Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£900 on an amp from Andertons - option paralysis!

What's Hot

Comments

• I’ve just gone back to an Amp 1 first version and loving it with my AX8 in 4CM. Just waiting to nab a Blubox for when we play live again. No need for a power soak if you want to go direct with no cab. I actually bought it to amplify my Kemper so it may still fill that role as well with my Nanocab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 360
    Victory V40 Deluxe. Job done.
  • Hmmmm.

68 Custom Deluxe Reverb? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you looked at the Rift amps? 

I believe Andertons still stock them, and the various different flavours will almost certainly give you a great pedal platform. 

You could always ask @RiftAmps here to point you at some specific models. 

Yes, I know they're a bit more money, but I've never seen a bad word said. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • They have the Hampstead Artist 20 combo 2nd hand. Maybe you can talk them down a bit on the price. I know you just sold one, but this one is the combo and more importantly isn’t purple.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    A Supro ?
  • They have the Hampstead Artist 20 combo 2nd hand. Maybe you can talk them down a bit on the price. I know you just sold one, but this one is the combo and more importantly isn’t purple.
    Being not purple is a big factor in all future amp choices. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5727
    Wait  I’m really lost now. I thought the only reason any of us don’t have a purple amp is because our amps weren’t offered in purple. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    I've got a sparkle purple zvex nano. Completely not a surf amp.
  • I actually decided to cancel the mid priced guitar I had on order with them (that I wanted, but didn't need), and diverted it all to the amp.

I'm now awaiting arrival of a Boogie Fillmore 25 combo. Quite looking forward to it arriving! 

• newi123 said:
    The 68 custom Princeton is still the most useful amp I`ve ever bought - light, portable and with a speaker change to an eminence Rajun Cajun, perfectly giggable. Not stupid loud, but plenty for pub gigs. I carry a flat sennheiser mic too to hang through the handle  and put a bit through the PA for spread and it`s great. 

It has a fab reverb and vibrato for the 50s and 60s stuff you mention, and personally I`d choose it every time over the 57 Deluxe I also have.

Voiced well for pedals, and it`s small enough to have the power amp valves working a bit, which I find makes drives sit more nicely.

Andertons list them at £969, but there seems to be a bit of a wait currently :-(

Other than that a Super Sonic 22? Heard one gigged at a pub locally a while ago and it sounded stunning with a few pedals. 
    Cannot recommend the SuperSonic 22 at all, not because of the sound, but because they a massively temperamental. I loved mine, but just problem after problem (and this is well known with them). Finally, if not being used a pedal platform, then the drive is very unusual - quite fuzzy in flavour.

Shame that andertons don't stock the Brunetti range, the single man 30 or 50h have the fender clean sound, some good eq options, nice reverb and take pedals very, very well.
  •  Congrats, sounds lovely in the demos I’ve seen.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5727
     Congrats, sounds lovely in the demos I’ve seen.
    Yup. The demos and reviews all looked a bit special. Will be great to see what an actual person makes of one. Definitely excited for you :)
  • I will not make it sound like the demos, that is for sure.

I feel like I'm going to disappear down a Santana rabbit hole and end up buying a Yamaha SG. Despite the fact I can't solo and I play in a punk rock band....

Thanks for all the advice chaps. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    Interesting - I've not seen one of those yet. It looks like a miniature Heartbreaker, although that doesn't necessarily mean it sounds like one... but if it does that's a very good thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    As above variously, HRD or Yamaha THR100 HD, ideally with matching cab.

Sorry I haven't checked if Andertons sell the latter.
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    ICBM said:
    Interesting - I've not seen one of those yet. It looks like a miniature Heartbreaker, although that doesn't necessarily mean it sounds like one... but if it does that's a very good thing.
    Are you a former heartbreaker owner? 

Mine has stood the test of time and is still with me after 21 years! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    De_Batz said:

Are you a former heartbreaker owner? 

Mine has stood the test of time and is still with me after 21 years! 
    No, never owned one. Played one once and thought it sounded great, but it was impossible to move even compared to my Trem-o-verbs. No end handles... probably the heaviest one-hand lift in the universe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited February 2021
    dazzajl said:
    A Vox is tempting, but can the 15 keep up with a drummer? I had a AC30S1, and even though its lighter than an AC30, it was still very heavy.... 
    In a loud band, you’re not going to get the tight clean sound with the AC15 that I imagine when people talk about surf stuff. 
    Agreed, the AC15 breaks up too early, so an AC30 would be the better option. But they are darned heavy. However , although more expensive, a head and cab are more manageable than a combo and the AC30 is available as a head. There is Also a 1x12 AC30 though which is lighter.

The problem with valve amps is that they are heavy beasts, especially if you are looking at a 2x12 format. 

Have you tried something like a Fender Princeton? If not, might be worth trying one out. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    dazzajl said:
    A Vox is tempting, but can the 15 keep up with a drummer? I had a AC30S1, and even though its lighter than an AC30, it was still very heavy.... 
    In a loud band, you’re not going to get the tight clean sound with the AC15 that I imagine when people talk about surf stuff. 
    Agreed, the AC15 breaks up too early, so an AC30 would be the better option. But they are darned heavy. However , although more expensive, a head and cab are more manageable than a combo and the AC30 is available as a head. There is Also a 1x12 AC30 though which is lighter.

The problem with valve amps is that they are heavy beasts, especially if you are looking at a 2x12 format. 

Have you tried something like a Fender Princeton? If not, might be worth trying one out. 
    I went for a Boogie Fillmore 25. Has a kind of hot rodded Princeton thing apparently. 

It arrives tomorrow.