Wiring help

I'm trying to work out how to wire a strat with two humbuckers with coil split

Can I get anything useful using a standard 5 way blade switch or will I need a super switch
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    With a standard 5-way you can get each humbucker combined with the other split one in the 2 and 4 positions.

Wire the switch like a standard 3-way Tele switch - with each full humbucker to the two rotors and four contacts to the volume control - and connect the coil split of each pickup to the spare terminal at the opposite end, so it’s only split when it’s off and in the next position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    phil_b said:
    a standard 5 way blade switch
    What format of five-way selector switch do you have?

If it is the eight-contacts-in-a-line PCB type, there are two potential problems. 
    1) Some of them now come with permanent bridging links between some of their terminals. 
    2) These switches fail very easily.

If you need to change the original switch anyway, you might as well upgrade. 

The choice of switch format depends on what you require a HH Stratocaster to do.

ICBM has described a circuit similar to the current PRS Custom. My suggestion is the Ibanez HH five-way circuit. This offers;
    Neck humbucker (series)
    Neck humbucker (coils in Parallel)
    Both humbuckers
    Inside coils (faux Stratty in-between sound)
    Bridge humbucker
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    The switch I have is a crl switch.

I guess my problem is deciding what I want out of it. 

I could just go for a simple 3 way switch and just use them as humbuckers. But with the coil split option it opens up many different combinations. Especially if you use series/parallel and in/out of phase options. But I do also think to many options can become a bit of a distraction 

I saw a demo of the fender blacktop strat And thought that was a neat solution. 

So with 2 humbuckers with splits what combinations are most desirable 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    edited February 2021
    If you have a CRL 5-way then try the one I posted above - it’s simple, logical and gives two more useful sounds while keeping both-humbuckers in the middle, so you’re not losing anything compared to the 3-way.

The other simple option is a push-pull pot to split the pickups. You can either have one to do both pickups, or if there are two pots you can split them individually, or use one to split them and the other to choose which coil is active.

With a superswitch the possibilities are almost endless, but the one Funkfingers posted is good, or you can duplicate the PRS rotary switch settings, or more simply just have both-humbuckers in the middle, and inner and outer coils in the 2 and 4 positions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Thanks for the replys. I ordered myself a super switch.