Analogue chorus w/true bypass

What's Hot
GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3491
Looking to get something more robust than my CE2B for when(if) gigs return. What's available? Preferably a single space box. Merci. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• More robust than a Boss stomp? Good luck with that!

Or are you using robust in some other sense? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited February 2021
    Marshall pedals are built like a tank! I have 4 of them, BB2 Bluesbreaker, GV2 Guvnr II Plus, EH1 Echohead, and RG1 Regenerator.  The EH1 and RG1 offer multi fx option.  Hugely under rated pedals. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3491
    It's an old Boss. Like, 12v old. I want something a little more replaceable. 
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited February 2021
    Mooer chorus ensemble king. Easily replaceable if broken.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Bass Clone EHX cheap as chips.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Greatape said:
    It's an old Boss. Like, 12v old. I want something a little more replaceable. 
    Boss CEB-3.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited February 2021
    Ibanez Micro Chorus seems pretty good and not too boutique or crazy. I quite liked the EHX Neo Clone I had, I'm not huge into the lush 80s kind of chorus and it seemed nice for my tastes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 154
    Way huge Blue Hippo - analog and true bypass and the smalls version will only take up one space on the board. 
  • I like the MXR Analogue Chorus, to my ears it was a lot like a CE-2 but with more controls so I think it would be a good substitute. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Providence Anadime, though don't see them often. The later one has a mix pot added.
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 156
    I like the MXR Analogue Chorus, to my ears it was a lot like a CE-2 but with more controls so I think it would be a good substitute. 
    Pretty infamously non-TB, though. In certain configurations it seems to eat treble.

I have the Ibanez Chorus Mini, and barring the bewildering lack of painted indicator lines on the smaller pots, like it a lot. 
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    Voxman said:
    Marshall pedals are built like a tank! I have 4 of them, BB2 Bluesbreaker, GV2 Guvnr II Plus, EH1 Echohead, and RG1 Regenerator.  The EH1 and RG1 offer multi fx option.  Hugely under rated pedals. 
    I have 3, the BB2, GV2 and good old Ed the Compressor. All of them are really good honest 'workers', IMO. My only reservations are you can't see the knob settings on stage but that doesn't matter on my BB2 as I have had to rob 2 of the knobs to replace lost ones on the it's brothers  =)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Voxman said:
    They are, although they're also not true bypass, and the switches aren't the most robust. (I'm always far more bothered by the second than the first.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited February 2021
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:
    They are, although they're also not true bypass, and the switches aren't the most robust. (I'm always far more bothered by the second than the first.)
    Never had a problem with any of the switches. I bought all of these used, but with the BB2 there was an odd noise in boost mode. Marshall said send it to them, so I did. They fixed it and returned it at no cost...saying it was a duff resistor on the board and that they operate an unofficial lifetime warranty on their pedals...even though I did tell them it was bought used! Hows that for fab customer service! 

@dilbert ...agree 're shiny knobs but can be resolved with sticky tape and marker or you can even get push on matt marked tops that go on top of the knobs, or you can replace the knobs. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    I have a Tone Shitty Angel Wing at the moment which is ok. Cheap enough to replace. 

I had a Boss ce1 but with high gain tones it was like microphonic and if I banged it you’d hear the thump through the amp. Dont ask.. 

I had a Marshall regenerator before that but it had some kind of floating current on its chassis. Same as an iphone has when its plugged in and charging, could run your finger over it and feel vibrations on its metal shell and I didnt like it. 

I’m never feckin happy. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Alexlotl said:
    I like the MXR Analogue Chorus, to my ears it was a lot like a CE-2 but with more controls so I think it would be a good substitute. 
    Pretty infamously non-TB, though. In certain configurations it seems to eat treble.

I had that with the one I owned, unfortunately. First noticed a treble loss on the pedalboard compared to direct into the amp, and narrowed it down to this, and tried both buffered and true bypass tuners.

Shame, as if they sorted the bypass treble loss (whether true or buffer), I’d have another like a shot, as the chorus effect on it is great and compares favourably to the MXR 18v stereo chorus and also the Boss CE-2W. 
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 366
    edited March 2021
    It’s amazing that the MXR Analog is the only compact analogue chorus with both mix / blend and tone controls. I find mix and the ability to roll top end off the modulated signal essential for the sound I am after. The Boss CE-5 does it too but they went digital and it was never as rich as the MXR. The Anadime ADC-4 is great too, a cleaner, more open sound than the MXR I think (they may raise the voltage internally like the SOV-2 drive), but no tone control and for some reason it doesn’t work so well with overdrive following as the MXR. (I have been down a bit of a rabbit hole with these).

True bypass... browsing Reverb one evening I spotted an MXR Analog for sale with a true bypass mod. I dithered and missed it but later found the link below. It’s not an easy mod to do but I did mine (without moving the switch) and it fine, slight click when engaged but no loud pop or thump.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=123744.0
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • I really, really like the visual sound chorus pedal. 
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2335
    @ThePrettyDamned ;
    I don't know anything about the VS pedals, but I can see that there are different versions.  Which Chorus do you recommend? V1, V2? 
  • Ddigger said:
    @ThePrettyDamned ;
    I don't know anything about the VS pedals, but I can see that there are different versions.  Which Chorus do you recommend? V1, V2? 
    V2 or v3. V1 had mechanical switches which are the same as a lot of boutique pedals. V2 and V3 have the same style circuit, but a soft switch that's more reliable and the chorus has a vibe setting (and can go faster/deeper as well). 

I really love them.