Wanna sell my Stingray ... but what should I get instead?

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Nah, I hate a dull bass tone. I want highs, just not that horrid 2-3kHz "ZOMG!! IMMA STINGERRAAAYYYYYY!!! PAAAYYY ATTEENNNTTTIOONNN TOOO MEEEEE!" thing that you get on every stingray ever.
    Get a Thunderbird then, the growl at 800-1.5k makes my willy tingle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Won't I be burned at the stake!?!
    Only if you introduce music technology from the second half of the Twentieth Century to a Rickenbacker.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    The basses I like best are Rickenbacker and Warwick.
    A good Precision can have a real growl to it and a nice Jazz has a certain authority to the sound.
    I've got a couple of Status Graphite basses which are decent too.
    Stingrays, Wals, Steinbergers, Alembics, don't much do it for me.
    Fake relic'd = forget it.
    I played a couple of nice Sandbergs at a guitar show and I do like the aggressive styling of the Strandbergs.
  • I agree with @Bridgehouse - everyone should have a P. Maybe a P/J if you're a pervert.

There's almost no context a P can't work imo.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 257
    edited February 2021
    I would keep the ray and have a word with John East, 
    another option would be try a set of D’adario stainless ground wounds.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    I had an EMG ray pickup in mine for a while it was very good. Lost all the annoying high end.
    Then i turned it into a PJ.

and it’s going back to stock shortly.

But if you buy the Jazz, then put the original EMG J set in. They were designed to be silent versions of 1960 pickups and are excellent. I have them in my Sandberg. Very quiet and great sound.
  • I think I'll get a jazz in the coming months. Keep the Ray. Have them side-by-side for a bit. See how I get on.

Bye!

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I think I'll get a jazz in the coming months. Keep the Ray. Have them side-by-side for a bit. See how I get on.
    Two basses?

*points* - dirty bass player
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I'll get a jazz in the coming months. Keep the Ray. Have them side-by-side for a bit. See how I get on.
    Two basses?

I already have two, so it would be three!! :lol:

The other one, my FAME bass, which I bought from dv247 ages ago now... I'm gonna strip it back to the wood and do some sexy things with it!

Bye!

I think I'll get a jazz in the coming months. Keep the Ray. Have them side-by-side for a bit. See how I get on.
    Two basses?

The other one, my FAME bass, which I bought from dv247 ages ago now... I'm gonna strip it back to the wood and do some sexy things with it!
    I’m reclassifying your membership as “bass player” in light of this new information
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'd get a Jazz Bass, I love them. Owned three over the years. Yamaha also make really nice basses, you might want to check a few out. I'm feeling the need to get another bass. A Jazz bass.
    Two basses?

I’m reclassifying your membership as “bass player” in light of this new information
    I have a drumkit and a keyboard as well!!

Bye!

• proggy said:
    I'd get a Jazz Bass, I love them. Owned three over the years. Yamaha also make really nice basses, you might want to check a few out. I'm feeling the need to get another bass. A Jazz bass.
    I'm fairly limited on account of my left-handedness. But I had a Yammy bass in the past, it was great to learn on at the time. I also had a dodgy Jazz Bass clone off eBay about 16 years ago. It was great for a £90 unbranded POS !!!

Bye!

Two basses?

I have a drumkit and a keyboard as well!!

• JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Oops just realised that I have 5 basses....
  • Hmmm, a shop has given me £1000 valuation on my Stingray for part-ex deals. Which could open up some interesting possibilities if they have some interesting basses come through the pipeline over the next month or so.

Bye!

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    A Spector, probably a Euro for your budget, would be a good bet. They can growl but also have the rounded, piano bass sound and definitely cut through. However, EBMM prices are mad and have increased. It's been mentioned but maybe hang onto the Stingray and investing in a preamp and some new pickups might be a good bet.

Don't discount the Sire basses. Great preamps and players and very versatile with the option to select Active or Passive and under £500 with used prices around the £350 mark. Their V7s are excellent.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Hmmm, a shop has given me £1000 valuation on my Stingray for part-ex deals. Which could open up some interesting possibilities if they have some interesting basses come through the pipeline over the next month or so.
    You should check out the new price of Stingrays before doing anything. They're pushing £3k now!