Extremely unlikely it came from Wuhan laboratory....

What's Hot

Comments

• AdeyAdey Frets: 1184
    edited September 23
    Not really. It's being presented as an entertainment video. These always have an agenda and a biased opinion.

It might be true what they are saying, but if it were really "hard facts", dressing it up as sensationalism doesn't help convince me.

I watched the first 20 seconds and made my opinion - Snippets of the forthcoming programme picking sensational bits to grab people's attention is the trademark of low quality journalism.

Sorry
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 590
    It was actually first aired on Monday on Sky Australia, and is based on the contents of the presenters new book.
    I am not a fan of the presentation, but there are many facts revealed which are very convincing.
    I haven't seen ANY other mainstream outlet actually discuss the Wuhan Military games, which happened in Oct 2019, and must be considered as a worldwide superspreader event.
    You won't have seen that if you only gave it 20 seconds, so I wouldn't know what else you may or may not know about the subject.
    No need to apologise, ignorance can be bliss.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 7614
    Don't usually venture down here without full biohazard PPE, mind bleach & extra strength holy water.
    However, there was an interesting article today regarding the latest scientific evidence as to the origin of the virus, on 'Inside Science' Radio 4.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000zv3t
    Scroll to 16m 38s-ish for the article.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 590
    The Laus paper has not been published yet, as far as I am aware, and in essence, the theory, or hypothesis, is very similar to the current accepted idea of zoonotic transfer.
    Is this enough to simply wipe all the current evidence which has built up around the WIV off the table?
    Has the incidence of the WMG ever been put on the table officially?, it has a Wikipedia page and is not a figment of the imagination-it MUST be considered in any scientific discussion of the origin of this centuries pandemic, surely?
    It may raise some awkward questions, but it surely must be examined due to the early reports from Canadian and French athletes that reported illnesses immediately following their attendance, even the Sky documentary does not go that far, but it was raised in the GOP report that can be found online, which was submitted to the American government.
    We appear to have a complete news blackout about these recent events, and personally, I find that very concerning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That Nipah virus is scary as f*ck , I don’t like the sound of it at all. I would freakin isolate for life if that got out 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 8109
    The Torygraph has a headline saying that it was spreading in Wuhan in summer 2019.  It might be clickbait, and I can't see the content behind their paywall.

It was definitely in the wild earlier than they admit to.  There was a hospital case of pneumonia in France on 27 Dec 2019 where a sample retrospectively tested positive.  He must have caught it by mid-December, and he hadn't been to China, or in direct contact with anyone who had.  Whoever he caught it from most likely caught it in France in early December.  That means it was spreading in the wild in France by early December.  That just doesn't fit with the official timeline reported by China.

There are also the claims that it was in Italian sewage samples a month or two before that, although I know they are disputed.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 7614
    crunchman said:
    The Torygraph has a headline saying that it was spreading in Wuhan in summer 2019.  It might be clickbait, and I can't see the content behind their paywall.

It was definitely in the wild earlier than they admit to.  There was a hospital case of pneumonia in France on 27 Dec 2019 where a sample retrospectively tested positive.  He must have caught it by mid-December, and he hadn't been to China, or in direct contact with anyone who had.  Whoever he caught it from most likely caught it in France in early December.  That means it was spreading in the wild in France by early December.  That just doesn't fit with the official timeline reported by China.

There are also the claims that it was in Italian sewage samples a month or two before that, although I know they are disputed.
    @crunchman   Top tip from @monquixote ;   Turn off JavaScript in your browser & then you can view the paywalled content.
    Turn it back on again afterwards, otherwise this site won't work properly  ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 14307
    crunchman said:

@crunchman   Top tip from @monquixote ;   Turn off JavaScript in your browser & then you can view the paywalled content.
    Turn it back on again afterwards, otherwise this site won't work properly  ;)
    In Chrome you can turn it off for specific sites.
  • peanutspeanuts Frets: 112
    Extremely Likely it came from Wuhan Laboratory 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1184
    That's a different thread that triggered this one....
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 1684
    edited November 19
    https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abm4454

Interesting. Worth a read.

An the analysis of earlier hospital records even shows which area of the food market it started in.. Racoon Dogs.. 

In a city of 11 million, the earliest, and over half the early cases, were in an area smaller than a football field at the market.  And we know coronaviruses spill over from wildlife from bats through a host animal. Camels, civets, etc.    

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 2554
    Maybe they caught it from the lab  but they just all popped out for lunch at the market every day.   

No wait that's unlikely   they'd have surely had a sandwich van on campus.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 689
    I thought it was already established there were cases in wuhan way earlier than December? Stuff happening around the Military games in October for example.
  • Regarding pay wall stuff:

https://12ft.io/
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 2170
    edited November 19
    It's bloody obvious that it was leaked from the lab, isn't it? I mean, what are the chances of there being a bio lab investigating the exact same virus, in the same town, at the same time that the first cases were picked up, but rather than the outbreak being caused by a leak from that lab, it was caused by an unhappy natural coincidence, starting with bats 1000 miles away?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 9924
    NelsonP said:
    It's bloody obvious that it was leaked from the lab, isn't it? I mean, what are the chances of there being a bio lab investigating the exact same virus, in the same town, at the same time that the first cases were picked up, but rather than the outbreak being caused by a leak from that lab, it was caused by an unhappy natural coincidence, starting with bats 1000 miles away?
    I went through all this last year
    Many wanted to dismiss the concept without much thought
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 478
    The telegraph just ran an article about samples obtained in Laos with a very similar genome to covid being sent to wuhan for analysis. Ecohealth/China collaberation.

• Follow Alina Chan on Twitter, and just read her feed.

Bye!

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2032
    Follow Alina Chan on Twitter, and just read her feed.
    Is it possible to send a link to make that possible?  I'm not on Twitter
  • thebreeze said:
    Follow Alina Chan on Twitter, and just read her feed.
    Is it possible to send a link to make that possible?  I'm not on Twitter
    No.

Bye!