Logic Pro system overload

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5614
edited February 2021 in Studio & Recording
Why am I getting system overload alerts in Logic Pro?

I've been using Logic for a while, started using it with a 2012 Mac mini but have recently(ish) upgraded to a late 2019 MacBook Pro.  Never, ever had an issue when running it with the Mini but recently I've started getting system overload alerts!

It's not like I'm using lots of plugins or even many tracks.  I'm even seeing the alerts in projects I recorded on the old Mac Mini!  If it worked there why won't it work on what should be a much more powerful machine?

I've changed buffer size settings as recommended on Apples no help pages but hasn't really made a difference.

Gotta be honest, starting to think it's a Big Sur thing, everything was alright until Big Sur came along.

Anyone else having the same problem?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5614
    That's the same no-help page I looked at earlier.

I didn't enable the performance monitor though, but have done now.  The Processing Threads meter is working at about 10% of maximum and the Drive I/O meter isn't even registering on the scale.

So clearly plenty of processing capacity spare, it shouldn't really be having a problem. 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10395
    edited February 2021
    It's not generally an available power thing... almost never really it's an OS priority thing, basically the OS virtually halts some processes to devote more attention to something else. Unfortunately with BS and to some extent Catalina it's harder to pin point as these OS's are more attentive to the SMC and actual firmware. 

Unfortunately on the more modern Macs it's harder to setup a proper dual boot system otherwise I would have recommended booting from an old version of OSX to run Logic until all bugs have been ironed out. You can still do it but the T2 chip models need reconfiguring and there's no SD card slot so it's more of a pain. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Have you got midi instruments in your project?
    poopot said:
    Have you got midi instruments in your project?
    No, I am far from that sophisticated a musician.

Danny1969 said:
    It's not generally an available power thing... almost never really it's an OS priority thing, basically the OS virtually halts some processes to devote more attention to something else. Unfortunately with BS and to some extent Catalina it's harder to pin point as these OS's are more attentive to the SMC and actual firmware. 

Unfortunately on the more modern Macs it's harder to setup a proper dual boot system otherwise I would have recommended booting from an old version of OSX to run Logic until all bugs have been ironed out. You can still do it but the T2 chip models need reconfiguring and there's no SD card slot so it's more of a pain. 
    Could I not just acquire an external SSD and boot from there using an older OS?  Pretty sure I've done that before, but not for Logic related stuff so don't know what I/O performance would be like if I did that.

Ah ok...

logic is always armed to record midi... (there’s a record capture button if you look)... if you have any software instrument tracks logic will be ready to capture on those tracks... even software loops...

best to bounce to a new track and turn tge
    midi track off, saves a bit of processing power...

also, any tracks you have that are recorded, put the input to no input... that also saves a bit...
    poopot said:
    Ah ok...

logic is always armed to record midi... (there’s a record capture button if you look)... if you have any software instrument tracks logic will be ready to capture on those tracks... even software loops...

also, any tracks you have that are recorded, put the input to no input... that also saves a bit...
    Thanks, will look out for that.  I might have inadvertently lied mind as I do use the drummer tracks and I'm pretty sure that's MIDI data somehow.  Maybe not the same thing to which you were referring but thought best to throw it out there in any case.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10395
    Haych said:

Danny1969 said:

Could I not just acquire an external SSD and boot from there using an older OS?  Pretty sure I've done that before, but not for Logic related stuff so don't know what I/O performance would be like if I did that.
    Yeah you can but your model has a T2 chip and the newer OS versions put a kind of secure boot lock on it for security, so you first you need to disable the boot lock. Least I'm pretty sure it does ... click apple - system information then controller or bridge and will tell you . 

Then disable secure boot 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208198
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Haych said:
    poopot said:
    Ah ok...

Thanks, will look out for that.  I might have inadvertently lied mind as I do use the drummer tracks and I'm pretty sure that's MIDI data somehow.  Maybe not the same thing to which you were referring but thought best to throw it out there in any case.
    Drummer is midi... bounce it out to another track then turn off the drummer track... don’t delete the drummer track just turn it off... if you need to do any edits to the drummer track, turn it back on, edit and bounce out to a new track then turn it off...

you’ll be surprised.
    Thanks @poopot, will give that a try.  

So I understand you correctly, you mean to bounce it as an audio track?  

That suggests MIDI is more intensive to process than audio?  

Have I sort of got that right?