Wanna sell my Stingray ... but what should I get instead?

What's Hot
I want a cleaner and purer sounding bass, with lots of headroom, and not the annoying high-end clank that the Stingray has.

Was thinking a Warwick of some kind, or a Fender Jazz (preferably a Brazillian one, coz I don't like too much hair! That's a joke btw)

Is there anything else I should consider?

Oh. And of course I need a lefty!!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    How much moolah?
    The reason I ask is, if I were you, I’d go far less mainstream and have something made as there’s so much more choice out there in bass land compared to guitars. 

I’d be ringing Jon Shuker for a quote for a lefty with some high end pickups in and an East preamp - very pure, very shapable sound.
  • I've never played one but Sire have an excellent range of left handed basses and they're certainly pretty highly thought of.

The first thing that popped into my head was "active jazz"... Problem is Fender's range of LH basses is pretty shit as you know. Squier Deluxe might be a good answer, or one of the Sire active jazzes... Its also very hard to go wrong with an Ibanez. 

Whats the budget? 
  • If I sold my Stingray for about £800, then my budget would be about £1200 or so.

Bye!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24254
    Sandberg California 2 TT4
  • I'm thinking of one of the Fender Player Jazz's:

Nothing super super flash. But a good workhorse, with cleaner output and a more straight up rock tone.

The Stingray "activeness" is annoying me at the moment; and the high-end clank, and the cloudy lows. 

Bye!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    What about the haunting mids?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • What about the haunting mids?
    Might be a bit too spooky!!

Bye!

• You could certainly do a lot worse. 

There's very little that you can't do with a Fender Jazz, particularly for a man with your production talents.
    The noisy stock single coil pickups might prove annoying.
  • Yes, slightly worried about noisy stock pickups myself. Hmmmmmm. 

Bye!

Is it worth keeping the Stingray and simply changing the onboard pre-amp to something more refined? 

@Bridgehouse speaks highly of John East products. Aguilar does some nice, if pricey, stuff. Bartolini does too but I always worry about the quality of the pots they choose to use.
  • Is it worth keeping the Stingray and simply changing the onboard pre-amp to something more refined? 

@Bridgehouse speaks highly of John East products. Aguilar does some nice, if pricey, stuff. Bartolini does too but I always worry about the quality of the pots they choose to use.
    Isn't that sacrilege though? Won't I be burned at the stake!?!

Bye!

Is it worth keeping the Stingray and simply changing the onboard pre-amp to something more refined? 

Isn't that sacrilege though? Won't I be burned at the stake!?!
    Oh god no, bass players are much more likely to tinker and mess with pickups and preamps. 

It’s not a bad idea, but I think you’ve decided you need a new bass. 

I would say this, but what you really need is a nice good old trad passive P or J or even a PJ and then apply your amps, effects etc in your DAW. 

If you prefer a thinner neck and a bit more midrange honk then buy a J - if you prefer a slightly wider neck and a bit more of a classic midrange thump then get a P. 

Personally I think a P fits pretty much any musical style a lot better. If you go for flats on it you will basically have the classic “used everywhere” bass sound which you can adapt in-post to whatever you want
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    (If it was my money I’d get that lefty used sunburst precision linked on Basschat and be done with it)
    edited February 2021
    Or, put some flats on the stingray, use for a bit until they dull and you will nary hear a squeak of clank again
  • Nah, I hate a dull bass tone. I want highs, just not that horrid 2-3kHz "ZOMG!! IMMA STINGERRAAAYYYYYY!!! PAAAYYY ATTEENNNTTTIOONNN TOOO MEEEEE!" thing that you get on every stingray ever.

Bye!

Nah, I hate a dull bass tone. I want highs, just not that horrid 2-3kHz "ZOMG!! IMMA STINGERRAAAYYYYYY!!! PAAAYYY ATTEENNNTTTIOONNN TOOO MEEEEE!" thing that you get on every stingray ever.
    Then you want piezo saddles..... 
    Nah, I hate a dull bass tone. I want highs, just not that horrid 2-3kHz "ZOMG!! IMMA STINGERRAAAYYYYYY!!! PAAAYYY ATTEENNNTTTIOONNN TOOO MEEEEE!" thing that you get on every stingray ever.
    The East 3-band, 4-knob EQ system would fix that. The midrange band control includes a frequency sweep pot. Thus, the offending peak can be zapped out.

I am very keen on the EMG-VMC EQ accessory. Often, I find that dialling in the midrange cut/boost suffices. The treble and bass controls of the EMG three-band EQ circuitry stay flat.