Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So I was having a disagreement on TGP - peak TGP

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
About the price of the Isle of Tone fuzz pedals. 

A chap who it transpired works with Isle of Tone used this as part of the excuse for their prices...

The board is hand made NOS grey cardboard as used in old Amps same as the battery jack. 

Yep that's right, the board is made from hand made NOS cardboard.... 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Brilliant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TGP needs LOL & Wiz post options so bad
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    $749 for  their standard Fuzz Face and that sort of shite is the excuse they come up with. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Makes the Boss Tonebender seem excellent value for money although I have heard the thickness of modern cardboard doesn't impart the right resonant peaks to the circuit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    It needs to be artisan cardboard made from tonewood fibres to impart the right degree of transparency and haunting mids.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I was going to ask is there was a CITEs certificate for the Brazilian rosewood pulp used in the tonecardboard

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    ICBM said:
    It needs to be artisan cardboard
    Probably made from hemp. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1291
    edited February 2021
    Looking at the relicing of the cases and general sales pitch, it seems like their whole schtick is to try and create a “parallel universe” version of the originals.

Their is definitely a market for overpriced stuff with a whiff of nostalgia off it amongst guitarists. The pricing shows it is aimed at a specific clientele in that market. I think there are people out there that would be more interested in their products because of the exclusivity that comes with the crazy pricing 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    edited February 2021
    Pedals like this are designed for Instagram not stages. All these pristine pedalboards with 10 grands worth of pedals... I’d love to see someone knock a pint of Guinness over one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Funkfingers said:

Probably made from hemp. 
    If you smoked the board it might even make sense :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What difference does it make? Nobody is obliged to buy it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What difference does it make? Nobody is obliged to buy it. 
    What difference does anything make? Nobody is obliged to  buy anything. Let's just shut down all conversations about products and value, guys. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    I had a look at the discussion in question. Seems to me like there are some folk who are committed to the idea that if it is more expensive, it must be better, and then spend effort and time trying to justify their choices. Sometimes it's just expensive, and it isn't better. 

I tend to find that unobtainium stuff attracts a very specific crowd of people, and that things that are expensive without obvious increased intrinsic value are the same. For example, I can kind of see how someone might get pulled down the rabbit hole of tube screamers, but there are ones that are for sale at over £1000 despite being the same circuit as the ones at £100... 

Obviously I am totally above all of that and judge entirely with my ears, and would never dream of over-spending on unobtainium stuff.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    TGP - what a fucking shitshow.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    De_Batz said:
    I had a look at the discussion in question. Seems to me like there are some folk who are committed to the idea that if it is more expensive, it must be better, and then spend effort and time trying to justify their choices. Sometimes it's just expensive, and it isn't better. 

I tend to find that unobtainium stuff attracts a very specific crowd of people, and that things that are expensive without obvious increased intrinsic value are the same. For example, I can kind of see how someone might get pulled down the rabbit hole of tube screamers, but there are ones that are for sale at over £1000 despite being the same circuit as the ones at £100... 

Obviously I am totally above all of that and judge entirely with my ears, and would never dream of over-spending on unobtainium stuff.
    It's the anger they feel at anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid that bugs me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    There's a big market for people with more money than sense.
    I always pay over the odds, the thought that I might be seen as a cheapskate is unbearable to me.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    edited February 2021
    Philtre said:
    TGP - what a fucking shitshow.
    I must admit, I generally find it less reactionary than this forum. Genuinely.

And I love this place, and have been here from the start
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

I must admit, I generally find it less reactionary than this forum. Genuinely.
    I haven’t been there for a long time, but I seem to remember they’re fine with innovation, as long as it’s expensive and has the right name attached.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10203
    I’ve got lots of important internet points there so I’ll not hear a bad word said. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    NOS grey cardboard

Can that really be a thing? Seems like someone is having a laugh. Perhaps an unopened box of Corn Flakes from 1967.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom