SORTED: identify Harley-Benton model

FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
edited February 2021 in Bass
My attention has been drawn to a Harley-Benton bass guitar in a local charity shop window.

The neck has the typical H-B four-in-line headstock with the pointy bit at the end where a Fender is rounded.

The body is a P format with no pickguard, rear-mounted controls, set further in from the body edge than normal. This reminds me slightly of an Encore short scale model.

Could this be the discontinued H-B P90 model short scale bass guitar? Did it have a 34" scale equivalent model?

Photographs to follow later this week.

Be seeing you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    If it's not got a pick guard then it's not one of the original HB Shortys. They all had pick guards. I think the p90 was a later release without pick guard. 

I wonder if they did an earlier full scale p90 type without pick guard? Can't find any evidence of it.

If the body is definitely HB then it could be a Shorty p90 body with a standard P20/50 neck I guess... weird, either way 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    I have not actually seen the thing. Just had it described to me and a few questions answered.

TBH, a full-scale neck, grafted onto a small body would be more useful than a complete and original short scale bass. The neck could be transplanted onto a Squier Affinity body that I have stashed away.
    Be seeing you.
    I have not actually seen the thing. Just had it described to me and a few questions answered.

TBH, a full-scale neck, grafted onto a small body would be more useful than a complete and original short scale bass. The neck could be transplanted onto a Squier Affinity body that I have stashed away.
    I wonder if it’s actually still short scale if you’ve not seen it
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1072
    as you say sounds very much like the HB P-90

Curiosity got the better of me. Walked to charity shop. Looked into window. It's a HBP90 short scale. Ambitiously priced at £65. (As is an old-style Gear4Music JT guitar.
    Be seeing you.
    Curiosity got the better of me. Walked to charity shop. Looked into window. It's a HBP90 short scale. Ambitiously priced at £65. (As is an old-style Gear4Music JT guitar.
    I dunno - they are a bit cult-classic on talkbass.. 65 notes if usable is pretty good for a “cult classic” dontchaknow ;)
    And it is for charidee
    The person who might buy the bass is a bit of a charity case himself. He cannot seem to hang on to musical gear for more than a few months. Thus, a budget bass would suffice for a short-lived band project, if/when lockdown ever ends.

If I were to buy a HBP90 bass, I would be thinking to convert it to a tenor guitar.
    Be seeing you.
    The person who might buy the bass is a bit of a charity case himself. He cannot seem to hang on to musical gear for more than a few months. Thus, a budget bass would suffice for a short-lived band project, if/when lockdown ever ends.

If I were to buy a HBP90 bass, I would be thinking to convert it to a tenor guitar.
    Risky strategy. 

Though I hear with a pickup upgrade they can be as good as any tier one manufacturer.. 

Maybe it may have value as the basis for a parts bin special.

What colour was it btw?
    Any colour you like as long as it's black. Insipid fingerboard needs to guzzle lemon oil. Controls have non-original speed knobs. (These could be worth more than the rest of the thing combined.) In short, a project for the same price as some kit basses.
    Be seeing you.
  • I bought one about ten years ago. Cost €66 in those days. 

I listed in on Facebook for five years, lowering the price to £10 and couldn't sell it. A chap wanted a cheap bass for his father-in-law and it was swapped for a pedalboard with crappy pedals (sold them for £50).