Turner resonator - help please

What's Hot
Help appreciated!

I’m considering bidding at an auction for a Turner single cone resonator guitar but have got very little information to work on other than it’s an all metal body with f holes cut into the upper part of the body Can’t find anything online - there is a Turner guitars but they do wooden bodied acoustics. 1 photo shows it’s in fair condition and currently asking for £170. Any information appreciated. Worth a risk as a dedicated slide guitar using different tunings?

Thanks Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You could try asking on the Michael Messer forum. A link to the photo would help. Can the auction house provide any more information?
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 390
    edited March 2021
    Pete Turner made some interesting looking wooden bodied resonators. I tried one out at guitar guitar abut 10 years ago. Think they were priced around the £1500 mark.
    like these...  https://peteturnerguitars.com/node/198
    https://youtu.be/kTErPyF62rk
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Are you able to post a link to a picture of it, or the auction itself? It would be very surprising to see a Pete Turner resonator being auctioned for £170.... but at the same time resonators fly out of a couple of far eastern factories often the same or similar guitars with all sorts of names on the headstock and Turner could well be one of them. They're pretty easy to identify if you can share a pic.
  • TrevinDevonTrevinDevon Frets: 28
    edited March 2021
    I'm pretty sure it's not a Pete Turner if it's the one Gardiner Houlgate have had on their site. (Sold for £440 12 Sept. 2018.)

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    There's 2 makes of Turner guitars here. Pete Turner resonators and Turner guitars which was started by Terry Pack and are no longer in production.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited March 2021
    To me, the one in the picture looks like a generic reso from the same factory that made Johnson, AXL etc I had one branded Liberty as my first reso.

Assuming it's all in one piece it'll be as good as any other reso you can get for £170. 
  • mikewmikew Frets: 16
    I own a fine Pete Turner resonator with pommele sapele wood. It cost significantly more than £170! Don’t confuse them or you’ll be disappointed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    The one in the picture I’m pretty sure is a Turner as in Terry Pack. I’ve got one of the acoustics and it’s the same headstock and logo. Should be ok my Turner is pretty good quality. I didn’t know they had made any resonators.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 220
    You could try asking on the Michael Messer forum. A link to the photo would help. Can the auction house provide any more information?
    As Trevin has said post on Michael Messer website and you will get the answers to your question. Friendly bunch, with world class experts on reso’s