Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson R8 owners thread

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Just to say, and perhaps to rub salt in the wound...I don't get any notifications about this thread, being the OP. It's so easily sorted, it's a mighty shame that the old thread is gone.
    Agreed.
    Completely ridiculous. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    I feel left out, I don’t have a R8.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18675
    I’ve got one. I think it’s from 2004. It’s supposed to have SD antiquity pickups installed but I’ll be honest, I haven’t actually checked.

It’s the one in the middle. Obvs.  ;)

Meh. Maya EM1200 for the win anytime  ;)
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    @tereda Non offence taken, I had no desire to see the thread closed other than the persistent notifications which got a boring. I spent a good stretch of time with all notifications turned off just to stop them. Unfortunately I started missing classified enquiries and  the like so I reenabled them. I agree it’s a ballache that we can’t be more selective about what we do and don’t hear, but as the admins note this forum software isnt designed for the level of granularity that is required in this instance, and I’m not sure we all want to move to a platform  that requires us to put our hands in our pockets (isn’t that money better spent on NGDs?). I think in this case better just wave so long the old thread and continue with this new one. 

It was good fun and this new thread will be the same people talking the same old shite that we always do about top carves, tenons and CAB plastics.

Onwards!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited February 2021
    tomajoha said:
    @tereda Non offence taken, I had no desire to see the thread closed other than the persistent notifications which got a boring. I spent a good stretch of time with all notifications turned off just to stop them. Unfortunately I started missing classified enquiries and  the like so I reenabled them. I agree it’s a ballache that we can’t be more selective about what we do and don’t hear, but as the admins note this forum software isnt designed for the level of granularity that is required in this instance, and I’m not sure we all want to move to a platform  that requires us to put our hands in our pockets (isn’t that money better spent on NGDs?). I think in this case better just wave so long the old thread and continue with this new one. 

It was good fun and this new thread will be the same people talking the same old shite that we always do about top carves, tenons and CAB plastics.

Onwards!

As has been said already, a few times, @tomajoha, you can stop notifications on all and then subscribe to your threads using the stars. It's very simple.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Still got mine from the sale, an Iced Tea from Guitar Guitar

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Juanfra3Juanfra3 Frets: 24
    edited February 2021

• Juanfra3Juanfra3 Frets: 24
    edited February 2021

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    To be inclusive I've not limited it to 2017 releases, though that year will always be popular with some of us, for obvious reasons
    Sorry for my ignorance, but why was 2017 so popular?

And how much would a good vintage finish R8 cost, and what are the best years and why?  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • this is my little beast...

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    edited February 2021
    Voxman said:
    To be inclusive I've not limited it to 2017 releases, though that year will always be popular with some of us, for obvious reasons

And how much would a good vintage finish R8 cost, and what are the best years and why?  
    2017 is the year when Peach (and GuitarGuitar) did the £2500 blow out and a LOT of people got on that boat.
  • Why not R9s? Isn't the 59 supposed to be the holy grail?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited February 2021
    tomajoha said:

Onwards!

As has been said already, a few times, @tomajoha, you can stop notifications on all and then subscribe to your threads using the stars. It's very simple.
    But not as simple as being automatically subscribed to your own threads.

Which is fine when they naturally die off after a few days/weeks/months.

I’m not sure why some people are so protective over a thread on a forum. Who seriously gives a fuck how many pages it reached?

Hopefully the new thread with a link to the old thread will satisfy everyone and people will stop fucking moaning. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22731
    Here's mine - it's actually not an R8, but a CR8.  It doesn't weigh much.

CR82090
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 123
    edited February 2021
    Here’s mine:

Edit - image not working. Will try again!
  • ok... finally i got it..... certainly i  m not a multitasking person.

R8 from Peach blow out in 2018... i love how the aniline is losing is colours in the armrest, and also behind the neck...as i keep playing her.

PS: apologies for the previous empty messages...

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:

2017 is the year when Peach (and GuitarGuitar) did the £2500 blow out and a LOT of people got on that boat.
    Not only that @voxman, 2017 were true historic spec, hot hide glue construction, no condom on truss rod, true historic plastics, I think the only meaningful difference was that they’re not double carved tops. I don’t know whether a true historic r8 at the time was supposed to be more expensive than a big standard R8 or how it compares specs wise to other years. 

• Juanfra3 said:
    ok... finally i got it..... certainly i  m not a multitasking person.

R8 from Peach blow out in 2018... i love how the aniline is losing is colours in the armrest, and also behind the neck...as i keep playing her.

PS: apologies for the previous empty messages...

Amazing to see the changes. It was my understanding that aniline dies were not used for the burst (at least maybe not on the teas and lemons).