Mick Taylor (TPS) on You Tube guitar gear demo's

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Andy is the pedal god. 
    He certainly knows how to squeeze every last drop of goodness out of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    I'd love to see Andy review one and say 'Naah not for me that'...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:

I built a pedal that I'm pretty certain that would achieve that response!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Hattigol said:

I built a pedal that I'm pretty certain that would achieve that response!

You can tell by his expression when he plays if he really likes or dislikes a pedal
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    edited March 2021
    TTBZ said:
    I find his opinion is very predictable and he is so rooted in the world of blues he struggles to see past the end of his nose. 
    Andy will always be king when it comes to pedal reviews
    Yeah, sometimes when you think you know what sort of thing Andy is gonna play then he pulls a totally unexpected cover out the bag. TPS is just "nice" bluesy stuff, same for Andertons without Chappers or Rabea to play something a bit more lively and break the dad blues tedium. I also find Mike Hermans a bit useless because his style is so polished and unlike anything I'd actually play. Pete Thorn is the most consistently good, Rabea and Leon Todd play the stuff that's closest to my band's style of music so I find those channels the most useful.
    To be fair, when Dan & Mick are together, Dan often progresses into stuff which isn't the bluesy soloy stuff which is Mick's forte.

Edit: I know that Dan talks about playing with Max Sharam
     - I remember hearing her when I was in high school:

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1068
    edited March 2021
    Not to go all Joe Bonamassa but people do need to just go home and learn to play the guitar - in other words learn to use the tone and volume knobs and picking dynamics and just play. Rather than wasting x number of hours per week watching someone playing gear. The only person worth watching is Greg Koch to steal all his best riffs.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    edited March 2021
    I love the show, but a thing that always rubs me the wrong way is the refusal to stuff like the Helix. Its almost has a vibe of if the sheep realise a livelihood is fucked  
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    Sassafras said:
    What's that funny little single pedalboard?
    The green thing that looks like a tiny  step-ladder.
    If I remember correctly, I believe it’s a Schmidt Array board. 

I’ve watched the vid but it was a few days ago so it could be something else. 

I have a look at their website occasionally. Big coin for a pedal board even if they are very nice. 
    Not sure I could justify the outlay for something that is inevitably going to get a pint spilt on it at some point, although I do need a new board... 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited March 2021
    I like Pete Thorn's demos as you get a tune for context, a breakdown of the individual parts and detailed info.

Brett Kingman is always good but Jack from Peach and our parish has been putting out some fine demos over the last couple of years, particularly when reviewing guitars and is my current fave.

Michael Thompson, Allen Hinds and Paul Jackson were always good on the Xotic stuff but any of them could fart on a bucket and it would sound fabulous.

As Jeztone says, if you find a guitarist/demoer you identify with in terms of style and sound expectancy, it helps, however, it didn't work for me when I bought products (Mesa, JHS etc) used and endorsed by Andy Timmons. Despite using his settings, I never even got close and so you have to factor in the player and Chris Buck is a case in point
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 155
    LPManic said:
    Not to go all Joe Bonamassa but people do need to just go home and learn to play the guitar - in other words learn to use the tone and volume knobs and picking dynamics and just play. Rather than wasting x number of hours per week watching someone playing gear. The only person worth watching is Greg Koch to steal all his best riffs.
    Agreed with this, especially for myself. Over the last 3/4 years I’ve wasted so much time watching YouTube gear demos and looking into gear rather than playing the guitar. I think I’ve actually regressed as a player. 
    I’ve also learnt not to take any gear demo videos as gospel, for the reasons Mick says. But I also don’t trust most of these demo guys as there is always a flavour of the week drive pedal that seems to disappear after 6 months or so to be replaced by the next TS or bluesbreaker pedal.

Only in the last few months have I broken this cycle of gear watching and buying and started to just sit and practice the instrument again. I’m trying to only watch YouTube videos with some sort of value to them (like a lesson). 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    One of the reasons I have 6 over drives is that gain sounds have a lot of variables. A gear video is useless imho for gain sounds you need to try them in your given application.

Case in point with Mick Here's video, myself and two close friends have owned Klons since 2008 and none of us have sounded like him. 

I personally view TPS as information/entertainment. I've learnt things about gear I own. The volume pedal one was interesting. If someone wants to spend an hour on volume pedals I'll have it on when I'm working at home.

Where gear demos or reviews work for me, is when a new expensive pedal that Coda don't stock comes out, I can hear it.

When the black hole and nightsky came out I listened to the available demos. I look at who has a demo. My usual picks are Andy, Pete Thorn, Mike Hermans and Brett Kingham. 

There are a couple more that I'll have a go at but they talk too much or try to be funny (you're not) and in one case uncontrollably excited about every pedal. Actually I like the fact that pedals excite him that much but keep it off camera.

I still haven't bought a reverb but I do have a shortlist without leaving my house.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    edited March 2021
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Do you not find Mike Hermans makes everything sound the same?
    Not so much as Gregg Hilden does.
    Haven't heard him.
    German guy. Demos loads of modern and vintage guitars. Somehow manages to make them all sound virtually the same.

If you ever want proof that tone is mostly in the fingers/amp and very little to do with tonewood, nitro, relicing, glue type and wiring harnesses it’s Gregor.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Fifty9 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Haven't heard him.
    German guy. Demos loads of modern and vintage guitars. Somehow manages to make them all sound virtually the same.

If you ever want proof that tone is mostly in the fingers/amp and very little to do with tonewood, nitro, relicing, glue type and wiring harnesses it’s Gregor.

I'm not sure you will hear "proof" of anything on YouTube.  That was the whole point of Mick's video.  If everything he makes sounds the same, it's probably the post processing he uses.

I've had the same number 1 amp for well over a decade now.  In that time, I've had 3 Les Pauls (plus a PRS Singlecut), and they all sounded slightly different through it.  One Les Paul was particularly bright sounding acoustically, and that was replicated through the amp.  It sounded much thinner than a typical Les Paul.  If I was using that for recording, then I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference by the time I had played with the EQ etc, but I could definitely tell the difference playing it.

On the YouTube demos, you then have to deal with YouTube compression, and what you are listening through. I have a pair of studio monitors hooked up to my PC, but I bet that most listeners are listening on crappy little speakers on a laptop or phone.  A good chunk of the remaining listeners will be listening on consumer speakers that are designed to give more bass so they sound impressive and get good reviews from consumers.

There is no substitute for playing a guitar.  I'll buy some stuff online, but I normally try to avoid buying guitars online.  The Les Paul in my avatar is the exception to that, but I bought it in the big 2018 blowout, and I basically paid a second hand price for a new guitar.  There was very little risk.  However, I don't think it's as good a guitar as the 335 I bought a few months later when they were blowing out 335s.  I went to try the 335 in person though, and I had a chance to compare it to other 335s - and it was significantly better, and obviously a really great guitar.  I don't think I'd have been able to tell the difference between the different 335s in most online demos though.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Fifty9 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Haven't heard him.

Meh Rob Chapman has been doing that for a decade. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    crunchman said:
    Fifty9 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Haven't heard him.

I'm not sure you will hear "proof" of anything on YouTube.  That was the whole point of Mick's video.  If everything he makes sounds the same, it's probably the post processing he uses.
    I'm pretty sure that's down to his limited use of the pentatonic scale tbh

Old Mick 2 licks always tends to play the same old thing. 

He does have moments where he starts to play outside himself and he can do it but he always tends to default back to the same pentatonic licks and John mayer stuff
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • LPManic said:
    Why can't people just be allowed to do whatever they most enjoy doing? Twiddling knobs or not.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    edited March 2021
    LPManic said:
    Why can't people just be allowed to do whatever they most enjoy doing? Twiddling knobs or not. 
    People are free to whatever they want. The 'hobby' of guitars isn't one thing; it's whatever you want it to be. Some people are driven to create music, some want to be a better guitarist, some enjoy messing with gear, some enjoy trying to mimic the tones of their heroes and on we go ad infinitum................

I don't bother with any of this gear stuff crazyness because it's not the thing that appeals to me. I'd much rather be practising to be a better guitarist than 'wasting' time on messing with gear. Other people take the exact opposite view.

The fact is that any approach is equally valid and as long as you're having fun then that's all that matters.

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Sorry for being out of touch, but I clicked on this expecting to see The Rolling Stones guitarist. I forget that there's YT 'personalities'.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    AlexC said:
    Sorry for being out of touch, but I clicked on this expecting to see The Rolling Stones guitarist. I forget that there's YT 'personalities'.
    Mick was a contributor to and edited guitar magazines for many years as well as playing in various bands ( although none of particular repute that I'm aware of). So, he has - if it's important - a bit more credibility than someone who looks nice on youtube. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    AlexC said:
    Mick was a contributor to and edited guitar magazines for many years as well as playing in various bands ( although none of particular repute that I'm aware of). So, he has - if it's important - a bit more credibility than someone who looks nice on youtube. 

Oh, sure. I wasn't knocking him - I've seen TPS a few times, but I genuinely forget that there's names out there who aren't touring, recording artists who have a following. A change in trend over the last decade.