Two japanese ES-335s (91 Greco SA-90 and 81 Tokai ES-100)

What's Hot
brooombrooom Frets: 1173
edited February 2021 in Guitar
I was recently looking to get a japanese ES-335, and got a little trigger happy... long story short, I ended up with a 1991 Greco SA-90 and a 1981 Tokai ES-100NR.

I won't be keeping both, because there's not point in having two of them, but before I part with one I just wanted to share a bit more about them.

My main 335 is a Gibson Memphis Warren Haynes, modelled after Warren's original 61. Basically I was looking for something in that ballpark, and I have to say these don't disappoint.

The 81 Tokai has a thicker neck, dot neck and correct mickey mouse ears, 3-ply build (like the original 58s), so this makes it more of a late 50s model, whereas the Greco is more mid 60s, with the block inlays, 5-ply build, a slimmer neck and the ears slightly pointing outwards.

Both play exceptionally well and sound really good. I'm having a hard time choosing one, but anyway just wanted to share, what I think are really good 335 alternatives.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18008378@N00/albums/72157718445540977

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have an 81 Tokai es100R and it is fantastic. Has seen off quite a few Gibsons over the years.  I did have a similar Greco to yours at one point but it couldn’t hold a candle to the Tokai. I’d be surprised if the Tokai wasnt the keeper.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Come to think of it the figuring on the Greco looks really familiar
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    To be honest, although they're different, I don't think the Greco is inferior in any way. They both came from japan, so probably not your old one, but you never know.
  • Both lovely looking guitars, must be like Sophie's Choice trying to decide which to part with!
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252
    That Tokai is a knockout. Dots, blonde, long guard. Thats the perfect recipie!
  • I’d be tempted by both/either, not sure which I prefer tbh! 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Selling my tokai was one of the stupidest decisions I have made. Lovely guitars congrats.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    Turns out, they are both keepers... so for now, they shall be kept!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    You have some lovely guitars, and those two are no exception!  Love them 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2341
    Very nice, both of them.

Is the bass side ear on the Greco slightly narrower than the treble side, or just the photo angle/a trick of the light?
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7102
    I sold my 81 Es100J to someone on here a few years back and behind selling my 72 Thinline it was the stupidest sale I've ever done (and I've done a few)
    StefB said:
    Very nice, both of them.

Is the bass side ear on the Greco slightly narrower than the treble side, or just the photo angle/a trick of the light?
    looks like it's the way I took the photo  :/

DrCornelius said:
    I sold my 81 Es100J to someone on here a few years back and behind selling my 72 Thinline it was the stupidest sale I've ever done (and I've done a few)
     :'( I was close to selling this one (just because it would be an easier sale), I should only be keeping one in all fairness. But I'm deferring the decision for now, as I'm enjoying both.

John_A said:
    You have some lovely guitars, and those two are no exception!  Love them 
    You know how I like Grecos. Old Tokais are more more of an unknown to me, but I'm surely enjoying it.
  • Oh man, they look wonderful.

I right fancy an old Japanese guitar but they're appreciating in value a bit above my range these days. Both of those looks amazing. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 979
    Both look lovely guitars, I know I would have a hard time choosing between them.
    Oh man, they look wonderful.

I right fancy an old Japanese guitar but they're appreciating in value a bit above my range these days. Both of those looks amazing. 
    you can get some decent deals if you go to the japanese yahoo auctions. That's what most people do, including some of the dealers who are focusing on niche Japanese brands.
    So as it turns out I went a little crazy and also got a hold of this nice 1986 Greco SA64-60 which has been modified to have a B5 bigsby.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hah, so a couple of weeks ago you were planning on trimming down to one remaining 335-a-like, and now somehow you've ended up with three?! The GAS is strong with this one....

=)  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I genuinely don't know how it happened. I'm sure eventually I'll come to my senses and choose one.
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 191
    I'm GAS-ing badly for some 335 goodness. Something like that Greco would suit me perfectly

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Haha