Fender velcro'd-on grille frame causing noise (edit: it wasn't the grille)

bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
edited March 2021 in Amps
i put new speakers in my vibrolux last night and, after reassembly, it sounds like the grille is vibrating against the lip of the control panel/chassis and causing a buzz/rattle. the speakers are not overly tight against the baffle, and googling seems to throw up a lot of talk of tightening the grille cloth itself which i don't think is relevant to this situation. 

any ideas how to sort this out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    A piece of self-adhesive weatherstrip foam along the top of the grille or the underside of the chassis (it often sticks better there).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    will get some ordered and report back. thanks once again @ICBM , don't know what i'd do without you!
    i have just installed the weatherstrip foam - a right bloody palaver it was - and it's still making the noise. i have noticed the speaker mount bolts are shaking loose so have applied a dab of blue threadlock there to see if that helps. hopefully, that's the source of the noise, just the speaker gaskets being loose against the baffle
    If you need to threadlock the nuts to stop the frame rattling against the baffle, you haven't tightened them up anywhere near enough.

These Fender combos can sometimes be quite a pain to track down minor rattles and buzzes in though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    If you need to threadlock the nuts to stop the frame rattling against the baffle, you haven't tightened them up anywhere near enough.
    it's quite possible i'm being overcautious to avoid warping these new speakers, but they seem as tight as they need to be? 
    bbill335 said:

it's quite possible i'm being overcautious to avoid warping these new speakers, but they seem as tight as they need to be? 
    They need to clamp the gasket tightly to the baffle - that's what they're for. A small amount of bending of the frame under the nuts is completely normal and won't do any harm.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3142
    edited March 2021 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    bbill335 said:

They need to clamp the gasket tightly to the baffle - that's what they're for. A small amount of bending of the frame under the nuts is completely normal and won't do any harm.

Yup, the appropirate torque is 5Nm, or no more than one full turn once initial contact to the frame has been made
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

i've tightened it up a bit and it's better, certainly fine up to normal home levels.