Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£900 on an amp from Andertons - option paralysis!

What's Hot
StruanRobertsonStruanRobertson Frets: 182
edited February 2021 in Amps
So, I bought a Tone Master Twin Reverb, waited exactly 15 days before deciding it's not for me (I'm not here to start a fight about how good/bad the TM's are - it sounded like I imagined a Twin Reverb would - turns out I don't want that sound).

Anyway, I can now only exchange.

I still need to spend this money on an amp. I play mostly at home, but I'd quite like to be able to take my actual amp to rehearsals when we can again as I'm also in a band. We play loud, off kilter sort of surfy punk rock.

When I'm at home I think to write songs, mess about with my pedals (have plenty of those - lots of overdives) and dream of one day being a decent surf guitarist. I like the sounds of fifties rock, rockabilly and surf, but at the other end of that, I listen to At The Drive-In, Deftones and Fugazi. Not too fussed about classic rock or blues.

Anyway, if anyone's still with me....I have the £919 I paid for the TM to spend on an amp. Has to be Andertons, obviously.

Has to be tube (sorry, just does now), but other than that, I'm pretty open. Could be head and cab or combo and I could maybe add around £300 to the £900, so MAX £1200ish.

Could even spend the whole lot on a head and then buy a second hand cab for home use in a month or so.

Or get an Orange Pedal Baby and a really decent preamp pedal?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-amps/valve-amps?#facet:1209511211410599101957166805840123534848325553481253255534841,12095112114105991019571668058401235553483249484848125324948484841,1209511211410599101957166805840123494848483249534848125324953484841&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&;

I'm thinking Orange Tremlord (loud enough, clean, has reverb and power scaling) if I were to go down the clean route.

Tempted by the REVV as it can be used with headphones for silent practice, but I fear it may be a bit of a washer dryer (not great at either washing or drying, but a good space saving solution).

Would anyone wholeheartedly recommend anything around that price please, and what should I avoid?

Anyone's advice is much appreciated!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5732
    Is it the whole Fender thing that didn’t work for you or just the Twin?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajl said:
    That's the only one I've owned. I like the sound of them on record. And I like reverb. Would t one that's loud enough to rehearse be too loud for home though? They don't really do any power scaling. 

• So, you have credit there, which means there is no hurry.

There'll  be lots of good  (or at the very least) well meaning advice coming about amp choice..

My advice is simply, don’t rush.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @breezytele I shan't rush it.

I did rush into buying the TM TR, watched everything on YouTube and read all I could. 

I've had a real run of not getting the amp that I want. I'm. Probably just very impatient, which is why maybe a 'pedal platform' might be a good way to go.

dazzajl said:
    That's the only one I've owned. I like the sound of them on record. And I like reverb. Would t one that's loud enough to rehearse be too loud for home though? They don't really do any power scaling. 

Kinda depends on what you want it to do at home? My non master v AC30 is both the loudest thing I’ve ever heard (not even amp, just the loudest thing ever) and it’s also an amazing late night noodling amp. It’s still warm and rich at lower than tv volumes. But obviously there’s no amp drive on tap until you can be heard 23 postcodes away. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A Vox is tempting, but can the 15 keep up with a drummer? I had a AC30S1, and even though its lighter than an AC30, it was still very heavy.... 
  • Anyone tried a Supro Delta King yet ? I’ve read good things and they seem to fit the spec  (if it’s a loud 15w that is)
    A Vox is tempting, but can the 15 keep up with a drummer? I had a AC30S1, and even though its lighter than an AC30, it was still very heavy.... 
    In a loud band, you’re not going to get the tight clean sound with the AC15 that I imagine when people talk about surf stuff. 
  • Maybe try the Tremlord, looks a well spec’d amp.
  • Anyone tried a Supro Delta King yet ? I’ve read good things and they seem to fit the spec  (if it’s a loud 15w that is)
    I had a Blues King 12, which was the old name for the same model I think. Never got to play it that loud though.

Sounded good but was very small, so might sound boxy? 

• keirkeir Frets: 137
    A Vox is tempting, but can the 15 keep up with a drummer? I had a AC30S1, and even though its lighter than an AC30, it was still very heavy.... 
    I had one of these with a celestion blue (more efficient than the greenback). It was loud enough to keep up with a drummer but struggled for headroom. 

Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    I had a Blues King 12, which was the old name for the same model I think. Never got to play it that loud though.

Sounded good but was very small, so might sound boxy? 

Ah gotcha.
  • At the risk of being flamed check out Bluguitar amp 1 or wait for Amp x
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • seems like those tremlords are also heavy as shit. Since you mentioned that re the Vox, its a factor. Tremlord is 52 pounds and the Vox AC15 1x12 is 48 pounds.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I like the washer/dryer analogy, very good!

I’d probably go Victory V40 for a blank canvass or maybe a Supro something or other if I wanted a bit more personality.  In really though I’d end up buying a Fender amp, albeit a real valve one and not a pretend valve one. 
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    In that price range the 68 custom deluxe reverb sounds really nice. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    What was it that you didn’t like about the Twin sound? That’s quite important if you want to know which different direction to go in...

Was it the amp itself, or the way it sounded with pedals?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM It was as mostly the way it sounded with pedals, yes. The clean sounds were pretty decent and I liked the reverb. 
  • @PudWud @dindude I'll take a look at the 68 Deluxe Custom thanks

@bermudianbandit I'd say 20kg ish is OK, so both are around that. Ac30 is heavier and massive. You're right though, size and weight is a factor as the amp will mostly live at the top of the house.