Laney Super Cub -Live?

PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
Morning all...

I've got my eye on one of these.. Anyone used one in a small pub type venue?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    I’m guessing you mean the 15W Cub Super 12? My thoughts are that it should be up to the job. I know people that regularly gig AC10s, AC15s, Blues Juniors, etc in small venues with no issues. Probably would run out of clean headroom in a particularly loud band but more than adequate for most small venue situations.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    HAL9000 said:
    I’m guessing you mean the 15W Cub Super 12? My thoughts are that it should be up to the job. I know people that regularly gig AC10s, AC15s, Blues Juniors, etc in small venues with no issues. Probably would run out of clean headroom in a particularly loud band but more than adequate for most small venue situations.
    That's the one. Just wondering if anyone was doing the same

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Depends on the band and muic style, but I have gigged mine a lot in a blues trio, & rock  4 piece guises. 

I found I had to change the speaker to something a little more lively, so Its got a Celestion V in it, which suits it very well.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited March 2021
    Pwalo said:
    Morning all...

I've got my eye on one of these.. Anyone used one in a small pub type venue?
    I've used my Cub12R at rehearsals and small clubs and mic nights. It sounded so good and punched through so well that others asked if they could use it for their sets.  This was all with a sensible drummer that wasn't going mental on a huge kit. But I don't think it was ever turned up more than half way. I would caveat that I upgraded to a Celestion Vintage 30 that has a 100dB sensitivity, so will be a bit louder than the stock speaker.

Cracking little amp that punches way above its weight with great features Inc a good quality digital reverb,  serial fx send and return, 8/16 ohm extn cab out, full EQ, and even a built in tilt stand.  The new Super Cub has a gain boost that can be kicked in by a separate to buy footswitch. 

I really can't recommend The Cub12R more highly. 

There are some home demos I did some years back on you tube with a Les Paul and a Strat:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited March 2021
    Just to clarify, the new Cubs have a much better speaker in them now than the budget Celestion Rocket 50 that mine and the original Cub 12Rs came with. Hence why I dumped it for a Vintage 30 in the first 2 weeks. 

I have one criticism of the new Super Cub 12R vs the original Cub 12R though. And that's regarding tube changing. The original Cub 12R has an easy to remove mesh rear cover that gives access to the tubes.  The new Super Cub 12R has hidden tubes that you can only access by dropping the chassis out. According to Laney it's to prevent excess heat getting to the speaker and improve overall acoustics. But its also a nod to the nanny state mentality in case folk burn themselves on hot tubes. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Thanks all...
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited March 2021
    I have one and it is plenty loud enough for small gigs, probably ok for medium sized ones if you don't need crystal cleans and providing your drummist isn't a complete animal. Anything louder than that and I would imagine you'd be micing up anyway.
    Only got the chance to use it live once but it was pretty clear it had plenty of volume for a bigger place. I tried it through a 2x12 in a rehearsal room too and that was more again. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    I've played my Cub 12R a few times in a church setting. Was plenty loud enough. 

• i gigged a cub 12r , but with upgraded speaker, a vintage 30, plenty loud enough in pubs even with a hard hitting drummer but not with a pure clean tone.  Ive also seen a blues band playing with a cub 10, unmicced, also pretty loud.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Also I don't know what the new combo is like, but my older Cub 12R combo has a speaker out - so you could run it through a 2x12 or even 4x12.

Just as I was about to press buy, a Laney LFR 112 came up cheapish, so I’m going to give the pod go another chance...