What if, when Stuart Sutcliffe left The Beatles …

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
… to concentrate on Art and Astrid, Paul had stayed on guitar/piano and either John or George had switched to bass guitar?

How good, bad or indifferent would the band have been? 

How long would it have lasted?
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I could believe George might have done it, and been quite good - John just had the wrong kind of rhythmic style to do well on bass. They all thought George was the best guitarist though, so without actually replacing Stuart there was only one choice...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TanninTannin Frets: 5418
    Easy. Get Paul to play drums and put Ringo on bass. Fixed.

(Anyone can play bass. If bass playing was hard, bass players would not be able to do it.)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Pete Best on bass, huh? (Barry Wom was yet to be discovered, hiding in the back of the van.) 

Tannin said:
    Anyone can play bass. If bass playing was hard, bass players would not be able to do it.
    Them's fightin' words, Buster. 

If Paul McCartney did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him … and James Jamerson and Jack Bruce and Larry Graham and Jaco Pastorius. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    The roles weren't that clear cut anyway.  For example there's a lot of debate as to who played what on "Paperback Writer", George certainly played bass on one of the recording sessions, I believe, and I'm pretty sure Paul was responsible for the intro guitar riff.

How the fab four lined up on stage is a complete distraction from the way in which they approached their music and recording in the studio.    

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom