Guitar Buying Advice

What's Hot
AMD8806AMD8806 Frets: 1
Since I got myself a guitar at the start of the lockdown in 2020. I thought recently about getting myself a new guitar but got stuck trying to find something new, so far I've got 3 being a Squire 70s HSS Strat, A sterling sub axis and a Epiphone sg muse. Essentially anything under the £450 mark is where I'm looking at. I mainly am after something versatile. Genre wise its mostly rock varying from indie to more heavy stuff like early sabbath at most. Amp wise I have an orange micro dark with a V30 1x12.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I would've said the Strat was very versatile.
    I'd be looking at a better amp, but that's only coz I'm not keen on the Micro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Epiphone Les Paul Special?
    Gives you a single cut, P90's for a bit of a different sound vs SG and Strat. 
  • The 3 guitars that you have are perfectly decent instruments. What are they lacking that leads you to think you need to add to or replace them? For under £450 it’s unlikely you will find anything significantly better, only maybe marginally different.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6989
    Well, I suppose the most pressing question would be “what do you feel you’re not getting from your current trio?”  

You’ve got a stratty guitar with a bridge humbucker (as Sassafras says, very versatile), a fast shred rock guitar in the Axis and a classic blues rock guitar in the SG.  Quite a few bases covered there.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    CV Telecaster, PRS SE or Epi Les Paul?
  • AMD8806AMD8806 Frets: 1
    Sorry for everyone I didn't explain that very well the 3 guitars I've been looking at are the squire epi and sterling I haven't actually bought them.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5733
    AMD8806 said:
    Sorry for everyone I didn't explain that very well the 3 guitars I've been looking at are the squire epi and sterling I haven't actually bought them.
    And you have one now, is that right?

Are you looking to compliment that one or make a change?
  • ColsCols Frets: 6989
    AMD8806 said:
    Ah, I see.

Of your three candidates, the Squier is the most versatile; vibrato bridge and a broad texture of tones from full-throated rawk on the bridge humbucker to more subtle single coil tones.

Another option - and right at the upper end of your budget - is a PRS SE Standard 24.  Very well put together, vibrato bridge, 24 feet neck and twin humbuckers with coil splits for when you need a bit of single coil quack.
  • AMD8806AMD8806 Frets: 1
    Cols said:
    AMD8806 said:
    Ah, I see.

Of your three candidates, the Squier is the most versatile; vibrato bridge and a broad texture of tones from full-throated rawk on the bridge humbucker to more subtle single coil tones.

Another option - and right at the upper end of your budget - is a PRS SE Standard 24.  Very well put together, vibrato bridge, 24 feet neck and twin humbuckers with coil splits for when you need a bit of single coil quack.
    A used prs does sound tempting I like the shape as it suits me well as I'm not a fan of some Gibson's and Epiphone's as a friend offered me to borrow his 03' Les Paul custom and although it sounded lovely it was way too heavy and a bit blocky for my taste
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I’ve been knocked out by the SE PRS series. A lot of guitar for the money and the playing and intonation is more like a £1K guitar. 
  • jeztone2 said:
    I’ve been knocked out by the SE PRS series. A lot of guitar for the money and the playing and intonation is more like a £1K guitar. 
    I’ve had a couple of PRS SEs in the past and the above is very true. 

Plus (although this is obviously personal opinion) I really liked the clarity of the tone from both that I had (245 and CU24) even with the stock pickups. 

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    If you're into a twin humbucker kind of guitar, a PRS SE (22 or 24) could indeed be a very good shout. They really are great quality, very easy to play, sound good. A bit more than your budget (even used) but well worth it.

Otherwise, of those you mentioned, the Strat would be very versatile indeed.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!