Abbey Road studios recording The Seekers 1964

Studio geeks have probably seen this before but if not I thought it might be interesting - a (staged) "in session" film of the Seekers being recorded at Abbey Road Studios 1964.

Fun fact - my sister's first job after uni was in London and she rented a basement flat in Abbey Road, about  2 minutes walk up from the studios towards Swiss Cottage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    I used to live across the road.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    I have seen this many times but only because I love the song. I did not realise it was abby Road studios 
  • Judith Durham's voice - just wow ...
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    edited February 2021
    I presume that's Studio One, the big one where they do the classical stuff now, but it looks a bit small here. It isn't Studio Two as the control room is on the ground floor. Is it definitely Abbey Road?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    What a great song - I probably haven't heard that this century.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Studio 3 I think, where Floyd did Dark Side 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • @victorludorum If it weren't Abbey Road, then the internet would be wrong - and that couldn't ever happen  :o
  • Danny1969 said:
    Studio 3 I think, where Floyd did Dark Side 

I think you might be right. I thought Studio 3 wasn't built until later, but I'm not sure. There doesn't seem to be any information on the web about Studio 3.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I don't think I'm the only one who believes Judith Durham to be the best female pop singer ever - better than Dusty, and don't even mention Karen Carpenter.

An not lot of people know that she was a fantastic piano player.

Elsewhere on YT there's footage of the Seekers farewell concert at the BBC.  Compared with what passes for music and entertainment today it is absolutely breathtaking.    
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I think that's Abbey Road Studio 1. It's definitely a REDD console, it's not upstairs, and the recording space is huge -- Studio 3 is quite small. You can see in some of the shots that they've built a stage set for the band. When the camera pans further round you can see huge open spaces behind it.