Recording with a Stingray (before I sell it)

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
I should start this with the fact that I’m not really a bassist, I enjoy playing them but it’s really just for recording at home, so playing it live isn’t really a concern even post lockdowns. 

Is it just me, or is the Stingray really hard to record with? So much ‘clank’ in anything played with fingers, just about possible to record with a pick, but at the detriment to the sound I want to achieve. Tried messing around with the EQ and volume but it’s just so noisy! 

It’s a USA one, love the look of it and I love the neck etc.. but just can’t use it for what I need it for. I have a P Bass I got from GSP that’s currently being sprayed by Rich, so I’ll have a solution, but I’m thinking of selling this and getting a Jazz again to go with the P to give me some options when recording. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sounds like it needs a set-up, it shouldn't be clanky unless that's the sound you're going for.  You could try flats. or have the set-up looked at, love my Stingray!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited February 2021
    Boost the load, cut the highs. That clank can sound bad in isolation but cuts nicely in the mix. 
  • I actually agree with you. I'm really going off the Stingray sound lately. Thinking of selling mine too! I fancy a Warwick.

Bye!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    I have had phases of disliking the fretted Stringray Bass sound. They never last very long.

Boost the lows, cut the highs. 
    This should get closer to a P Bass tone. 

I read an interview somewhere in which Tony Levin says that he rolls down the midrange then, adjusts the high and low bands as if the onboard EQ were the old-fashioned, two-band, boost only type.

That clank can sound bad in isolation but cuts nicely in the mix. 
    A set-up should solve the clank and/or fret rattle.

Alternatively, make a feature of the clank by using a Rickenbacker. ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • cairobillcairobill Frets: 95
    edited February 2021
    The Stingray clank issue is often related to the 3-band preamp. I've gone through a bunch of both 2-band and 3-band equipped 'rays and developed an allergy to the 3-band - just sounds brittle and clanky in the highs. 

You can improve the situation with a roll off of the highs and using old strings or flat wounds but ultimately I just sold mine and only ever use 2-band stingrays.

If it's a 2-band, you should easily be able to de-clank and chunk up the tone by rolling the treble off...then go for flats for the thump if you want to go full on Bernard Edwards.

Ultimately I have sold all my basses and kept a late 80s Stingray - it's an incredible sounding bass and just thumps. 2 band with old strings. 

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Thanks for the replies. 

It’s a 3 band EQ model, Googling around seems to throw the issue up a fair bit, a bass player I know even went as far as swapping the pickups out and couldn’t get rid of the noise. 

I’m sure great for live playing, but I think it’s time to move it on, just got the case out of the loft, will give it a decent clean up later and get it advertised. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    The 3 band EQ is VERY powerful and needs to be used lightly. 

I solved some clankiness by lowering the pickup a little, and I have my action a little higher than on other basses. Used to struggle with recorded tone sometimes but tweaking the setup made the biggest difference and have no such issues now. 
  • I have the two band one. The level of boost available is massive. I usually set mine fairly ‘flat’ and EQ once recorded. 

I’ve always thought mine records well.
  • The 3EQ has a peaked upper mid tone to it even as flat.  It either sounds perfect or obnoxious IME, whereas I could happily use my P or J basses anywhere.  The 2EQ seems to sound a bit bigger, possibly because it doesn't have the same inbuilt high pass filter as the 3EQ, however it can also get uncontrollably huge if you're not careful with balancing it, I've been sent some DIs that were just way too big in the low end from 2EQ Stingrays.

I usually go for Stainless Steel strings on my Fenders but on the Stingray I have to go with Nickels to enjoy it.  Because Stainless strings have more top and the lows are voiced deeper it just doesn't work with the preamp for my tastes, since it focuses on boosting high highs and deep lows, so things get overly scooped and harsh.

My favourite sound on mine is actually the inside coils - I have a 4HH.  I think if I had a single humbucker Stingray I might have sold it by now personally.  It is a classic tone, but I find I go in phases of thinking it sounds awesome and finding the tone distracting in a song.  Whereas I always love a good Fender
  • PVO_Dave said:
    Thanks for the replies. 

It’s a 3 band EQ model, Googling around seems to throw the issue up a fair bit, a bass player I know even went as far as swapping the pickups out and couldn’t get rid of the noise. 

You won't, that's just how they sound.  The only ones I've heard that don't have some amount of clack/clank to the tone have had EMGs in, and didn't sound like classic Stingrays

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23923
    The other option is ripping the preamp out (or a bypass switch) and running it passive.
    Has a great old thumpy tone then.

Can't get away from the pickup being where it is, but it's quite different.

Sounds just like the Joe Dart signature when it's passive. He's got flats on it mind you.

• Gail Anne Dorsey turns the bass on full and everything else "off", or turned all the way back. I tend to do the same and then will dial in the miss and treble as and when I feel it's necessary. 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    edited February 2021
    Gail Anne Dorsey turns the bass on full and everything else "off", or turned all the way back. I tend to do the same and then will dial in the miss and treble as and when I feel it's necessary. 
    On a 3-band? Jesus. That's an enormous amount of bass! I find a dimed bass knob overpowering on mine even with the mids and treble flat! If it's good enough for Gail though, I'm not gonna argue....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited February 2021
    I have D'Addario chromes (flats) on mine and I can get it to sound all thumpy and smooth if need be. For me, it has a perfect balance of sharp attack and smooth tone, controllable by how your use your left hand too. I'll often roll the mids right off and ease back on all the EQ. Also I keep the volume backed off a bit too. 

However, I am a fan of the stingray tone, but I do find tonally mine covers all the bases (ha) I want really.

Having said that, the gas itch is getting bad for a P. 
  • Isn’t the Ride stuff recorded with a stingray? At least that’s what the bass player uses live.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I've found that recording any bass with a decent powerful active preamp can be "challenging"

Flats certainly help, as does a big chunk of compression, but most of all I find it's all in the fingers. Lighter touch and proper rolled finger technique cuts out a lot of the clank - as does position of fingers relative to the pickups.

If you think a Stingray is bad you should try a fretless with 4 under saddle piezos. If you get it right it can sound really epic - almost stereo in quality. Get it wrong and it sounds like someone has attached a cowbell and a triangle to your strap lugs. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited February 2021
    a fretless with 4 under saddle piezos. 
    No cufflinks for your gigging tuxedo! 
    Be seeing you.
    I've found that recording any bass with a decent powerful active preamp can be "challenging"

Flats certainly help, as does a big chunk of compression, but most of all I find it's all in the fingers. Lighter touch and proper rolled finger technique cuts out a lot of the clank - as does position of fingers relative to the pickups.

If you think a Stingray is bad you should try a fretless with 4 under saddle piezos. If you get it right it can sound really epic - almost stereo in quality. Get it wrong and it sounds like someone has attached a cowbell and a triangle to your strap lugs. 
    hi mate, I am still mastering your old Stingray. But, I love it. the Gail Anne Dorsey tone settings is a cracker IMO. I really like that. Totally agree about how you can tame the tone with your fingers. Very true. I like the beast type thing that is the Stingray though. It's almost an unruly animal that you need to control. Such a huge tone.

Re active circuits - agree. I have an Ibanez active fretless and that has a very powerful output, and you do need to work with it, but it is wonderfully versatile. I think it's probably my favourite at the moment.

That could change once I've done my P bass build though.......oh yes.... :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Snap said:

hi mate, I am still mastering your old Stingray. But, I love it. the Gail Anne Dorsey tone settings is a cracker IMO. I really like that. Totally agree about how you can tame the tone with your fingers. Very true. I like the beast type thing that is the Stingray though. It's almost an unruly animal that you need to control. Such a huge tone.

Re active circuits - agree. I have an Ibanez active fretless and that has a very powerful output, and you do need to work with it, but it is wonderfully versatile. I think it's probably my favourite at the moment.

That could change once I've done my P bass build though.......oh yes.... :)
    There’s something uniquely special about a P bass. I’ve migrated to the more traditional 51P style which for me just has a bit more punch, but I always think there’s room for a P in the stable.

@Bridgehouse I got my daughter a mexican P, couple of years ago, and have to say it's a cracker. Playing that is what tipped me over into full on wanting one. I've decided to go the self build route because I will get exactly what I want, and I enjoy the build process too. 

Will be a sort of Roger Waters signature style in appearance.