Joey Landreth

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
Came upon him by chance on YouTube doing a slide tutorial. Incredible player. Check out his string gauge on this clip, they look heavier than the bass player's set!

If anyone knows his work and can recommend some stuff, that would be most welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Bros landreth is his band, very good indeed! 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    joeyowen said:
    Bros landreth is his band, very good indeed! 
    They definitely have the family vocal harmonisation thing sorted...

• 1st Bros Landreth album very good as is Hindsight solo album. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    This is my favourite, sublime.

https://youtu.be/d-A7sEc8qW0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited February 2021
    Wonderful player and band and an absolute gent.

I was lucky enough to meet him at Guitar Guitar, Camden a few of years ago and was introduced to him by Doug Chandler, formerly of Chandler Guitars and someone I've known as a client since the 80s.

Lovely, intelligent and articulate guy and we chatted for about 25 mins about all sorts but somewhat intrigued, I 'patronisingly' asked him how he had a mastery of quite a few styles and was such a seasoned and mature player for someone of his tender age? He told me that whatever gig was going, whatever style, even if they weren't familiar with it, they'd blag it and take it only to live and breathe the style 24/7 and with his talent and in the age of internet, that made things easy.

I love that Sorokin Gold Top and here's what he says about it:-
    “As far as my setup, the action is pretty high and because I’m tuned down to open C, which is CGCEGC, I’ve got heavy strings on it so the high E string is a .019 and the low E string is a .064. So it goes .019, .022, .026, .040, .050, .064. It would be like having a guitar strung with 13s if it was in standard tuning'

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He was on TPS a couple of years ago - I think talking through his tuning, certainly his gear choices. I might rewatch it just to see strangers sitting next to each other ( rather than in chairs 2 meters apart and pretending there's nothing odd in that  - damn you all quiz shows made in 2020!) 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I discovered him only from his appearances on TPS, and love his work. Beautiful tone, tasteful playing, superb guitarist.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    I went to his gig at The Garage in London. During one of the support acts he came out to watch and stood next to me. I was too cool to say hello.
    Haven't heard this for 30 yrs or more...

• I played bass for Joey on a fleeting visit to the UK back in 2019... I must say his all round knowledge and ability is pretty daunting! A lovely guy and just on another level to anyone else I’ve worked with to be honest! 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited February 2021
    wesker123 said:

Never trust a man who's feet are smaller than his hands. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3813
    I prefer Arial Posen's playing to Joey's TBH. Kirk Fletcher also blew him away when they were on TPS together. The problem with all that lot is that they are great guitarists, but not great songwriters IMO.
  • Met him at Regent Sounds on Denmark Street after he gave a bit of a masterclass. Very nice chap and he was doing some amazing things with the Chase Bliss Blooper. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    JezWynd said:
    If anyone knows his work and can recommend some stuff, that would be most welcome.
    Both solo albums are excellent
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Seen Joey a bunch of times both solo and once with Bros. In Brizzol last year. Such a cool guy and great player. Sat side of stage when he played the Thekla a few years ago, was totally mesmerised.

Three great songs to look up Cryin’, Still Long Gone and Greenhouse
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Took my dad to watch him in Manchester a few years back. Was a tiny function room in a pub.

Frightening player!!!

One of those guys when they are full flow like Tommy Emmanuel and Brian Setzer when watching live you realise you don't play the guitar you just own one.

My fave track is Runnaway Train 
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    Lebarque said:
    I prefer Arial Posen's playing to Joey's TBH. Kirk Fletcher also blew him away when they were on TPS together. The problem with all that lot is that they are great guitarists, but not great songwriters IMO.
    Regarding Ariel Posen and Joey I completely disagree with this. The main reason I liked the bros landreth, joey landreth and Ariel posen were for the songs rather than the guitar playing if I’m honest. 

Agree with the comment if you’re talking about Kirk Fletcher. 

But hey we are all allowed differing opinions. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3519
    Interesting. I think he's great, but the material is a bit 'earnest' for me, a bit emotionally 1-D. 

Horses for courses, of course. 
  • One of those players that is million times better live than on record - I find the recorded songs are flat and lifeless but live it's spellbinding.