Thoughts on Victory amps in general and Sheriff, Copper and Duchess in particular

What's Hot
I liked the Super Kraken, was superb, but not quite what I wanted in a high gainer, I'd like to revisit it one day though. But theoretically, the Sheriff, Copper and Duchess are right up my street and could cover a lot of ground for music I like to create.

I know some think that Victory can be dark sounding amps, but I'd like to get a consensus on this and general advice and thoughts about them.

Any help would be welcome. Ta!

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2371
    I adore my Sheriff, and I quite like my Kraken.

Neither is dark, although the Kraken could do with a presence control. I had a V30 previously and that was very dark, though apparently the mk2 voicing change tweaks that.

The Sheriff is the best Marshall I've ever played, although I've not played a huge number to be fair. It's less spongy and more immediately responsive, and less fizzy at high gain. I've got the 22, and the only reason I'd get rid of it would be if I could get a 44 for a crazy price. Channel 1 is a wonderful crunchy gain channel, going from pushed cleans to angry Plexi. Channel 2 is in theory more JCM800ish - it's got a quicker response and slightly tighter low end, and a bit more gain at the high end. It can do hard rock, but the low end isn't quiiite tight enough for more modern metal. Which is annoying, as I prefer its overall voicing for metal to the Kraken's, but the Kraken is much tighter/dryer.

Those are my immediate thoughts and ramblings, but let me know if you want to know anything specific.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Kraken was enough to put me off forever tbh!

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    I had a Victory V40. This is what I learnt - If you want the Marshall sound, buy a Marshall. If you want the Fender sound, buy a Fender. If you want the Vox sound, buy a Vox.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Only Victory I’ve heard was a 5112. Despite being only 5W it sounded absolutely epic.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited February 2021
    I've had the V40 and V40D. The V40 is warmer sounding but lacks the tremolo & spring reverb which are really nice on the D and I think the D looks better but I preferred the sound of the regular V40. Pushed with a JRAD Archer it had a superb classic rock overdrive tone.

look up the Tones 4 Tache video Mick & Dan did with the Archer vs Klon, that was through a V40 and is a very representation of the sounds that I got from it.

• HAL9000 said:
    Only Victory I’ve heard was a 5112. Despite being only 5W it sounded absolutely epic.
    That is a Victoria amp surely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a Sheriff 44 which I was very happy with, then a Friedman Dirty Shirley 40 came up for the same price. I kept the DS40, but I don't have a bad word to say about the Sheriff for what it did. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    HAL9000 said:
    That is a Victoria amp surely?
    Ooops! Yes, you’re surely right.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Philtre said:
    I had a Victory V40. This is what I learnt - If you want the Marshall sound, buy a Marshall. If you want the Fender sound, buy a Fender. If you want the Vox sound, buy a Vox.
    Interestingly, that's the only Victory amp I've ever played. Seemed an OK amp  but it was a bit non-descript and a bit 'meh'.  As you intimate it doesn't really sound like any of these. I'm sure it has its fans but not one for me I'm afraid. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • So guys, what's a good vox style amp these days then? Boutique or not.

edited February 2021
    So guys, what's a good vox style amp these days then? Boutique or not.
    Umm...a bit radical I know but...how about .....
    .....a Vox amp?  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    The AC15 that @BintyTwanger77 has in the Classifieds?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, you knows it bach, £370 plus courier, bang tidy, I’m not gonna lie....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have been somewhat tempted by the Kraken pedal. How does this compare to the full fat amp? 

Oh, you knows it bach, £370 plus courier, bang tidy, I’m not gonna lie....

Nice one! haha. I love it but am looking for a head as I can't use a combo at home, the speaker would be wasted in my setup, unfortunately, mate. GLWS.

• Voxman said:
    .....a Vox amp?  

Yep, just hear mixed reviews about quality etc. I'm looking for a head, if that makes any difference?

edited February 2021
    Voxman said:
    .....a Vox amp?  

Yep, just hear mixed reviews about quality etc. I'm looking for a head, if that makes any difference?
    AC30 or AC15 Custom Head? Or AC30 Handwired Head? Spoilt for choice really. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The Sheriff 22 is described as 2 channels, but I don't see a foot witch socket so assume it's via an AB box?  Is it usable as a 2 channel amp?
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1097
    John_A said:
    The Sheriff 22 is described as 2 channels, but I don't see a foot witch socket so assume it's via an AB box?  Is it usable as a 2 channel amp?
    2 inputs I think, and I’m pretty sure you can jumper them and use a foot switch, might be mis remembering though 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1097
    Or might be that you plug into one and the foot switch goes in the other?