Guitar flippers ... Hate them :-(

What's Hot

Comments

• Well here's a thread I wish I'd never started. Can we all go about our day and pretend I never posted it? 

Very sorry if I've caused upset on your thread my friend, i was only stating my opinion. If I'd known i was going to be mocked for having one i wouldn't have commented. Sorry you missed out on the guitar as well. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @4114Effects ; Do you see what you have unleashed upon the world? This is ALL YOUR FAULT!

fading vocal echo effect as camera zooms in on @4114Effects ' stricken face

ALL YOUR FAULT!

.all your fault!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I genuinely love a good flipping thread. And the more Groundhog Day they become, the more I like them.

I don't have a particularly strong opinion either way on the actual subject though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well here's a thread I wish I'd never started. Can we all go about our day and pretend I never posted it? 
    That sounds ideal.
    There will be another one  along in a day or two anyway
    If we see classified posts where you pick up a 350 quid Strat off Facebook marketplace and then advertise it for £550 here like you did Gaz, you're absolutely right, there will probably be more threads.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/200633/strats-squier-classic-vibe-and-deluxe-lonestar#latest

Best,
    Sammy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    You have to speculate to alienate, right. Besides, for every person out there making a profit on the gear they buy, there's probably someone like me balancing out the universe.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    Well here's a thread I wish I'd never started. Can we all go about our day and pretend I never posted it? 
    That sounds ideal.
    If we see classified posts where you pick up a 350 quid Strat off Facebook marketplace and then advertise it for £550 here like you did Gaz, you're absolutely right, there will probably be more threads.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/200633/strats-squier-classic-vibe-and-deluxe-lonestar#latest

Best,
    Sammy
    I actually sold that strat to one of those god damn raffle sites too - you couldn’t make it up could you!!!!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sammysabersammysaber Frets: 706
    Well here's a thread I wish I'd never started. Can we all go about our day and pretend I never posted it? 
    That sounds ideal.

Best,
    Sammy
    I actually sold that strat to one of those god damn raffle sites too - you couldn’t make it up could you!!!!!

Wow  =) =) =)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    I believe @loveagood69 actually bought that username off @loveagood42 on Ebay last week...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    I think it is unfair, most of us just want to pay a fair price, the flippers are inflating the prices and making the "nice" guitar market elitist. I don't know what I've been doing wrong but on most of my flips I lose money... Maybe I'm living in the past where you may lose a few quid but there would usually be a sweet bargain on the Fretboard to soften the blow, so it all sort of evened itself out. Sadly no bargains on here any more either really, not in the "affordable" bracket anyhoo. 

I think that sales on here have really slowed down.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 603
    I think it is unfair, most of us just want to pay a fair price, the flippers are inflating the prices and making the "nice" guitar market elitist. I don't know what I've been doing wrong but on most of my flips I lose money... Maybe I'm living in the past where you may lose a few quid but there would usually be a sweet bargain on the Fretboard to soften the blow, so it all sort of evened itself out. Sadly no bargains on here any more either really, not in the "affordable" bracket anyhoo. 

The used market does seem to be very strange. I would say that my perusal of Reverb recenty has lead me to the position that it really isn't worth going used anymore. I was looking at Boss effects pedals and I am not paying new prices for 10 year old mass produced pedals.

I certainly have largely given up with the used market, I will only use actual shops with an actual place of business and are sorted with their paperwork. I am currently trying to offload a load of stuff and it is tortuous..........

Ebay was pretty good in the earlier days when it was individuals selling to each other buit has been ruined by businesses and dodgy dealings. In the end I just had enough.

Currently using FB marketplace and the local free ads. Probably going to go local free ads only in the future.

I have no beef with people legitimately looking to mak a living but 50% mark ups prior to even having received the goods....................... Also, I am sure many of these bedroom dealers are not filing the appropriate paperwork etc.................
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I don't care what price they try to resell the guitars at.
    What I do object to is they're taking them out of circulation and artificially adding rarity value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 603
    Sassafras said:
    I don't care what price they try to resell the guitars at.
    What I do object to is they're taking them out of circulation and artificially adding rarity value.

