Thread Update. Cheap Synths? Opinions/Alternatives

What's Hot

Comments

• I usually play keys or piano, using one key on the left hand and doing the chords with the right. A bit of practice would improve my left hand, so maybe, maybe, 4 note would be enough.... hmmm, better to be looking at it than looking for it....?
    True BUT you quickly find your "stock" fingering for pads and evolving sounds is 3 chords with the right and 2 nots with the left at octave  distances.    Theres a reason the profit 5 had 5 voices......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    Well have to say that to my untrained ear, the Minilogue is an absolute blast. I've also got a Minibrute and I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but this is just a lot of fun. I've got a Volca Beats too which is all the fun in the world. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • minilogue v cobalt - well done.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • and if the model tickles your fancy - this shows how the cobalt and argon differ (and can be similar).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    @paulmapp8306 I've seen those vids. Very helpful. A minilogue has shown up used near me, but I am half thinking of holding out to see what the audiothingies micromonsta 2 is like... 
    Or just hold off some more and think about the modal 8.....
    I'm a bit tight for space these days, so am also looking at the desktop modules, but if I'm going down that road, would it not just make sense to get a good midi keyboard controller and assign actions to the knobs on it.
    However my plan was always to add on effects pedals to the synth, almost treat it like playing the guitar....
  • The Modal desktop versions are the smallest Ive ever seen lol.   They are tiny.

Yes it would make sense for a midi board - BUT I went looking for one for when Im just ion front to the PC using VSTs.  The Modals are the best I could find.   Keybed is better than most, and every know sends its own CC.  It has more knobs than most midi controllers (smaller ones at least).  I only wanted a 37 key (or even smaller) due to size restraints on my PC desk so it fitted perfectly.  Its actually smaller (width) than any 37 key dedicated controller as well.....  No regrets at all.

The small (as opposed to 61 key or desktop) Modals are just all-round great for a studio.... Good controllers for VST, nice keybed and decent sound engine inside for stand along.

There not the only option of course.  The minilogue XD is very nice for what it is and its VCO - but its mini keys that I dont like, and as I say 4 voice??   I need 5 at least really for pads, OR a mono would do for bass/leads.  Minilogue isnt either really.

Deep Mind 12 is a good price if you need more than 37 keys and again is one hell of a synth for the money.   More limited in core Oscilators but more options in LFOs and envelopes than Minilogue.  The FX are great as well to add the finishing touches.  The DM12 desktop is similar price to the Modal 37 and the Minilogue keys though - so it is a little step up in price from those. if you need keys

@paulmapp8306 can't see myself using more than 37 keys. I have a 49 key midi keyboard I'm going to sell, as I don't use half of it I reckon, 25 is a little too small, but useful in its own way too.
    I'm still undecided!
  • I was the same with 25.   Its  OK for bass lines, lead lines or generic sound design with VSTs.  Its useless for actually playing chords/pads though as you really only have one octave (unless your only playing in C).  37 is perfect for that - wouldnt use it bar a lead/bass synth live, but in my case thats not what the little board was for.
    edited March 2021
    I've really been enjoying the Minilogue. So much that I am thinking of getting the XD and selling this.

I would ultimately like something with more voices as I can play piano a bit. I've been spending a couple of weeks with it daily and I think that more voices will suit me more, but I can live with 4.

IThe Cobalt 8 looks like it's the real deal in regards to this but it just has a bit of digital harshness to it. It does seem like the best all round choice at this price point, but the Minilogue XD has more options with the user libraries and extra oscillators etc. Fuck it. The XD it is.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @TeleMaster have you seen the Yamaha Reface Cs? 8 voice. I might have option of a used minilogue next week but tempted to hold out... hard to know if 4 will be too little or enough. I can play the piano a bit but wouldn’t call myself a “piano player”. 
    Yea I've seen them. The XD looks better all round to be honest. I also wouldn't say I'm a piano player either but I can play enough that 4 voices could be limited, but I also need to realise that I'm learning this instrument and it's NOT the piano. Analogue also just sounds better in most examples with synths at this price point. 

Man... I shouldn't have sold my Dave Smith Prophet 
  • From a basic perspective,  4 voice is fine if your playing bass lines, lead lines, arpeggiators (played or sequenced). 

If you plan on playing chord work, pads, key sounds then 4 voices wont be enough./  The novelty will wear off pretty quick.

The other aspect when 4 voices would be fine is if your just using it to learn synthesis/sound design on, and not reallyt planning on using it as a stand alone instrument.

Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise then, because Andertons called me and told me that the XD they had was a display model and it's got a dent in it.

@Paulmapp8306 perhaps I should just get the Cobalt then.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited March 2021
    possibly.   mono synths are great, and the XD does some wonderful things in that context, and in its 4 voice poly mode- but its one "part" of a sound, or piece of music.  Its fun to play with , great to sound design, but as a sole instrument very limiting,   The ability to play 5 notes is a minimum IMO for stand alone.  Thats a 4 note chord plus a bass note - or a 3 note chord with two bass notes an octave apart.  Both are key to pads.

Even then - you get note stealing/cutoffs with longer decay times on the envelopes.  using reverb to hand the decays almost becomes necessary (and was used a lot in the 80s to mask the problems with low poly count synths).

As such - 5 or 6 notes minimum IF the synth has that special something (P5 rev 4, P6, OB6, Polybrute etc),  8 as a general minimum for mono timbral and 12-16 for duel timbral - UNLESS its a bass line, lead line, learning synthesis or one part of a wider sonic pallet.   

Of course this is only my viewpoint.

edited March 2021
    Well I've gone gone for the Cobalt 8. I think the extra chords and the features make it a good option. I'll have it Tuesday, I'll update you all. 
    edited March 2021
    There's a 20% off voucher on eBay at the moment so I got it for £500 which is great!
    Well I've gone gone for the Cobalt 8. I think the extra chords and the features make it a good option. I'll have it Tuesday, I'll update you all. 
    Please do , would be curious to see what you think!
    I would definitely like to add some effects pedals after the synth and a loop pedal and jam as I would on a guitar...
  • @TeleMaster ;

I think you'll enjoy it, even though its VA.   Its more up my street than the Argon I have, but then I has so much that can do the VA thing (and analogue) already it didnt make sense to have more of the same.

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited March 2021
    I would definitely like to add some effects pedals after the synth and a loop pedal and jam as I would on a guitar...
    Zoom Multistomp.   relatively cheap, stereo in/out, takes line level signals, FX are decent enough unless you want stunning reverbs and mega versatile delays - but still decent.   Models of some classic pedals rather than newly designed FX.    I use one to get a few FX my synths dont have on board and Im happy enough.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/zoom-ms70cdr-modulation-stomp-chorus-delay-reverb-pedal-86-effects?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oCDBhCPARIsAII3C_H3fk0-oZpaLUNqC1Z_6927HVzKwI6K7P87SQ7IVoQCd-9H_vDUy8IaAr_nEALw_wcB