Pontins 'undesirable guest list'

What's Hot

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Cols said:
    They're a private company. I'm told private companies can decide who they want and who they don't want on their private platforms.
    I’m sure I have no idea what you’re talking about.
    Maybe he means the latest Pontins camps on redundant oil rigs in the North Sea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited March 2021
    I have no idea what Pontins is/are...I take it it’s like Butlins?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    There's plenty of Travellers with English surnames and plenty of the settled population with Irish surnames.
    It's just Racism.
    True, my mate Wandering Smythe is living proof of it.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Live in a caravan then go on holiday to stay in a caravan ???...

Last lot we had rock up on our local park were gone in 3 day (unlike the 3 weeks & £50k bill it took to get rid of them and clean up all their shit (yes kenny "real human shit" all over the kids play area!) the year before) seems they picked a fight with some bulgarians in the local Drive of a pub and came off the worse for it when the bulgarian cavalry arrived 10 mins later and shot one of them....who im told was then dead by the time they dragged him back to the van about 1/2 mile away......they have'nt been back since...which is nice!

1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cols said:
    They're a private company. I'm told private companies can decide who they want and who they don't want on their private platforms.
    Over the last 28 billion years, whenever sensible pro-freedom people have said that social media companies should be regulated to prevent people from being deplatformed and censored, the response chiefly from the far-left circuit has been 'BuT tHeY aRe A PriVUT CUmPOonEE aNd CunTdoWhaT DehY Leik!!!!!!!"

It's kind of a thing now.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I have no idea what Pontins is/are...I take it it’s like Butlins?
    Until you mentioned it, it hadn't dawned on me that it was Pontins rather than Butlins.  I didn't realise Pontins was still around.

Yes, it's a group of holiday camps, similar to Butlins.  Those of us of a certain age grew up with Sir Fred "Thumbs Up" Pontin telling us to "book early":

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    edited March 2021
    A few years ago we kept getting gypsies coming round and asking if we needed our garden doing, even though it was clearly fine. 
    Then a bit after that I saw one of the same guys walking down my drive and inspecting my side porch. When I opened the window and asked what he was doing he said he was interested in seeing if there was any scrap in there he could buy. Baffled I said no and he left.

Turns out they'd been observing our routine for ages. They turned up in a car on a day when my wife should have been at work but by coincidence had swapped shifts and was home. 
    She watched 2 of them get out and assumed they were gonna ask to do the garden again, but this time they beat on the door really hard and she got scared so hid and started filming them through various net curtained windows.
    They looked all round the house then went down to the side porch door and started cracking it out the frame with a crowbar. Middle of the day mid week, our kids in the house. My wife suddenly lifted the net curtains to burst out filming them and they ran off.

Had the police round and showed them the film which was up close of their faces, she described them all for drawings etc which all looked right.
    Few days later they called and said the would be intruders were known to police but theres nothing they can do about them. However don't worry cos they probably won't come back now that we've scared them off. Cue weeks of my wife terrified in her own home.

From what a lot of people have said when I tell this story it seems a common response from the police, and thats probably why places like Pontins have to come out with ridiculous sweeping surname rules. 
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6995
    Cols said:
    Over the last 28 billion years, whenever sensible pro-freedom people have said that social media companies should be regulated to prevent people from being deplatformed and censored, the response chiefly from the far-left circuit has been 'BuT tHeY aRe A PriVUT CUmPOonEE aNd CunTdoWhaT DehY Leik!!!!!!!"

I got that; I was being disingenuous.

So what’s your opinion on the Pontin’s matter?  Sensible pro-freedom that Pontin’s should be regulated to stop them from deplatforming Travellers, or far-left “private company, it’s up to them who the do and don’t let in”?
  • Cols said:
    Cols said:

I got that; I was being disingenuous.

So what’s your opinion on the Pontin’s matter?  Sensible pro-freedom that Pontin’s should be regulated to stop them from deplatforming Travellers, or far-left “private company, it’s up to them who the do and don’t let in”?
    The same way I think social media companies have too much power and should be held to account, I also think Butlins or Poontoons or whateverthefuckthey'recalled should also be held to account.

Pointing at "behavioural patterns" as a defense of this undesireable list is a fascist way to think.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Agreed. I have no problem with them banning individuals on the basis of previous behaviour, but banning a whole group on the basis of the behaviour of some (even if it were a majority), is still a step too far. As well as being illegal in this case.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    strtdv said:
    Agreed. I have no problem with them banning individuals on the basis of previous behaviour, but banning a whole group on the basis of the behaviour of some (even if it were a majority), is still a step too far. As well as being illegal in this case.

