When was the last time you changed your mask?

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 4877
    I use a new one every time I go somewhere where I need one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 1548
    I have two washable masks that I wash once a week. But then I rarely need to wear a mask as I work outside. Only ever wear one when shopping or have to go inside a building to pay for something
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 4984
    edited February 20
    This morning. My wife used up cotton off-cuts making several dozen for family members. We’ve gone a dozen or so kicking ‘round the house, or in the wash cycle. Today I treated myself to a new one, although it does say “Happy Christmas”.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 18571
    Hmmnn ... probably every couple of weeks, but I don't need to wear a mask often, an occasional shop in an extremely quiet superstore next to where I work.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 21040
    Every day, but I have to wear them for 8-10 hours.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1037
    I've only ever had one mask. I've been using it since June last year  :#
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 2463
    Because i have a vig head and even bigger beard, i use bandanas. I have about 15 on rotation 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2473

The popular light blue masks that many people are using are apparently only effective for 4 hours according to a consultant cardiologist I was talking to.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 6148
    I wash mine but it's suffering from bobbling .... had to shave the bobbles off with a stanly blade earlier :) I like to reuse, the last thing this planet needs is 1 Billion  masks discarded into landfill and the ocean. 

No masks are effective against the current strain. At my wife's place they all wear visors and it still spread through the entire home and she caught it, as did 80% of staff. I wear one anyone, it may slow the spread the bit. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 670
    edited February 20
    Never. Six month old, filth encrusted disposable thing which stays in my coat pocket along with the car keys and my loose change.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 8653
    I use a cycling neck warmer thing. It doesn't get washed enough. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 463
    edited February 21
    I wear a motorbike neck warmer with a blue disposable mask under when going into shops and wash/change every few weeks
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 1062
    edited February 21
    Got quite few washables ones and double skin neck warmer/ bandanas for my beard.. so they get used once or most twice a week for a few minutes shopping before being washed.  I am out so rarely, seems the best compromise to reduce mask litter, which seems to be everywhere.  Always a few washed up on riverbank, so plenty must be making it into the ocean now.  
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 7193
    Not often.

I only wear it because it's against the rules not to.

From what I can see, they make very little difference.  There didn't seem to be any difference in the rate of spread after masks became compulsory.

They also encourage people to be in closer proximity (search up risk compensation).  Last year I was queueing outside B&Q when they were limiting the numbers in store.  Everyone in the queue was keeping 2m apart, except for a group wearing masks, who were right up behind the person in front of them in the queue.

The sooner we can stop wearing the horrible things the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    crunchman said:
    Not often.

From what I can see, they make very little difference.  There didn't seem to be any difference in the rate of spread after masks became compulsory.

They also encourage people to be in closer proximity (search up risk compensation).  Last year I was queueing outside B&Q when they were limiting the numbers in store.  Everyone in the queue was keeping 2m apart, except for a group wearing masks, who were right up behind the person in front of them in the queue.

This. I work in a busy superstore, and mask compulsion ended any pretence of social distancing in this very compliant area instantly. It wasn't just a general shift in trend, it was like flicking a switch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1037
    crunchman said:
    Not often.

Totally agree.  Mine stinks now.  
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 3691
    crunchman said:
    Not often.

Couldn’t agree more. Peston is now reporting kids in senior school will be made to wear them all day. That’s more environmental damage done for minimal benefit
    chris78 said:
    crunchman said:
    Not often.

Couldn’t agree more. Peston is now reporting kids in senior school will be made to wear them all day. That’s more environmental damage done for minimal benefit

Boris didn't say that.  He did announce twice a week testing.

Waiting until April 12th for shops to reopen is utterly ridiculous.  Boris needs a get a grip.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 1453
    Seeing people in masks actually reminds me to keep my distance. 
    MYMUSIC

I wanna be a door
  • Nick13Nick13 Frets: 288
    crunchman said:
    chris78 said:
    crunchman said:
    Not often.

Waiting until April 12th for shops to reopen is utterly ridiculous.  Boris needs a get a grip.
    Count yourself lucky, if Boris is going for April we will be lucky if its by July in Scotland.

crunchman said:

I think it’s been noted I’m a lockdown sceptic.
    I can’t really argue with the timetable. I think it’s as aggressive as is politically possible 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1430
    FFP3 masks everyday for 12hrs at the time. I change approx 3 times per shift. 

And I hate them as well.
    chris78 said:
    crunchman said:

I can’t really argue with the timetable. I think it’s as aggressive as is politically possible 

No it's not.  You don't need to wait 5 weeks between steps to see what it's doing to the fatality figures.  You will be able to see what is happening to the number of cases after 2 or 3 weeks.  If cases aren't going up, then you move to the next step, and don't waste 2 weeks at each stage.
    edited February 22
    crunchman said:
    chris78 said:
    crunchman said:

No it's not.  You don't need to wait 5 weeks between steps to see what it's doing to the fatality figures.  You will be able to see what is happening to the number of cases after 2 or 3 weeks.  If cases aren't going up, then you move to the next step, and don't waste 2 weeks at each stage.
    You're both right, in that two to three weeks is plenty, but infection lag is politically too nuanced for the plebs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    p90fool said:
    You're both right, in that two to three weeks is plenty, but infection lag is politically too nuanced for the plebs. 
    Exactly that. The one thing the PM can’t risk is things going wrong. If things did get out of control (which I think with vaccines is hugely unlikely) he’s finished
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 29157
    edited February 23
    I haven't had to use a mask in over 2 weeks- food/milk gets delivered, no one comes to the house and I am not travelling so I don't even need to fill up with fuel.

It is a bit lonely.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 726
    I washed one of the disposable ones I keep in the van for the rare occasion I need to go into a shop last week. Turns out they're surprisingly robust for something that's meant to be disposable
    And I should really remember to check hoodie pockets before throwing them in the wash   :o

At work, I go through one or two disposables a day. I hate buffs, and I can't be bothered with having a collection of reusable ones that are on continual rotation.
  • Never ,on the rare occasion I leave the house and have to go in a place that requires them I wear one of those large Arabic shemagh ? Wrapped round my face .  
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 112
    edited February 22
    Back in the first March 2020 lockdown I could see that mask wearing was going to come into play (despite the constant UK Gov misinformation re. masks not being necessary at that point). Placed an order for a family set of Cambridge Masks (treated with antibacterial silver, incorporating a filter, military grade filter technology developed for the British Army, etc). Myself, my wife and brother have been wearing the masks from August to just recently when I placed another order for a replacement set. Given that both my wife and myself are in public facing jobs with mandatory mask wearing at work, plus we rely on public transport, also my brother works in a large Royal Mail sorting office, I thought it best that we all have the best masks that we could lay our hands on.

The upsides have been that none of us has got sick with the virus (touch wood!), plus the masks fit well (some masks I find that I can’t get comfortable with and am always pulling them up or down), lightweight for what are thick and slightly bulky masks, and remain cool and breathable due to the excellent filter. 

The downsides are that they are a little ‘Darth Vader’ in appearance, (especially in either black or dark grey), and that the non-replaceable filter tends not to work after around 340 or so hours wear time, rendering the mask hot and uncomfortable. They are also very expensive at £24.75 each (reduced to £19.99 if bought as a family set of five). 

I did briefly try the lower cost, AB Mask (with disposable filters) but it was nowhere near as good as the Cambridge mask.