New Zoom G6 v Pod Go

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
edited February 2021 in FX
I have a Pod Go that I think is great and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It has some great features and I really like that volume and wah are set by default so you can engage wah in any patch without having to program them in on every patch (but you still have vol type and wah type options, and you can override and set Expression pedal to do pretty much anything).  But it would benefit from some some improvements. Up to now, it hasn't really had a close like for like competitor in terms of size, floor control, price and features.  But it may now have.

Image 1 - ZOOM-G6-Multi-Effects-Processor-for-Guitarists-DHL-Shipping-New

Clearly targeted at Pod Go, unlike the G11 that was a disaster... ugly, overpriced, bulky and meh sounding, this new G6 looks genuinely interesting.  It's also being referred to as Zooms new flagship, which seems to suggest that Zoom has resigned itself to the fact that G11 was pretty much a commercial failure.  

In G6 I particularly like the memory mode that lets you easily take groups of 4 patches from anywhere, select the same as many times as you want, and organise them into a set list order...something the Pod Go could do with. Pod Go has 4 snapshots, that have the advantage of non latent switching mid song, but they have to be programmed in, and you can't name them so remembering what they do is a problem. This is on Line 6's radar for future upgrades, as is multi stomp function naming, but it won't be included in the forthcoming firmware upgrade that will aim to give Pod Go some lower DSP draining features from the recent Helix v3.0 upgrade.

And I really like the simple single switch operation to stroll through modes. On the Pod Go you have to press 2 buttons, which I normally  hate, although  I've had no problems with it to be fair.

And unlike Line 6 who are somewhat coy or even secretive about DSP allowances, Zoom are straight up about DSP usage because the G6 tells you exactly how much DSP % is being used by each selection, to help you better manage your amp, cab/IR/fx selections in each patch. If it wasnt for an excellent video and DSP usage chart created independently by Benvesco (not connected to Line 6) Helix and Pod Go users would have had no information regarding the DSP cost of their selections.  

The G6 also comes with a dedicated looper section that looks like it can be used in any patch without having to select it as a patch effect.  This seems way better than the very awkward and limited looper functionality in Pod Go. G6 gives 45 secs stereo looping on board or up to 2 hours, Inc ability to save loops, on an sd card. 

Bluetooth connectivity for phone is a nice touch, although the Zoom blue tooth dongle is over priced ( but you can probably source a compatible generic unit cheaper). Not essential for me, but the touch screen might be useful for some ( I personally really like the Pod Go interface even without touch screen), and it has 68 rhythms. In addition to 22 cabs it comes with 70 IRs and ability to import more via sd card. 

Personally I'm not interested in the extra weird effects it offers but it does have some type of polysynth effect that Pod Go can't have from Helix v3.0 because it is too DSP hungry. Probably not the same thing re dsp limitations, but possibly still a useful option for those into that type of fx. 

If the modelling quality is up to Line 6 Helix standards, then I think this time Zoom has got it much more right and the G6 should do well.  I do like that Zoom also regularly provide firmware updates to keep customers interested. Whilst Pod Go has had updates, these were to fix bugs and users are still awaiting the first proper Pod Go upgrade that Line 6 will only say is coming " soonish". 

I'm a great believer in competition and up to now Pod Go had no real equivalent competition. There are quite a few good compact mfx out there like Ampero and Mooer 150/200/250 etc, but they lacked adequate floor control to be a bonafide one stop gigging tool. The GE300 did, but even though prices have dropped and it can now be found for around £535, it's still a lot more than Pod Go and probably fits somewhere between PG and Helix LT. 

With a bit of luck, Line 6 will react with more regular firmware upgrades for Pod Go to give much needed improvements. I'd certainly like to see the Memory function added as well as snap shot naming and naming of multi pedal operations, but most importantly more user slots eg from 4 to 6, akin to the v3.0 upgrade in HX Stomp where Line 6 upped 6 slots to 8. Doesn't increase DSP but adds flexibility with more DSP 'prudent' amp and fx choices. And a DSP % indicator by each amp/fx option would be helpful.