It is illegal, and rightly so, but the authorities need to do their part.  They need to enforce the other laws that have led to Pontins taking this action.  If these got heavy fines and/or jail for the criminal damage they cause, then there would be a deterrent, and the issue wouldn't arise.

The problem is that we have reached the point where they can do these things with impunity.  It didn't involve Travellers, but the incident I mentioned above where a pregnant woman was mugged on a train, and it was caught on camera, shows how low we have got.  The CPS didn't even bother to prosecute.  If they had prosecuted, they muggers would probably have got a slap on the wrist, rather than the years in jail they deserve.

It's that kind of climate that leads to reactions like the one from Pontins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Perhaps if the travellers who didn’t leave tons of rubble, human shit, broken caravans etc all over my lads cricket ground, our local park and the green could have a word with the ones who do then perhaps they wouldn’t be so despised. 
    I’m sure there are some who don’t behave like this but I’m yet to witness it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    PhilW1 said:
    So,what do Pontins do, turn a blind eye and ignore the fact that certain groups will run riot in their property, ruin other genuine holiday makers stays and ruin Pontins reputation (if they ever had one) or try and make a stand?
    I think it’s a lose lose for them.
    What they can’t do is something illegal. 

Nothing to stop them banning people based on past behaviour or dealing with bad behaviour as it arises.
    Same as they would do for anyone else. 

In practice many holiday companies run some kind of vetting process, no commercial vehicles being the obvious one ( just say the parking spaces aren't big enough or whatever) as many travellers will have vans rather than cars. 

My memories of trying Pontins and Butlins holidays with my kids is that the only staff you ever saw were local teenagers and the general level of organisation was terrible ( Butlins in Minehead was the most godawful place I have ever paid for a holiday, big shiney attractions, hours of queuing and an 'apartment that had been trashed by previous occupants and not cleaned or fixed ). Good few years ago now but if things haven't changed significantly maybe some hands on managers to deal with problems as they arise, less of a this placed is already f****d atmosphere and less trying to sell you alcohol at every turn might help.    

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    edited March 2021
    strtdv said:

But you’re fine with my wife (or someone like her) having to go back to being sexually  harassed,, having to lock herself into the staff break room, and clean shit out of soft furniture?

Because that’s what dropping the profiling would mean in the specific case I’m familiar with...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    RobDavies said:
    I DJ’d a traveller engagement party once - it was very entertaining. The fighting was great, and the young ladies didn’t wear much. 
    Some of the fellas in attendance even helped me move some of my gear out to the car park - without even being asked.  Unfortunately the silly billy’s put several thousand quids worth of lighting and PA into the wrong vehicle ... totally innocent I’m sure. 

When I asked if they could put it in my car, they offered to sell it to me. So there was clearly some kind of mix up on my part and they definitely weren’t sly or thieving or dishonest, or anything like that at all. Oh no. And the lovely tradition of ‘grabbing’ (witnessed first hand by me) isn’t sexual assault either.  Oh no, definitely not. 

Fortunately, the police were in attendance due to the aforementioned punch up, and I did get my gear back but ended up two hundred quid down as another ‘mix up’ meant that party organiser refused to pay me, and the cheeky chappy also threatened to cut my throat from ear to ear if I didn’t fuck off home immediately.  I reckon he thought I must be tired after such a tough gig and needed to go to bed for some rest. 

Howling. Absolutely howling.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The thing I find extraordinary and unbelievable about this whole story is that you have to reserve places at Pontins.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Sounds to me like some of you may want to consider moving? Where the hell do you live? I have never seen a group of travellers or gypsies in my life.
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    AlexC said:
    Sounds to me like some of you may want to consider moving? Where the hell do you live? I have never seen a group of travellers or gypsies in my life.
    Well, aren’t you the lucky one..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    AlexC said:

If you ever want to see them then they've set up a little village next to Crown Point in Leeds.
    Sometimes their donkey wanders around the shops and surrounding street on a morning, but you've to watch out if it's dark because I've stood in its shit before.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2398
    Good.

Frankly, fuck the gypsies and the travelling community. I have never met a 'decent' traveler, and there are loads around this area. Constant problems from all of them, and their mates when they turn up (and inevitably refuse to leave, costing us a shit load of money to evict them and then the clean-up fees etc.).

Just a shame the police are scared of them and refuse to prosecute in the majority of cases.

I've no doubt many of you will be disgusted by this attitude, but quite frankly, I don't care. They are a blight on society (especially in this area), and it's about time they were cracked down on.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom