Awful songs that somehow made it.

What's Hot
1101112131416»

Comments

• DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    edited October 2021
    Achy Breaky Heart
    We Built This City

Pretty much anything new that comes out of Nashville that falls into the category of bro country

USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    Very pleased to see no mention of Seaside Shuffle.....a real one hit wonder from Brett Marvin and the Thunderbolts.

It's funny that there's so much hate for Mustang Sally though.  All those old soul songs are so good.  A mate of mine used to be in a band that did that, Walking the Dog,Land of a 1000 Dances etc and the audience would always be on their feet.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited October 2021
    Reverend said:
    I looked up the UK Charts when I turned 14 (which wasn't that long ago) and had to go down to no 40 until I found a song I actually remember/recognise. Not a very good song, but listenable, it was not a good time for music.
    Justbdid then same for my 14th birthday.  Reet Petite, living on a prayer,  final countdown, over the hills and far away, jack your body, caravan of love,and more. 
    Pretty memorable selection. 

I just checked out the charts for the year I was 14 - Top 5 is Black Box, Jive Bunny, Soul II Soul, The Bangles and Jason Donovan - so not a vintage era for popular music - its just as well that 14 yr old me was instead listenng to Godflesh, Morbid Angel, Autopsy and Terrorizer

As for awful songs that make it - Ive always been bewildered by Robbie Williams' success - he is at best a Butlins redcoat/karaoke level vocalist with his horrible warbling / 'look at me everyone' stage presence, and his most popular tracks have to rank as some of the most annoying songs ever recorded.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • By the way @BloodEagle there's a new Carcass album out. \m/
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Reverend said:
    I looked up the UK Charts when I turned 14 (which wasn't that long ago) and had to go down to no 40 until I found a song I actually remember/recognise. Not a very good song, but listenable, it was not a good time for music.
    Justbdid then same for my 14th birthday.  Reet Petite, living on a prayer,  final countdown, over the hills and far away, jack your body, caravan of love,and more. 
    Pretty memorable selection. 

I just checked out the charts for the year I was 14 - Top 5 is Black Box, Jive Bunny, Soul II Soul, The Bangles and Jason Donovan - so not a vintage era for popular music - its just as well that 14 yr old me was instead listenng to Godflesh, Morbid Angel, Autopsy and Terrorizer

As for awful songs that make it - Ive always been bewildered by Robbie Williams' success - he is at best a Butlins redcoat/karaoke level vocalist with his horrible warbling / 'look at me everyone' stage presence, and his most popular tracks have to rank as some of the most annoying songs ever recorded.
    I didn't discover any of them until I was 16. I only found out about Napalm Death when I was 15. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    rlw said:
    It's funny that there's so much hate for Mustang Sally though.  
    It really isn't....
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1328
    edited October 2021
    We do Play that Funky Music in my cover band (thank you for your condolences in advance) - a song I absolutely hate to do since I've seen so many bands murder it (ours included  ;-) - see also Stevie Wonder / Ray's Superstition.
    On a recent long commute it came up on  the playlist and ...wow - it's a catchy hook ridden song that really swings. No denying the groove with this one. That horn orchestration. Watch out for that funky B7 sharp 9th Hendrix chord at the end of the choruses.
    Part of the reason I hate to play it is to perform it well you've got to be able to play ... and I mean really play.
    Any hack player can slide 9th chords around thinking they're backing James Brown at the Apollo...but to do it justice, be in the pocket ...hmmm  - not as easy as it sounds. My own hackery on this thing is often on public display!!

No excuse for the Crazy Frog song though. Dreadful t*oss.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    4 non blondes - what's going on
    spin doctors - two princes
    I had a pang of nostalgia and rebought pocketful of kryptonite on CD, as I only had it on tape back then. It's a bit cheesy, but I've got to say. It's not bad. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    ICBM said:
    rogd said:
    Someone left a cake out in the effin' rain????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    According to Jimmy Webb, that was literally true.

I can’t quite decide if it’s awful or a work of genius - or both. You really need the original Richard Harris version for the full effect. I like it whichever it is...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacArthur_Park_(song)
    I intend to have this played at my funeral. It's daft, over long, but genius. And it will be my one last chance to fuck with people. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Beyonce's entire back catalogue.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlw said:
    Very pleased to see no mention of Seaside Shuffle.....a real one hit wonder from Brett Marvin and the Thunderbolts.

That's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine! Written by John T. Lewis who'd later hit the charts again as Jona Lewie.