Thread Update. Cheap Synths? Opinions/Alternatives

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Cool! I had a Microbrute for a few weeks. It's pretty cool and I loved the mod matrix so much I got a Grandmother. 

I've been on a bit of a journey. I bought a cheap Prophet Rev2 but it was broken so I returned it and now I've got a Novation Summit which is very cool.

If you're learning get Syntorial. Get it via the site as it's cheaper. It's excellent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Anyone used a Grandmother? My friend is selling his cheap and has told me he'll take my minilogue and microbrute plus £75 for it so I've decided to go for it. Looks like a cool mono synth!
    Would do that in a heartbeat.
    The grandmother was probably the best synth I've owned and I do regret selling it for the matriarch 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Anyone used a Grandmother? My friend is selling his cheap and has told me he'll take my minilogue and microbrute plus £75 for it so I've decided to go for it. Looks like a cool mono synth!
    The grandmother was probably the best synth I've owned and I do regret selling it for the matriarch 
    Really? What did you prefer about it? Size? Ease of use?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Size, ease of use, the reverb.
    I swear it sounds bigger as well.

If you love fiddling and patching for hours the matriarch is probably the dream (outside of eurorack)

I found the grandmother more productive when it came to an end result for recording and what not.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

If you love fiddling and patching for hours the matriarch is probably the dream (outside of eurorack)

I found the grandmother more productive when it came to an end result for recording and what not.
    I've been messing around with recording and the little bit of fiddling I done I found it difficult to get the timing because obviously it's out of sync. 

Is this what MIDI clock is for? Connect the Grandmother to my USB interface with MIDI, open Logic, set the USB interface to clock and then it'll all be in time?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • At the moment I'm using my Zoia for synth sounds plus an Elektron Model:Cycles. Both worth looking at. There a few nice Synthesizer patches out there which you can just download and play, plus you can build your own. The disadvantage is that you'll need a midi controller with lots of encoders if you want to get close to a normal playing experience. On the plus side, can be used for generative and guitar too.

Was really impressed with the Vital software synth. All that said, may grab a Dreadbox or Moog at some point
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356

I've been messing around with recording and the little bit of fiddling I done I found it difficult to get the timing because obviously it's out of sync. 

Is this what MIDI clock is for? Connect the Grandmother to my USB interface with MIDI, open Logic, set the USB interface to clock and then it'll all be in time?
    Yes midi clock is supposed to sync midi kit.  Set logic as the clock driver and the keys to midi clock external.  One point, the arp won’t work unless logic is playing in that setup.