Ian St John

What's Hot

Comments

• RIP Saint..   can't believe Greavsie outlived him..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I never knew him as a player, but Saint and Greavsie were great on the TV back in the day. A wonderful pairing with a great sense of humour.

I really like the Beeb's photo - shows him as a proper footballer, great leg muscles and really getting stuck in!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    axisus said:

I really like the Beeb's photo - shows him as a proper footballer, great leg muscles and really getting stuck in!

Yes, a great picture. Gordon Banks in full flight. I guess this is from the F.A. Cup semi in 1963.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Aw, man..! Just about remember him as a player. Loved saint and greavsie, back in the day..
    RIP Saint!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I reckon every football fan in the country loved Saint and Greavsie, certainly brightened up my Saturdays.
    RIP Saint.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    That's a sad one alright. Always seemed such a lovely person and a Liverpool legend for sure. Saint and Greavsie was a staple of my youth. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    RIP Saint..   can't believe Greavsie outlived him..

Indeed, I'm also surprised that Greavsie's still around but Saint's gone.  RIP. 

I think I probably watched their show before I even had any interest in football. 

It's strange, I've often thought "isn't it about time they had a new series?", as if it was just temporarily out of the schedules between seasons, but it finished nearly 30 years ago!  I was wondering why such a popular show got cancelled, but of course it was because the Premier League went to Sky.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    I remember a quote from years ago on a billboard, probably outside a church, near Anfield

What would you do if Jesus came to Liverpool?  Move St John to inside right and play 4-3-3

I can't recall him as a player - But recall the Saint 'n; Greavsie show and recall he was a legend of the 60's and I suppose the start of the era when Shanks built LFC into the powerhouse they became

RIP Saint
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I remember a quote from years ago on a billboard, probably outside a church, near Anfield

What would you do if Jesus came to Liverpool?  Move St John to inside right and play 4-3-3

On the walls in Liverpool:
    "Jesus saves" to which was added "St John knocks in the rebound".

St John was on the short-list for BBC commentators for the 1970 World Cup. It came down to a choice between him and Idwal Robling. The casting vote went to Sir Alf who preferred the dulcet Welsh tones of Robling. Who knows, we might have not had John Motson if he had won and we might have watched Mottie & Greavsie on the telly.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    It's a funny old game.
    Och - you kill me, Greavsie.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:

On the walls in Liverpool:
    "Jesus saves" to which was added "St John knocks in the rebound".

St John was on the short-list for BBC commentators for the 1970 World Cup. It came down to a choice between him and Idwal Robling. The casting vote went to Sir Alf who preferred the dulcet Welsh tones of Robling. Who knows, we might have not had John Motson if he had won and we might have watched Mottie & Greavsie on the telly.
    I had heard that line but forgot about it

Did not know about the BBC story - Off topic I suppose, but never know how Shearer became such a pundit - Might have been a good footballer, but boring pundit - But not on his own - The guy who I thought would be a bad pundit and be very biased towards MUFC is Gary Neville - But he is excellent 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I am too young to remember him when he played, but I think Saint and Greavsie was a great show. Both of them were sharp as tacks. Saint was a natural presenter. RIP.