Thumbs.

Been a fan of Country guitar players for years, and I have seen guitarists play with guitar flat on legs like Jeff Heally but never heard or seen this guy before to my shame. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    In my teens I used to visit a 2nd-hand record shop and on one occasion picked up a vinyl album that was a compilation of tracks by country-jazz guitar players, some well known and others not. One track was Thumbs Carllile who I'd never heard of. The sleeve notes said that he played with his thumbs with the guitar on his lap which seemed pretty bizarre at the time. There was no You Tube then so no way of seeing him play. It was only some years later when I saw Jeff Healey that I realised how Thumbs must have played.

As a bit of trivia his name was sometimes misrepresented as Carlisle including on the compilation album I bought.

• I must admit I’d never heard of him until Jason Isbell name checked him recently. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    That's tasty!  Interesting to see where he had the capo, it looked to be right on top of the fret rather than just behind it.

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    "that's the wildest thing I ever saw".

So true.  That was incredible.  He damn near turned the guitar into a piano.