From the examples I have seen I object to the attempt to force "mojo" onto pretty average equipment. I also always seem to have a general hatred of marketing! =)

But well.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645

Wis'd.

Sadly, some "enthusiasts" are bigger "enthusiasts" of money than they are of anything else. 

Sales on eBay have slowed down too... mainly because of the d1ckheads (buyers *and* sellers).

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2853
    edited March 2021
    Why sell a guitar to buy another knowing there are very few around to buy.

If you're selling a nice guitar, let's say a custom shop strat, you may get let's say 2000/2300 after fees. But then 90% of the similar guitars you will want to buy on ebay are now 3000.

Better to hold on to a guitar and avoid the GAS (that's a joke BTW, ha). 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Why sell a guitar to buy another knowing there are very few around to buy.

If you're selling a nice guitar, let's say a custom shop strat, you may get let's say 2000/2300 after fees. But then 90% of the similar guitars you will want to buy on ebay are now 3000.

Better to hold on to a guitar and avoid the GAS (that's a joke BTW, ha). 

I’m feeling this very same. Recently had a good trade offer on a CS guitar I was toying with the idea of selling, would have put me potentially £200-300 up if I were to sell whatever I took in trade. At the end of the day, I can’t really (easily) find what I’d be getting rid of for the same net overall amount. I’d also be letting go of a fine instrument for an unknown. It hasn’t quite ‘cured’ gas but it has certainly made the whole shuffle around a whole lot less appealing. I saw the tokai you picked up @bgmartinsbridge within a minute or so of it going up, nearly messaged the seller to buy it as it’s such a bargain but then reminded myself that I don’t really like strats very much, so what’s the point. 
  • scottyproscottypro Frets: 23
    It seems to be a sellers market for everything at the moment due to lockdowns. I was looking the other day on Ebay at Graphics cards, I have a spare one I bought in September last year for £150. After seeing what the same card sells for I immediately put it up for sale and it has gone. Am I classed as a flipper, no, just somebody that made a profit on something lying around.
    I know it is not the same as the situation of the OP, but it just goes to show the state of things at the moment.
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2853
    edited March 2021
    I think the more interesting question is will it cool down after the lockdown and Covid.

And with the pound against the dollar climbing you'd think guitars would eventually be getting cheaper. Obv at the mo production restrictions equal supply and demand issues.

@danishbacon - I've never owned a Tokai and it was stupidly near to me, so couldn't help it.
    I also (seriously) had absolutely no idea of its value, I just wants it. Is that GAS? Oh dear :-) 
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    scottypro said:
    It seems to be a sellers market for everything at the moment due to lockdowns. I was looking the other day on Ebay at Graphics cards, I have a spare one I bought in September last year for £150. After seeing what the same card sells for I immediately put it up for sale and it has gone. Am I classed as a flipper, no, just somebody that made a profit on something lying around.
    I know it is not the same as the situation of the OP, but it just goes to show the state of things at the moment.
    That’s quite an interesting comparison actually. I know you didn’t buy the computer part to sell but what if you had? Would everyone still hate on you for it?
    how does the anti flipper brigade feel about people that buy and sell houses? Someone that knows the market and sees potential that others don’t or is prepared to put more work in than the original seller. Or car dealers. Or comic book dealers. 
    Obviously emotions are different as most of us probably aren’t as invested, emotionally in the house or used car market but it’s generally the same. 

I personally don’t agree that the used market is weird and that prices are crazy. There are one or two weirdos listing stuff at crazy prices but that has always happened. When I ran a shop some 20 years ago people would bring their battered old epiphone in and expect me to pay a similar price for it to the one I had on the wall - brand new. Some people don’t understand business or the difference between used and new. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    edited March 2021

Amateur dealers and flippers have ruined the fun for the rest of us buying and selling in the used market. I don’t even look at used guitars anymore. 

It’s not immoral, but just seems a bit pathetic and desperate.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 576
    At the end of the day you should bid as much as you're willing to pay and not complain if you miss out - be it to a genuine buyer or a flipper.

You don't know what their maximum bid was, couldn't been well over £1k.