Any wi fi / techno savvy members

What's Hot
I'm looking to install a wi fi security camera for the back garden. There are some decent looking ones on sale but all the ones I would like to buy work on 2.4g wi fi......I think mine is 5g? Is it worth me faffing around with my  wi fi hub.....bearing in mind that I know diddly squat about wi fi and just about managed to set my hub up because it was kinda just switch it on and press a pair devices button.   Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Someone smarter than me will be along but if you Google your hub, there will be a way to split it into 2 desperate ssids. One for 5ghz and one for 2.4ghz
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Most modern hubs are dual 2.4 and 5G so shouldn't be an issue. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    What do I have to do?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1949
    Danny1969 said:
    What do I have to do?
    You may need to login to the Web Interface of your router (using the Admin account) then look for WiFi settings and then SSID. You'll probably find that you have a single SSID name for both 2.4 and 5g WiFi networks - change the name of the 2.4 network so that you can easily identify it. 

To be honest I'd try connecting the camera without changing anything, it might just work.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    edited March 2021
    If it's dual channel, like a Virgin or BT hub then you will notice both the 2.4 and 5G bands broadcasting when you check your phone or laptop for available wireless networks. Virgin Superhub will broadcast it's self as VM898989-2G and VM898989-5G for example. It's the same Network name and same password, if your gadget doesn't support 5G at all then it won't try to connect to it. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    If it's dual channel, like a Virgin or BT hub then you will notice both the 2.4 and 5G bands broadcasting when you check your phone or laptop for available wireless networks. Virgin Superhub will broadcast it's self as VM898989-2G and VM898989-5G for example. It's the same Network name and same password, if your gadget doesn't support 5G at all then it won't try to connect to it. 

I've managed to find the hub manager and it looks like it's a dual channel hub. It's telling me that 2 devices are currently using 5g channel (me on here and the missus on her phone) and no devices are using the 2.4g channel. Can I presume that if I get the camera that I'm after, then the hub will be able to recognise that it has to use the 2.4g channel?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    Yes.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Def set it up on the 2.4ghz channel as this has more range than 5ghz. Depends on the location of the camera etc. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    If the camera is only 2.4GHz capable it won't even see the 5GHz channel, so should just connect to the right one.

If both channels are broadcasting with the same name (so as the user you can't see what you're connecting to, explicitly) then occasionally some devices struggle, and you need to tweak the router so that they use different IDs, then you can be absolutely sure what you've connected to. Normally (in my experience) that's an issue with kit that has relatively early implementations of 5GHz in it, and it gets in a snit trying to work out which to use. Kit that doesn't know any better will just use what it can.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    What have you got hidden in your garden that needs maximum security protection?