SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD FS 1980 Olympic White Tokai ST80 Springy Sound with Rosewood fingerboard

What's Hot

Comments

• Bgmartinsbridge please can I call 1st dibs if this ever goes up for sale again?

It looks lovely - enjoy!! :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I sold my ST55 - ice blue metallic, maple board, excellent condition and refretted, with gigbag - on here just over a year ago for £400. It took quite a while to sell at that price too.
    And it's me what bought it! It's an awesome guitar. Hope you keeping well sir
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited March 2021
    Couple of nice ST80s here for £1300, Japan guitars are on the expensive side, but yours is a very desirable colour, so I’d be asking £1100ish

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/page 6 Tokai.html

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    ivansc said:
    goldtop said:
    > Olympic White?

Surely see-through butterscotch. Like the Tokai TE-80 I had, which was equally lovely.

Pretty sure I saw you (Ivan) playing this at The Boathouse in Cambridge. 
    No it has always been slightly see-through & of course it is nitrocellulose finish.

True! That was how I got involved with Johnny Wright, Tony Hill & Fabian Bonner. 
    My current (in waiting) band.
    Skivin` Ivan & The Slackers. 
    Did you hear us playing "Mama`s in control tonight" on Cambridge 105 last Strawberry Fair Online?

Still think it's the see-through that Tokai labelled with a 'BL' suffix. :) My TE-80 was a TE-80BL.

To the new owner, you can check the paint code in the control cavity. Something like this:

I think Olympic White was (not surprisingly) 'OW'.

Will have to try to find your Strawberry Fair performance online...
  • Absolute bargain right there
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • Like I said, I`m not greedy & I like that it went to someone in my neck of the woods. Re Strawberry Fair, I cheated & got do a guest appearance in 2019... just did a few tunes with the same line-up, but George Breakfast being in charge.  And of course we were scheduled to play the 2020 one, which is how "Mamas in control tonight" got airplay. As far as I know the whole Virtual Strawberry fair should still be available in Cambridge 105`s archives.  We were on on the Saturday afternoon.
  • P.S. I am probably going to have to sell one of my basses soon, too.

• EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    ivansc said:
    P.S. I am probably going to have to sell one of my basses soon, too.

If it's a Tokai P-Bass I'd be all over it!
  • Here you go Ivan - you're on third on the 2020 virtual strawberry fair....

.https://m.mixcloud.com/Cambridge105/virtual-strawberry-fair-2020-hour-6-flying-pig-stage/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    The Strawberry Fair!! Making me get homesick  :'( My old band did some blinding gigs there over the years.

Good job finding the link @bgmartinsbridge !
  • ivanscivansc Frets: 9
    Dan: What was your band`s name?  I used to play Strawberry fair most years till I moved to Tennessee in 1980 & then started doing it again in about 1991 for a couple of years  till I went "on the road" once again - France this time. Eventually stopped touring & did Strawberry Fair again in er um I think 2017 or 16, then again the following year.  We should have done it in 2020, but.... hence the radio show.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Hi Ivan. The band is called Big 10. Noisy Ska band but they put on a good show and have a couple of really good players. I joined them about 20 years ago and we must have played there a good few times over the years. I think the last one I did at the fair was 2014 before I moved to Scotland in 2017. I think they did the summer before last but that was after I’d moved away. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited March 2021
    I would not say "bargain". Price is ok based on ebay sold results. It's not like late 80's models were worse quality or anything like that. 

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2466
    I would not say "bargain". Price is ok based on ebay sold results. It's not like late 80's models were worse quality or anything like that. 

They’re all Goldstars and lower end models, the OP’s is a top end springy, there’s a big difference 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2045
    edited March 2021

@Winny_Pooh ;;I find this a rather strange post to make on a for sale thread where a deal has already been completed between 2 forum members. Pretty sure it still breaches the rules of the classifieds re negativity and commenting on value but also none of those guitars appear to be an ST80 Springy Sound model so not comparable. Why did you feel the need to post this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Can confirm that the rare '80' models are a significant step up from the mass of 50/55/60 models.
    edited March 2021
    @CMW335 ;;; said:

@Winny_Pooh ;;;; I find this a rather strange post to make on a for sale thread where a deal has already been completed between 2 forum members. Pretty sure it still breaches the rules of the classifieds re negativity and commenting on value but also none of those guitars appear to be an ST80 Spring Sound model so not comparable. Why did you feel the need to post this?
    Simply because the seller may be put out by the "low" price he received and I'm adding to the discussion about what may or may not be realistic. And yes I get they are not the exact same. I still have an 83 Tokai and sold a 79' hard puncher for 450 4 years ago so do tend to watch them.
    Not being negative at all nor criticising the price, I am saying that it's fair. If you find it really "strange" then use the report button and tell teacher. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6679
    Dibs!

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2045
    @Winny_Pooh Apologies, I should have read the whole thread first and in fairness to you the seller has asked for input re value... I missed that!! Don't think your comparisons stack up but I retract comment re negativity
    CMW335 said:
    @Winny_Pooh Apologies, I should have read the whole thread first and in fairness to you the seller has asked for input re value... I missed that!! Don't think your comparisons stack up but I retract comment re negativity
    Cheers :)