How is the build quality of Sigma guitars? (00m-15 specifically ~£300)

What's Hot
JamesC01JamesC01 Frets: 11
edited February 2021 in Acoustics
I think I've decided on the acoustic I want. https://www.andertons.co.uk/sigma-sig-00m-15 It's the colour that I want, it's solid top, and it's the right size. The sound of it varies in youtube videos, probably due to the microphone, so it's hard to tell, but judging by reviews, it sounds good. Can anyone give an opinion on the quality, and whether it is worth the price? Is the action good, or will it need a set up? Anyone have a sigma guitar in the 15 range? 000m-15 is probably quite comparable build-quality-wise, so if you have that, I'd love your opinion on it! I'm still open to changes, if there are better brands for that price (around £200-£350).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    edited February 2021
    I have a Sigma TM15-E+ as my former couch guitar and if I play it before I play any of my other acoustics (which are Martins and a Larrivee), I am always pleasantly surprised. The build quality is great and the neck and fretboard are so much fun to play.

However, if I play it after I play one of my other guitars, I realise the massive difference between them. It’s an unfair comparison, given the difference in price and quality (hence why I mentioned the brands of the other guitars). But I can’t help making that conclusion in those circumstances and I am ultimately going to sell it (mostly because I don’t play it anymore, as I purchased a new couch guitar, as opposed to being due to its quality).

So all this to say that it’s great quality at that price range, but ultimately it is an inferior product to higher range guitars, some not that much higher in price. 

FYI, the new couch guitar I purchased was the Martin 000jr-10e: second-hand for £475 (in mint condition). So much more guitar (no comparison possible) for not a lot more money. And an option I’d explore if I were you.

Hope that helps somewhat.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3126
    edited February 2021
    These really are only questions that can be answered by you with the guitar itself. As you know guitars vary wildly . It’s a good budget brand , however models vary,and it is impossible to comment definitely on a specific guitar. The bugger is it’s a long way from you so it’s either a road trip or rely on distance selling rules to check it.

As an aside and closer to you Weston Music shop have some great Tanglewoods in your price range.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Ricjo said:
    I have a Sigma TM15-E+ as my former couch guitar and if I play it before I play any of my other acoustics (which are Martins and a Larrivee), I am always pleasantly surprised. The build quality is great and the neck and fretboard are so much fun to play.

However, if I play it after I play one of my other guitars, I realise the massive difference between them. It’s an unfair comparison, given the difference in price and quality (hence why I mentioned the brands of the other guitars). But I can’t help making that conclusion in those circumstances and I am ultimately going to sell it (mostly because I don’t play it anymore, as I purchased a new couch guitar, as opposed to being due to its quality).

So all this to say that it’s great quality at that price range, but ultimately it is an inferior product to higher range guitars, some not that much higher in price. 

FYI, the new couch guitar I purchased was the Martin 000jr-10e: second-hand for £475 (in mint condition). So much more guitar (no comparison possible) for not a lot more money. And an option I’d explore if I were you.

Hope that helps somewhat.
    Thanks. I think I'll just go with the sigma. £475 is a bit too pricey for me, I'd feel like I'd have to baby it.
  • These really are only questions that can be answered by you with the guitar itself. As you know guitars vary wildly . It’s a good budget brand , however models vary,and it is impossible to comment definitely on a specific guitar. The bugger is it’s a long way from you so it’s either a road trip or rely on distance selling rules to check it.

As an aside and closer to you Weston Music shop have some great Tanglewoods in your price range.
    They have multiple models which look pretty similar, and at similar price ranges, the tm15, 00m15, 000m15 and dm15, so if either of those are decent quality, it should give me an idea of the quality of the 00m15. @Ricjo says his tm15-e has decent build quality, so I assume it's the same for the other's in that range.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5418
    James, it is always wise to play an instrument before you buy. If you are locked-down, you could always just wait a bit longer. (Not sure what's going on in your country.) Two things concern me a little about this guitar. 

(1) The mahogany top. That gives a non-mainstream sound. It's a good sound,  but it might not be what you are expecting. Possibly you'd be better served by a more orthodox spruce or cedar top. Or, of course, you might love the mahogany.

(2) It has a 43mm nut. That is on the narrow side as steel-string guitars go. The standard, insofar as there is a standard,  is 44mm, and 46mm is not uncommon, especially in Europe rather than the US. That single milimetre difference between 43 and 44 might not sound like much but it makes a remarkable difference. You are used to playing classicals, which typically have a 50mm nut. That is a huge difference. I always think it is harder adjusting to a narrow not if you are used to a wide one than going the other way, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, if you possibly can, play before you buy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7845
    I’ve had two, was very meh!  A Yamaha FG310 is way better guitar