Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me some sci-fi and fantasy reading

What's Hot

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838

I read and liked the Martian by Andy Weir so I picked up his other book called Artemis. 

I liked it. Andy is a space/science kinda guy so none of it is totally impossible. 

Artemis is nothing to do with the meh film about a hotel. 

Instead its about a colony humans have set up on the moon in the not so distant future. People work there, visit for holidays etc. It follows a regular kinda girl who is finding her way, gets muddled up in a few things. 

I enjoyed it. The girl in the book was so similar to a friend of mine I couldnt read it without picturing my friend. So maybe thats why I also enjoyed it. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    Some great suggestions already. I don’t think Ian Douglas has been mentioned for Sci-fi 

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/d/ian-douglas/

or Eric Van Lustbader for Fantasy - The Sunset Warrior Series (also The Ninja series if you like that sort of thing) 
    https://www.ericvanlustbader.com/fantasy/

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I went through a phase a while ago (when free time was an actual thing) and started working through the gollancz top 50 SF masterworks, started collecting the yellow jackets versions and all that..
    Most of the things mentioned so far (bar the fantasy and more modern elements) are in the SF masterworks.. so that list would probably be a good place to start. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just realised that one of the classics, Stanislaw Lem, has not been mentioned yet. Some great, inventive writing, like Solaris.

I also remember a time travel story (Star Diaries), where the Wednesday version of a person would beat up the Tuesday version of the same person as part of a funny, complicated plot.
  • Loads of great suggestions here. One that hasn't been mentioned is  book I literally just finished last night and loved

It's a near-future dystopian/post-apocalyptic novel, set after a deadly and highly contagious virus sweeps the world (topical!). 

The author herself doesn't actually agree with calling it "sci-fi", but it won the Arthur C Clarke Prize for Fiction so that's close enough for me!
  • A lot of my recommendations have been covered like Ian M banks and Alasdair Reynolds but there's a few classics worth a look too. Try Vernor Vinge " a fire upon the deep" and "a deepness in the sky". Also Hugh Howey's Silo series is very good.

Fantasy wise the malazan book of the fallen will keep you going for a long time indeed. It's super dense but very awesome and ridiculously epic in scope. The one with the chain of dogs in it was one of my favourite fantasy books I've read in the past few years.

The expand books are also very good. Better than the series and that's high praise too as I really enjoyed the series.

On a similar vein if you enjoyed any of the Gaiman stuff on Amazon Prime then the books are also worth a read.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Fantasy wise the prince of thorns series was really good, I forget the author I think it was the guy who finished off the wheel of time books.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Try Stephen King's The Dark Tower series of books

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(series)
    There are 2 or 3 really great books in that series but it's a lot of drivel to wade through. Shane as the first book was a bona fide masterpiece.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    Brio said:
    Alfred Bester is a great shout. Tiger, Tiger is the best teleportation story in my mind. Usually sold as The Stars my destination.
    Best sci first book ever. Fact.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1789
    I’d love to see it as a film.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    How weird do you want to go? If the answer is 'quite weird', I suggest China Mieville. 

A big upvote for Banks' 'Culture' novels.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 440
    edited February 2021
    If you like Lord of the Rings, Stephen Donaldson's Illearth series are very good as is Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea books. The Eternal champion series from Michael Moorcock are a good, quick read as well. John Wyndham is a good read, Day of the triffids, The Chrysalids, Midwich Cuckoos etc. Arthur C. Clarke's Childhoods End and Rendevous with Rama are excellent and I'd definitely have a read of Larry Niven's Ringworld.
  • Quick read? Aren't there about 400,000,000 eternal champion books? Ok do think that Moorcock has suffered a bit having been plagiarized so savagely by games workshop.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    @PolarityMan ;
    I meant the individual books were quick reads :) 
    He could read the Castle Brass or the Elric of Melnibone and decide if they were for him. They can be read as individual trilogys ( some would say thankfully I suppose )
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Almost forgot - The Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E Howard.  Pulp fantasy at its finest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Logie said:
    @PolarityMan ;
    He could read the Castle Brass or the Elric of Melnibone and decide if they were for him. They can be read as individual trilogys ( some would say thankfully I suppose )
    I’ve read most of the Moorcock books already.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Wiz for the person who recommended James Blish. I think he's very under-rated. I particularly like A Case of Conscience.

Not exactly sci-fi or fantasy, but The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov is an amazing novel.

Has anyone mentioned Kurt Vonnegut yet? Cat's Cradle is a fantastic sci-fi novel.
    @boogieman ;
    Oops, I should have read the whole post. Didn't catch that you'd already read Moorcock and Covenant :)

• Logie said:
    @PolarityMan ;
    I knew what you meant i was jsut being cheeky. The Corum ones are pretty decent too. Also I dont know why but blood red game really stuck with me too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Logie said:
    @boogieman ;
    Oops, I should have read the whole post. Didn't catch that you'd already read Moorcock and Covenant :)

No worries  ;)