Help with replacement slot head tuners

camfcamf Frets: 1190
I wonder if any of you more technically able people could give me some advice.

My slot head 000 guitar has 3 on a plate Schallers and I'd like to replace them with three single Gotoh tuners. I don't mind having to drill out fixing screws but I wouldn't want to go with re-drilling the main holes for the shafts. From the two diagrams below, would you say this was possible? The Schallers have an odd spacing, where the top end of the plate seems shorter than the bottom end. But the main holes all seem 3.5cms apart, so with the individual Gotohs being 3.35cm each, it feels like - to my simplistic eye - it could work but I realise the shafts might not line up, but trying to work that out from the two diagrams is too much for my little, old brain.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

cam f

https://i.imgur.com/sa7HpvE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qVuF7l2.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    They will fit, but it looks like you'll have to fill all the old screw holes first - some of them are close enough to the new positions, but not exactly the same, that the screws will try to pull sideways into the old holes otherwise. You need to use hardwood glued in tightly, not matchsticks or filler :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• camfcamf Frets: 1190
    ICBM said:
    They will fit, but it looks like you'll have to fill all the old screw holes first - some of them are close enough to the new positions, but not exactly the same, that the screws will try to pull sideways into the old holes otherwise. You need to use hardwood glued in tightly, not matchsticks or filler :).
    Thanks John. Is this something an experienced and nearby expert could do at a suitably agreed time? :)
    camf said:
    ICBM said:
    Thanks John. Is this something an experienced and nearby expert could do at a suitably agreed time? :)
    I'd been thinking I could try it as a wee home project but if it's not glued in cocktail sticks it's already out of my wheelhouse and off over the horizon. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    camf said:

Yes. Although gluing in cocktail sticks is probably sufficient, so it might not be outwith your capabilities.

If I do it I tend to use shaved down lollipop sticks though, they're better for tone ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I'll PM you. The guitar had a wee bit of an... er... accident but it's been fixed and now plays really well, so I now need to hang onto it and, as you know, these perfectly good Schallers have bugged me from the start.