Rickenbacker pickup switch slipping

I think this is a fairly common issue but the pickup switch on my 2000 Rik 360/12 won’t stay in the downwards bridge position- it quickly flicks back to middle position. I’ve read that you can use needle pliers to bend part of the switch mechanism back into place but has anyone here succeeded in this? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    edited February 2021
    You can - the Switchcraft switch just has two blades and they can be bent back in to resume normal operation.

The first sign is often that the toggle can wobble about in the centre position, rather than staying positively in place.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    "They all do that, sir."
    Be seeing you.
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Looks like I'll have to get the pickguard off to access it properly; things are rarely straightforward on a Rik...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Taking the pickguard off a Rick is easier than almost any other guitar... four screws.

You’ll find the switch actuator is slipping off the angled ‘shelf’ at the end of the switch contact. You probably need to bend this *very* slightly so it just stays in place - but before you do, check it isn’t catching on one of the pickup cables.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Thanks ICBM. Having sprayed some switch cleaner in there, it’s better but I’m sure I tried that before and it proved a temp fix only.