The Jam- The Great Depression lyrics

What's Hot
This is a long shot but there's a few Jam fans on here so thought I'd give it a go.

I first heard this song when the Extras compilation was released but I've never been able to work out the full lyrics. The interpretations I've found on the net don't seem correct when I listen to the song. Especially the "into the abyss" section.

I can't find any official song lyrics anywhere for this track. Anyone got any ideas what they are?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7776
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:
    Cheers mate, predates me joining The Fretboard.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7776

That's ok, I started looking and thought "didn't we do this a while ago ? " and a quick search showed we did :)

I'm still not sure about the last word of the line "Now you're free and easy with a/the . . . . " but apart from that it all seems to make sense, which is more than a lot of other suggestions for the lyrics for it do.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_C said:

That's ok, I started looking and thought "didn't we do this a while ago ? " and a quick search showed we did :)

I'm still not sure about the last word of the line "Now you're free and easy with a/the . . . . " but apart from that it all seems to make sense, which is more than a lot of other suggestions for the lyrics for it do.
    Solid memory mate! "Base" would make sense as it's probably a reference to Greenham Common?
  • Changed my mind "phrase" makes more sense. Don't think this will ever be resolved!