SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD FS 1980 Olympic White Tokai ST80 Springy Sound with Rosewood fingerboard

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    Obviously you didn’t just admit to letting someone in your house on a public forum as the fine would be more than the sale price : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ivanscivansc Frets: 9
    edited February 2021
    Thanks! Hard to get this across to everyone unless they have already "been there".
    FWIW mine did indeed have the E pickups & I have just this moment realised that the buyer left without the original trem back plate!  Otherwise, what he got is indeed 100% original apart from the first 12 frets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    Obviously you didn’t just admit to letting someone in your house on a public forum as the fine would be more than the sale price : )

Actually, we did it outside our french doors with a long guitar cable & my 5E3 Tweed deluxe amp peeking through the curtains.  All kept very safe indeed. I am in the top three high risk groups, so I take this all very seriously, even after being vaccinated a few weeks ago.  But I agree,  not worth taking any risks.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Shame we didn’t get to see it but sounds like a genuine guitar and a nice bloke too - welcome to the Forum Ivan !
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2525
    edited February 2021
    ivansc said:
    Thanks! Hard to get this across to everyone unless they have already "been there".
    FWIW mine did indeed have the E pickups & I have just this moment realised that the buyer left without the original trem back plate!  Otherwise, what he got is indeed 100% original apart from the first 12 frets.
    Well if he got it for 650 then I don't think he'll be too concerned.  :)
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Out of interest, did anyone on this forum NOT offer to buy this guitar 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Heh - I am now getting very nervous about selling anything else on here!  I WILL be doing my homework better as far as piccies are concerned though.  Maybe Brad would put some up as part of a NGD post? (grin)
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2861
    edited February 2021
    Absolute pleasure to meet Ivan and yes, it was I that picked up the strat - Socially distanced of course.

And wow, what a strat (and the amp was a bit stunner too).

My first Tokai! 

I'll see if I can pop some pics on Imgur later. 
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    Fifty9 said:
    Out of interest, did anyone on this forum NOT offer to buy this guitar 
    I didn’t, but I was on the verge of PM’ing jerkmoans for a ride in the convertible. *laughs like Mutley*
    edited February 2021
    Shame we didn’t get to see it but sounds like a genuine guitar and a nice bloke too - welcome to the Forum Ivan !
    Thanks! I will nag Brad to post some pics.  FWIW I am at the point where I am struggling to sing and to play guitar or bass any more, although I am still trying to get an album we started back in August of 2018 finished!  6 tracks done & ready for final mix & mastering.... 

I am trying to make up my mind if there is any point to leaving my instruments & other equipment gathering dust in my little home studio or not.  These days I have a core of four guitars that I use a lot and one bass. I actually own about a dozen guitars and five basses, two of which are weird crap  & one is an electric upright.  Realistically, I doubt if I will use more than my old favourite from 1982.

But it is hard to walk away from old friends.  Even though the Tokai has sat neglected in its case for several years, it has left a hole.

P.S. Brad: I just saw your last post. It would be nice if you could post some pix for me.  I have found a couple of photos of me playing it at gigs years ago, but nothing that really does the guitar justice.

• bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2861
    edited March 2021

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    ivansc said:
    Heh - I am now getting very nervous about selling anything else on here!  I WILL be doing my homework better as far as piccies are concerned though.  Maybe Brad would put some up as part of a NGD post? (grin)
    Welcome to the Forum @ivansc ; :)

And in the spirit of Forum goodwill, if you want to send me all details of any future sales, I’d be more than happy to cast my eye over the item... just to make sure your asking price is ok...(and if I happen to get first dibs, that’d just be a happy coincidence)  =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    fantastic, would love to have one like that
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bargain on the year so far I reckon! 

• Absolute pleasure to meet Ivan and yes, it was I that picked up the strat - Socially distanced of course.

And wow, what a strat (and the amp was a bit stunner too).

My first Tokai! 

I'll see if I can pop some pics on Imgur later. 
    Be interesting to see how it stacks up to your more familiar custom shop purchases.. :+1: 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    > Olympic White?

Surely see-through butterscotch. Like the Tokai TE-80 I had, which was equally lovely.

Pretty sure I saw you (Ivan) playing this at The Boathouse in Cambridge. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have to say that if I didn`t still have the hardtail equivalent bitsa, I would never have sold it. But at my age one strat-alike is enough. The bitsa has a 1982 Squier Silver Series neck modified to the same neck profile as the Tokai, a Paco, Mexico hardtail Alder body, a Schaller locking bridge, Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials & it still isn`t quite as good as the Tokai.
    edited February 2021
    goldtop said:
    > Olympic White?

Surely see-through butterscotch. Like the Tokai TE-80 I had, which was equally lovely.

Pretty sure I saw you (Ivan) playing this at The Boathouse in Cambridge. 
    No it has always been slightly see-through & of course it is nitrocellulose finish.

True! That was how I got involved with Johnny Wright, Tony Hill & Fabian Bonner. 
    My current (in waiting) band.
    Skivin` Ivan & The Slackers. 
    Did you hear us playing "Mama`s in control tonight" on Cambridge 105 last Strawberry Fair Online?

• Damn it! You don't look at the classifieds for a few days and you miss your tokai breezy sounds strat brother. They would have made a lovely pair.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    I miss my ST. One lucky new owner there.