Boss FS-7 switch polarity?

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
Anyone know what this is for?

As an expansion for something Like a GT-1000 or HX Stomp.

Any reason I couldnt just use any dual, momentary switch, pedal with TRS like the Moskey on ebay for half the price?

Would the polarity switch make any great difference?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The Mosky works fine with the HX stomp
    the FS-7 polarity switch, basically swaps the tip and ring connections
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    John_A said:

Any idea how it would work for the boss units?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited February 2021
    tekbow said:
    John_A said:

Sorry, no idea

I would add, while I had no issues the Mosky I had,I’ve seen pics of the insides and they look very poorly made, and the Boss will work with anything

John_A said:
    tekbow said:
    John_A said:

Sorry, no idea

I would add, while I had no issues the Mosky I had,I’ve seen pics of the insides and they look very poorly made, and the Boss will work with anything

To be fair, that's a good point
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited March 2021
    I use the Mosky dual switches with my Boss MS-3 - no problems. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    The polarity switch sets whether the circuit is open or closed when the pedal isn’t pressed. (And vice versa when it is, obviously.)

This matters for a latching switch with an LED so the light being on corresponds to the function being on - some manufacturers use different switching logic so this isn’t consistent - and for a momentary switch so the function is on when you press the switch. For a momentary switch controlling a latching function it determines whether the change happens as you press the switch down or when you release it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    I bought a dual momentary one from  little-vein which is meant to be based upon the FS6.  It's a great size, however the leds need flipping around as they come on when they should be off.  I think that's the case for the HX stomp as well (I currently have one and it was doing the same for that).

He offered to do the work and also sent me a diagram if I wanted to do it. I'll have a go at it as it's very simple.

I'm sure he would switch them round before hand if you emailed him.

They also look really well made

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Latching-Footswitch-FS-6-Skinny-Little-Twins-from-Vein-Tap-com/231902433135
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited March 2021
    ICBM said:
    The polarity switch sets whether the circuit is open or closed when the pedal isn’t pressed. (And vice versa when it is, obviously.)

This matters for a latching switch with an LED so the light being on corresponds to the function being on - some manufacturers use different switching logic so this isn’t consistent - and for a momentary switch so the function is on when you press the switch. For a momentary switch controlling a latching function it determines whether the change happens as you press the switch down or when you release it.
    This - it just switches around the on/off switching.  Non-latching are sometimes called 'sustain' pedals in that they only engage something whilst pressed and then return once you let go - you usually don't want that the other way around, hence the polarity switch. The Boss switches are great but really expensive. I have two interlocking Bespeco VM20 non-latching switches (that have the polarity switch) that I used to use with my Boss GT3/GT6 etc, but now use with my Pod Go. Had these years, & have always worked flawlessly.  

Interestingly, some modern MFX pedals, eg my Line 6 Pod Go, allows you to switch the polarity of connected switches, so that they work the right way round.  Nice feature if your foot-switch doesn't have a polarity switch. 

https://www.guitar.co.uk/bespeco-vm20-sustain-pedal-foot-switch
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Just went with the FS7 in the end.

It all arrives today.