Interestingly, subject to DSP limitations, the G6 allows up to 9 effects or 7 if an amp and cab is selected.  A big complaint from many Pod Go users is that forcing an amp and cab to be a fixed block (when the dsp remains allocated even if amp/ cab switched off) means they can't free up extra dsp to use Pod Go as a more flexible pure fx unit if they go through a real amp and cab.  Line 6's original Pod Go philosophy was to provide a user friendly, simpler approach that would give users most of what they wanted most of the time.  Pod Go has certainly been a big success for Line 6.  But customers & potential customers, through forums, vids, articles etc are now much more clued up 're understanding about DSP allocation limits, and perhaps it's now the right time for Line 6 to take the training wheels off the bicycle with Pod Go, and give greater choice to users as to how they want to use the available DSP.   
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2319
     I like the fact that you can store loops which is something that is missing on the line 6 HX and Boss GT1000core.  That would be handy for one of my bands where we do sometimes want to use loops for 2nd guitar.

It still looks like a bit of a toy though.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    thomasw88 said:
     I like the fact that you can store loops which is something that is missing on the line 6 HX and Boss GT1000core.  That would be handy for one of my bands where we do sometimes want to use loops for 2nd guitar.

I disagree...whilst G11 did, I don't think G6 looks like a toy at all. Zoom has departed from individual effect control panels with the paddles it had in G11 and G5n, to give it a more modern streamlined, and compact look with cleaner lines, and it's black with no odd pedal colours. The LCD screen is touch, and similar in size to Pod Go.  I havent one to try out, but it looks to be well featured and is clearly influenced by Pod Go. 

I'm not suggesting it's better or worse than Pod Go, but there are interesting similarities as well as some interesting, different and useful features. I'm merely suggesting that this is a new MFX that appears to be in the same class as Pod Go and could be a market competitor. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Don't know if the modelling has been updated but I had a G3 as a Helix backup which although it sounded fine, there was something about it, it just didn't feel right to play.  It certainly lacked the dynamics of the Helix
    edited February 2021
    John_A said:
    Don't know if the modelling has been updated but I had a G3 as a Helix backup which although it sounded fine, there was something about it, it just didn't feel right to play.  It certainly lacked the dynamics of the Helix
    I had the G5. The modelling was reasonable but not brilliant. I had the G5n for a while, which was better.  My best understanding from what I've read is that the G6 modelling is more sophisticated and is up there with Line 6, Mooer, Boss  But until there are independent comparison reviews and videos, or unless I can get one to try and compare with my Pod Go, it's an unknown factor.  
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    edited February 2021
    I don’t think I could buy a Zoom product over a Pod Go. Even if they managed to match the Helix quality modelling.

Line 6 seem to be sticking with their hardware and offering updates and Zoom seem to keep binning stuff off and launching new units.

I feel like the depreciation on it would be too much if I didn’t get on with it, where Line 6 has a pretty reasonable resale value.

The Pod Go seems a safer bet in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88 said:

They all look like toys in fairness...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    edited February 2021
    I've got a G3 and still use it occasionally, it's particularly good for headphone practice as it has effects for stereo width/air.

The Zoom G6 does interest me. It looks like it has some good features - especially the looper. One slight thing that puts me off is the touchscreen looks a bit sluggish in the videos I've seen. But then it's not like I would be constantly using that - more of an occasional thing. 

Definitely keeping an eye on this, might try one when they come down in price a bit. It definitely looks more versatile than the Pod Go to me.

Just to clarify guys, I'm not suggesting in any way which is better. As I said at outset, I have Pod Go and am very pleased with it and I like Line 6. I'm merely suggesting that the G6 appears to be a genuine potential competitor to Pod Go at a similar size, cost, functionality etc with some interesting options. 

Both manufacturers are well regarded and have loyal customer bases. Zoom has traditionally been perceived as more at the lower priced end of the market, with Line 6 perceived as targeting the more mid to upper end of the market for those that are willing to pay more for greater sophistication. This contributed I'm sure to the G11 market failure, whereas G6 and Pod Go appear to be much more similar animals aimed at similar markets.

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    Andertons have it up to pre order at £369 so pricing is competitive. 
    Link to my trading feedback