that. 

And if I were Boss and Macaris, I couldn't see any harm in doing a COSM/ digi version of this for the mass market. Sod what the tone snobs say, with modern digital technology you could make it sound more than acceptable and sell them for less than a ton. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3534
    I love all things Boss, but it seems at odds with their 'everyman' history. Don't begrudge - just confused.

Still, good payday for their collaborators. 
  • ICBM said:

What I do find slightly odd is that 3000 is such a small number, the price is not massively high, I'm sort of wondering why they would bother - just feels like an attempt to elevate brand status / standing more than anything else (which is what the Waza line already is) but I think the Boss brand is so ingrained that it is unlikely to change perception much.
    My current experience with this is negative towards the brand and the retailer, much of which isn’t even rational. If I’d not been able to order it when I did and think one was in the works for five hours, I’d not think much of it, but I didn’t receive a cancellation for hours after it was listed as sold out, so I was looking forward to it. 

Now I’ll inevitably see it for months in my YouTube feed and on the forums and have no chance at buying it for what was already not a cheap price.