Korina Strat - final pic

What's Hot
downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
edited February 2021 in Making & Modding
So. I bought this body... 

I’m making a neck and I’ve got a heap of parts... but I’m swithering over a finish. 

I have a vast number of rattle cans of clear poly which is an obvious option, but I have a feeling there might be a stain option to jazz it up a little... I’ve got green, blue, red and black stains but I can’t I’m not sure what is going to work. 

Any ideas? 

Oh yes - I also have parchment, white or gold anodised scratchplates.... 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    Natural.  

Gold pickguard might be interesting,  but I suspect parchment will be the more tasteful option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    Natural.  

Gold pickguard might be interesting,  but I suspect parchment will be the more tasteful option.
    I think you are probably right - I’ll finish it then start comparing pickguards...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27434
    Beautiful - natural - colours and grain patterns.  Just enhance those.  Oil??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Natural. Grain fill and clear gloss. Or just oil. 
  • I think an oil finish would work really nicely.
    If you look closely you should find a little pin hole somewhere in the orange streak.   The orange colour occurs when an insect burrows into the wood
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited February 2021
    I have oil... but I think I’ll need more! 

More ordered... so I think that’s decision made
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Wow that's a beauty. Pale to mid amber lacquer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelg said:
    Wow that's a beauty. Pale to mid amber lacquer. 
    I could definitely see that working...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Even though I'm not a big fan of natural-finished 'classic' electric guitar designs, that's too nice to cover or even alter the colour of.

I agree with Wez that a gold anodised guard would look good, but second choice would be some sort of black, not any kind of white/off-white.

WezV said:
    If you look closely you should find a little pin hole somewhere in the orange streak.   The orange colour occurs when an insect burrows into the wood
    Is that it roughly in line with the bridge side of the bridge pickup rout?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

That's the fella, looks to be filled already.   I didn't spot it on initial viewing
  • Ok - plan is... 

oil finish. No colouring. Gold anodised scratchplate, chrome trem/bridge, chrome pegs, white/parchment pickup covers and knobs. 

Gold parts might work better but I have the chrome ones - if it looks really odd I can always change them later. Chrome Jack plate. 

I’ll start oiling when the shed defrosts. Then I’ll do a mock-up with all the parts 

by the way. The pickups will be a set that Melvyn Hiscock gave for my birthday a couple of years ago - neck Alnico 2, middle Alnico 3, bridge Alnico 4 with a backplate. 

Speaking of which, the third edition (expanded) of Melvyn’s classic book will be out very shortly (next month). Form an orderly queue! My suspicion is most of us started there. 
  • Definitely go for an anodised guard. Either natural finish or a dirty blonde with lots of that grain popping through. 
    Ok - plan is... 

oil finish. No colouring. Gold anodised scratchplate, chrome trem/bridge, chrome pegs, white/parchment pickup covers and knobs. 

Gold parts might work better but I have the chrome ones - if it looks really odd I can always change them later. Chrome Jack plate.
    Definitely chrome not gold. Preferably not even nickel...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Ok - plan is... 

Definitely chrome not gold. Preferably not even nickel...
    I’ve always quite liked a mixture of gold and chrome - sort of Rolex-y somehow
  • 100% chrome parts. 

I’ve always quite liked a mixture of gold and chrome - sort of Rolex-y somehow
    Yes - chrome parts with gold anodised guard is fine. Gold parts and gold guard clash horribly because the two golds are different.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree with everyone else...natural.
      If you wipe it with a damp (not sopping wet) cloth, you will see the colour it will turn towards when you have applied a clear finish, whether that is spray or oil.

• Progress... one coat of penetrating oil. In other news - scratchplate nearly built up, neck (from stock) ready to go, hoping to get two more coats of oil on today while the shed is actually quite warm! 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    That looks really nice !