Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA Repair Shop, BBC1

What's Hot
NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
Right now (20:00 Weds 24/02) a chap has brought on a 1959/60 Hofner Club guitar for repair - it's pretty much a wreck!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    edited February 2021
    Luckily have already set that to record. Is it Julyan again doing the repair?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    He's managed to get the neck off, and is now removing the frets.  Luthier is a chap called Julyan Wallis.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    edited February 2021
    Nitefly said:
    He's managed to get the neck off, and is now removing the frets.  Luthier is a chap called Julyan Wallis.

Yes, Julyan Wallis is The Guitar Doctor based just outside Penzance in Cornwall. I knew him quite well when. I lived in Cornwall. Nice guy.

He dealt with the Levin archtop that someone took to the Repair Shop in a previous episode.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I’m watching it - looks good so far. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Well done, that man!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    Short and sweet, but didn't it look great!

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Oh come on. Is that guy for real? 

Oh hang on it’s a TV show, makes sense now 

And that cockerel looked like something my kids make out of the recycling box
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So is two screws through the fretboard how these were originally built?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    He did a bloody good job !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Watching on catch up now! Thanks.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    So is two screws through the fretboard how these were originally built?
    I was shocked when I saw him do that!

What an amazing job he did though - the guitar looked superb at the end, must have made the guy's day.
  • Nice to see it restored so well and how happy the owner was with it.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Andy79 said:

And that cockerel looked like something my kids make out of the recycling box

He absolutely nailed it.  It is repaired yet it looks like it has been on the church roof for the last 200 years.  Amazing skill.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Thanks, just watched it. I've been meaning to watch that programme for a while but never got round to it and this was a good excuse. Amazing skills on display.
  • Repair Shop - I f*cking hate it.

Can’t stand the TV fakery - “Oooh, look who’s just randomly turned up with a knackered clock - and by some strange coincidence, we appear to have a visiting horologist in the house”. Also can’t bear cockney geezer Jay Blades or Bill Patterson’s plummy voice-overs.

it’s like the televisual equivalent of Simon Bates’s “Our Tune” back in the ‘80’s.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    Repair Shop - I f*cking hate it.

Can’t stand the TV fakery - “Oooh, look who’s just randomly turned up with a knackered clock - and by some strange coincidence, we appear to have a visiting horologist in the house”. Also can’t bear cockney geezer Jay Blades or Bill Patterson’s plummy voice-overs.

it’s like the televisual equivalent of Simon Bates’s “Our Tune” back in the ‘80’s.
    This, 100%
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    Also every item has a charming history of love, memories of grandpa and the kids playing shove ha'penny, tiffin and how much it would mean to him if he was still alive.
    Nauseating. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1725
    edited February 2021
    Sarge said:
    Also every item has a charming history of love, memories of grandpa and the kids playing shove ha'penny, tiffin and how much it would mean to him if he was still alive.
    Nauseating. 
    I’m with you guys on this.

I love the work the guys do - they are excellent. ...it’s the bullshit human factor I hate. Which we HAVE to endure on so many tv shows these days.

...so and so artifact meant so much to xyz, that they never bothered to ever look at getting it fixed or restored for 20-30-40 years, covered in dust and crap in the back of the shed until the offer of some free expert help turns up with 5 minutes on the telly included.

A lot of the stuff that turn up is junk worth many times less than the work and expertise would cost to fix it up. 

Those guys must roll their eyes at some of the crap they are asked to work on - being paid well by the Beeb obviously helps overcome that I would hope!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Whenever any of the punters say they'd promised themselves they wouldn't cry we always scream "You have to, it's in the bloody contract!" at the TV. 
    In fact my wife calls the show Takes Out Onion. 

We tend to entertain ourselves by inventing "real" back stories, like the two generations of scallys who turn up on their social sticks with a crappy twocked Hofner, to get it tarted up for free so Cash Converters will accept it. 

The experts really do seem to be experts, but the schmaltz and the lies are absolutely shameless. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    It seems that almost all telly programmes these days have to have some sort of human back-story.

You can no longer have "this is Bill, he has an interesting shop that sells..." and it's into the shop to have a look.

No. Nowadays we have to find out how Bill's feet are on the wrong legs and an owl flew into him when he was twelve and left him unable to use a teaspoon.

It fills airtime, replacing content with nausea. 
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom