Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Looks like a reverse Surfcaster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nope
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    edited February 2021
    I love Duesenbergs and realise they are very good guitars, but they are one company that truly epitomise all our recent grumbles about prices sky rocketing, and that can't even be blamed on American heritage and manufacturing costs like the main culprits.

Most Doozies could routinely be had for up to £1k new a few short years ago.  Now they are well over £2k for most models, even with German design and Croatian manufacture.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Duesenberg looks cool, especially the Bigsby loaded one, but it will undoubtedly be way above my price range. 
    The Fendery one looks pretty cool too. Was/is that a thing? I'm sure someone on the FB made something just like that. 
    Link to my trading feedback
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    edited February 2021
    I can't help thinking the equivalent Yamaha Revstar would be just as good for 1/3 the price.

Edit: maybe 1/2 the price. (and look nicer  )
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5734
    3 a side headstock, to make it harder to use the trem and stay in tune. Very Gibson of them.

(I know the nut can be cut well to accommodate this, but I bet none of them leave the factory like that!). 
    I’ll take that bet and I’ll say that every single one will arrive at its retailer immaculately set up and playing perfectly with an action right on the deck. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    StefB said:
    I love Duesenbergs and realise they are very good guitars, but they are one company that truly epitomise all our recent grumbles about prices sky rocketing, and that can't even be blamed on American heritage and manufacturing costs like the main culprits.

Most Doozies could routinely be had for up to £1k new a few short years ago.  Now they are well over £2k for most models, even with German design and South Korean manufacture.

Exactly this  - I was very tempted by a Double Cat 12-string for £999 a few years ago, now they are £2.5k
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Jeremiah said:
    StefB said:

Most Doozies could routinely be had for up to £1k new a few short years ago.  Now they are well over £2k for most models, even with German design and South Korean manufacture.

Exactly this  - I was very tempted by a Double Cat 12-string for £999 a few years ago, now they are £2.5k
    As far as I’m aware the South Korean manufacture part isn’t true. I think it’s been addressed a few times on here. I believe @guitars4you has commented previously. 

You could say that at £999 they were buying their way into the market but the premiums they charge now reflect the proper premiums that should be charged for an instrument of this quality. They wouldn’t be the first manufacturer to try that. Of course I will say that I don’t know if that’s true or not but it wouldn’t surprise me. I work in insurance and certainly it’s a tactic that new insurers have done (some more successfully than others I might add).
    I’ve never built up a successful guitar company but I’ve also never understood the secrecy that Duesenberg shroud their manufacturing in. It’s become the first thing that many people know about them and it takes away from the fact that no one makes a better designed or built guitar. 
  • I figured out what I don't like about the shape. When vertical, it looks like it has a saggy bum.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I like it, but the colour options are black or black. Could do with a Ice Blue option or maybe Olive Green. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    dazzajl said:
    I’ve never built up a successful guitar company but I’ve also never understood the secrecy that Duesenberg shroud their manufacturing in. It’s become the first thing that many people know about them and it takes away from the fact that no one makes a better designed or built guitar. 
    I think they for whatever reason would rather the guitars speak for themselves. Truth be told they do.

I will say though that I know for a fact that they are not made in Korea or anywhere in Asia. They are made in Germany.
    shaunm said:
    dazzajl said:
    I think they for whatever reason would rather the guitars speak for themselves. Truth be told they do.

I will say though that I know for a fact that they are not made in Korea or anywhere in Asia. They are made in Germany.
    Honestly, I couldn’t care less. As soon as you hold one it’s clear that they are of the finest quality. There are so many people though that seem to write them off over this issue without ever playing one. *shrugs*
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    shaunm said:
    Jeremiah said:
    StefB said:

As far as I’m aware the South Korean manufacture part isn’t true. I think it’s been addressed a few times on here. I believe @guitars4you has commented previously. 

You could say that at £999 they were buying their way into the market but the premiums they charge now reflect the proper premiums that should be charged for an instrument of this quality. They wouldn’t be the first manufacturer to try that. Of course I will say that I don’t know if that’s true or not but it wouldn’t surprise me. I work in insurance and certainly it’s a tactic that new insurers have done (some more successfully than others I might add).
    Confirm that the Special is still fabricated in Korea - But sent to Germany for assembly/completion with the same parts as per other Doozie models

But for some time now, for all other guitars, then Duesenberg utilise a modern 'wood work' facility in Croatia with a number of CNC machines and a 'paint robot' that is the same/similar to that used by PRS - Then woodwork sent to Germany for assembly, key work regarding frets via a Plek, electrics, hardware etc - But no matter how many times this story is told the wrong myth continues
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I'm convinced they are just using an upside-down Paloma body for this, as per the rather lovely one being sold by @shaunm of this parish...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    I'm convinced they are just using an upside-down Paloma body for this, as per the rather lovely one being sold by @shaunm of this parish...
    Totally. It's also on the Triton bass, so they're really making good use of it.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    Reminds me of the Washburn Paul Stanley Starfire and the Ibanez Omar Rodriguez Lopez.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    edited February 2021
    shaunm said:
    Jeremiah said:
    StefB said:

Confirm that the Special is still fabricated in Korea - But sent to Germany for assembly/completion with the same parts as per other Doozie models

But for some time now, for all other guitars, then Duesenberg utilise a modern 'wood work' facility in Croatia with a number of CNC machines and a 'paint robot' that is the same/similar to that used by PRS - Then woodwork sent to Germany for assembly, key work regarding frets via a Plek, electrics, hardware etc - But no matter how many times this story is told the wrong myth continues
    It's their own fault for being so secretive about it, also after photos of their HQ in Germany went online showing nothing vaguely like a factory premises. 

I personally assumed they were Korean made as the finishes often had that same (cheap IMO) look. 
    Kent747 said:
    Not sure if everyone saw this - new Duesenberg model for this year. Not sure what I think yet - but can assume it’ll be pricey. 
    £2,335 for the trem model - https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/duesenberg-falken-tremolo-black.htm

£2,241 for the hardtail - https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/duesenberg-falken-stop-tailpiece-black.htm
    A huge amount of money for sure but better value than you get from Fender, Gibson, Gretsch or PRS. None of which are better and more often not as good.