Mick Taylor (TPS) on You Tube guitar gear demo's

What's Hot
Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
I don't know if this has been posted here before but it could be of interest to anyone with their own You Tube channel or maybe just for home recording.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    The "Ratner Moment" comment made me chuckle, but it got me thinking- there's always been a portion of the Youtube audience that wants "no talking, just playing" demos. You can see the appeal. But what might actually be the most helpful is hearing clearly expressed opinions from people whose ears you trust. In that respect, Mick Taylor is in no danger of losing his job, since he has no trouble expressing himself clearly and entertainingly.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I posted quite an early comment on there and got a reply from Mick, I’m not entirely sure what he meant but I might be off the Christmas card list. 

The basics of what he is saying, I think, is much the same as any of us would say which is there are so many variables in what you hear ( player, rig, post processing, what you are listening on) that you can’t really expect that any pedal will sound exactly the same when you get it home. A demo ( and they are rarely reviews) is just a snapshot. My argument is that it would be nice if they also read the manual sometimes as explanation of functions, especially unique functions, are often very poor. But as TPS aren’t a demo channel I’ll let them off the hook. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I certainly found it interesting if not surprising - but that's I think why when Andy was at Pro Guitar Shop they always used the same amp set broadly the same way IIRC. It just controls some of those variables.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Group tests are often a better way to do these demos.  If you include one or two common pieces of gear then people have a reference point they are likely to know as a comparison.

That was particularly useful on some speaker demos on Youtube.  They did quite a lot of speakers in the same cab with the same amp.  The group included a Vintage 30 and a Greenback, both of which I have owned.  Something like that makes for a more useful comparison than a demo of a single one on it's own. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    The "Ratner Moment" comment made me chuckle, but it got me thinking- there's always been a portion of the Youtube audience that wants "no talking, just playing" demos. You can see the appeal. But what might actually be the most helpful is hearing clearly expressed opinions from people whose ears you trust. In that respect, Mick Taylor is in no danger of losing his job, since he has no trouble expressing himself clearly and entertainingly.
    I find his opinion is very predictable and he is so rooted in the world of blues he struggles to see past the end of his nose. 
    Andy will always be king when it comes to pedal reviews
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    As with any demo, you watch a bunch and then spot what is the common denominator with each demo.  Don’t take a single demo to put you off or use it as gospel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1386
    Andy never reviews pedals, as far as I know. He demos/promotes them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    I watch demos more for things like functionality and the like. Sure sound is important, but we know that's a big variable on YouTube vids.

It does really annoy me when some of the more luddite channels criticise new tech they are demoing for things that would be easily solved by reading the manual. Or at the least not treating whatever it is like a 60 year old valve amp. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    What's that funny little single pedalboard?
    The green thing that looks like a tiny  step-ladder.
  • Andy will always be king when it comes to pedal reviews
    Andy never reviews pedals, as far as I know. He demos/promotes them.

He makes all of them sound good because he can show them all in a useful context. 

Yes, he's promoting them, but he's also proving they're all very capable, if used appropriately (using a boss ds-1 into a clean Fender for smooth blues won't work, so mick probably wouldn't be into it, but using it for 90s grunge and alt rock really shows it at its best). 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

There are a few I like:

Andy, obviously.

Mike Hermans

Knobs

Dennis Kayser

Brett Kingman

I don't expect any pedals to sound the same when I get them, but I usually get enough of an idea to make a yes/no decision.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2021
    When I watch pedal demos I try to look out  for people with a similar playing style to my own. Because the guitar is such a personal instrument. A players dynamics are probably more of an influence than how it’s recorded. 

So for example. If I’m watching Pete Honore with an overdrive pedal, it won’t tell me anything. Whereas if I watch Brett Kingman, his playing style is a lot closer to mine. So I sort of get a better sense of what something is likely to sound like in the context of my rig.  
    Do you not find Mike Hermans makes everything sound the same?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Sassafras said:
    Not so much as Gregg Hilden does.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    If it’s something I’m really interested in buying then I watch as many “demos” as possible including a few bedroom blasters with a smartphone to see if the item is consistent. 
    If you see someone who’s obviously not a great player with great gear getting a similar sound to all the usual suspects mentioned above then it probably is what it sounds like. 
    Then there’s the simple fact that tone is in the fingers... and the ears....I have days where my own rig of elements I’ve carefully chosen sounds like shi’ and other days when it sounds like angels nectar caressing my eardrums. 
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Haven't heard him.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Sassafras said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Haven't heard him.
    German guy. Demos loads of modern and vintage guitars. Somehow manages to make them all sound virtually the same.

I loved the sound of both guitar and amp setups in Mick's video. Interesting that at 3.00 he runs the DRRI volume at 7 which is for me the sweet spot of that amp and where I always set mine. Then at 3.20 he adds the Klon where I use a Tumnus.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Sassafras said:
    Yes!!! 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Andy is the pedal god. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited March 2021
    I find his opinion is very predictable and he is so rooted in the world of blues he struggles to see past the end of his nose. 
    Yeah, sometimes when you think you know what sort of thing Andy is gonna play then he pulls a totally unexpected cover out the bag. TPS is just "nice" bluesy stuff, same for Andertons without Chappers or Rabea to play something a bit more lively and break the dad blues tedium. I also find Mike Hermans a bit useless because his style is so polished and unlike anything I'd actually play. Pete Thorn is the most consistently good, Rabea and Leon Todd play the stuff that's closest to my band's style of music so I find those channels the most useful.