Tubescreamer and RV6 Reverb. Natural next addition?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    ICBM said:
    I wouldn't bother with the SD-1 if you've got a Tube Screamer. They're not the same, but they're close enough that you won't really gain anything by having both.

Classic overdrives!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    Rat, sounds great by itself then boost it with your TS for leads and general tightness. I prefer Rats to Big Muffs, I just find the sound more useful for a range of stuff whilst still sounding filthy. Big Muff is just big smooth/compressed slabs of sludge. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    edited February 2021
    I'd probably add :
    a big muff (green Russian in my case)
    some sort of klon clone (in order of price....mosky golden horse, ehx soul food, tumnus)
    or a delay - TC Flashback 2 or DD8.
  • Delay is the natural choice imho... boss DD8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lots of choice.

Do people sometimes pick a brand specifically and go with that? Or pick and choose?

Tempting to start a Boss collection, gradually save a little each month and then once or twice a year get another................

But I am in many ways a moron!! =)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Jetsam1 said:

Do people sometimes pick a brand specifically and go with that? Or pick and choose?

Tempting to start a Boss collection
    I like Boss pedals and I'd be pretty happy to never use anything else. It's probably true that they don't do anything really unconventional, but every pedal they've ever made is at least decent at what it does. There are no reliability issues, power supply incompatibility, buffer sensitivity, order problems or any of the other things that can often be frustrating with more 'interesting' or esoteric pedals. I'm a big fan of the physical design and the switching - I detest the typical metal mechanical click footswitches, and I don't like having the knobs were they can be easily kicked - but I know other people don't have a problem with either of these.

If they have a problem it's that the type of buffers they use - while an advantage in many situations, and eliminate cable loading  tone suck - have an insidious problem... they have a very small volume drop. While it's rarely noticeable by itself, when you chain enough of them in series it becomes so, and causes a perceived loss of tone instead - although in fact it's actually just volume. The number varies depending on how sensitive you are to this sort of thing but typically five or so is enough for most people to notice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jetsam1 said:
    Lots of choice.

Tempting to start a Boss collection, gradually save a little each month and then once or twice a year get another................

For 'bread and butter' effects going Boss only seems to make a lot of sense - probably the best design of stomp box, usually reliable, in many cases it will be the sound you've heard on record or live anyway. Non Boss for more esoteric effects or the rabbit hole of 'the right' overdrive.
    Not that I've done that but if I started over again I probably would. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Tuner?
    Sassafras said:
    Tuner?

Tuna? Got an app on the phone that's decent enough. All this is for private home viewing only. No live.
    Option Paralysis.

Bought nothing. Watched and read loads. No idea what I would like!!!!

Reviews seem to be generally polarising. Never realised the hate on Boss but kind of expected it on the likes of Joyo etc.

Coming from someone who has spent the last 20 years on the clean channel or only using amp drive it is overwhelming!

Right now, the Peavey`s vintage and high gain channels are good enough, so OK for drive. I am thinking about just going for a Behringer VD400 to see if i do like analogue delay and start the process of saving up for one quality pedal at a time. Probably a distortion then better delay and so on.

Back in the day it was so easy............... :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a DS1 that I modded (based on the Keeley Ultra/All-Seeing-Eye mod) for sale in the classifieds. Totally get your option paralysis and have been there, so if you buy it and don't like it after a couple of weeks then I'll take it back and refund you. You'd just lose postage on the return. How about that?
    I have a DS1 that I modded (based on the Keeley Ultra/All-Seeing-Eye mod) for sale in the classifieds. Totally get your option paralysis and have been there, so if you buy it and don't like it after a couple of weeks then I'll take it back and refund you. You'd just lose postage on the return. How about that?

I am 1000 miles away and no longer in the UK or I would certainly take you up on that. I have to go by what is available here.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Jetsam1 said:
    Lots of choice.

I think after a while you will gravitate to certain brands as you trust / like them... However some brands have iconic pedals, some are easy to source. Don't intentionally limit yourself.

Boss pedals can be great, don't be put off by the negatively that is sometimes driven by nothing more than prejudice at a mainstream brand. Boss pedals are seen on countless pro boards and only a moron would discount them just because they are boss. They have made some absolute nailed on classics in their time!

Not sure really what to recommend but delay is a big thing for me and I love tremolo too. Oh and fuzz. Maybe vibe, chorus and a way too :)
    Jetsam1 said:
    Lots of choice.

I think after a while you will gravitate to certain brands as you trust / like them... However some brands have iconic pedals, some are easy to source. Don't intentionally limit yourself.

Boss pedals can be great, don't be put off by the negatively that is sometimes driven by nothing more than prejudice at a mainstream brand. Boss pedals are seen on countless pro boards and only a moron would discount them just because they are boss. They have made some absolute nailed on classics in their time!

Not sure really what to recommend but delay is a big thing for me and I love tremolo too. Oh and fuzz. Maybe vibe, chorus and a way too :)

I do like the idea of gradually collecting the styles that came out early. So the DS-1 etc. It has been around since the early 80s and really can't be that bad can it?

I have been wondering about the TC Electronic budget pedals such as the EchoBrain and the rest of that line to get me started. Never know may actually be enough. But I like the idea of the Waza craft Boss pedals! A little collectible....
  • Mooer Electric mistress
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life