Replacement Relic Pickguard

What's Hot
BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
edited March 2021 in Guitar
I love this strat.  It plays really easy and sounds great.  However i have never liked the anodised goldish scratchplate and really would like to change it.

What are the best colour options and where you go for one?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gucyb614n17rtk5/Strat.jpg?raw=1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    There are charles guitars which do relic stuff but seems pricey to me.  Some suppliers on ebay, there is one in holland who's name I can't remember but the new regulations may bump the price up.  I think SC Relics supplies them, or relic one yourself, bit of wirewool, stain it with cold coffee etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Thanks like a fool i have lost the ability to upload photos from dropbox
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6877
    I reckon Tiny Tone of Jacks Instrument services could possibly do something for ya. 

They made me a replacement guard and engraved it too, but I did see on their website they offer a couple relic options.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5017
    edited March 2021
    Bear in mind that the 8-screw single-ply guards on 50s maple board Strats didn’t go mint green and would more or less stay white. Personally I’d get one of these, £45 ish with the aluminium screening plate, or something similar.
    https://www.charlesguitars.co.uk/aged-relic/Strat-fender-style-aged-and-relic/Aged-Pickguards-Backplates/vintage-relic-aged-57-single-ply-white-pickguard
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I just got an off white one, kicked it across the floor a couple of times, then got some super high grade wire wool and some briwax went over the whole lot with the exception of under the string area. Blend in and its looks great - not super relicd just matches the age of the guitar it went on nicely.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    @Christeafur that looks cool. Just right. 

I've done my own aged look a few times, wire wool, coffee/tea, cellulose tinted varnish, wire wool again. Works for me.
    I just got an off white one, kicked it across the floor a couple of times, then got some super high grade wire wool and some briwax went over the whole lot with the exception of under the string area. Blend in and its looks great - not super relicd just matches the age of the guitar it went on nicely.

Nice one thanks
    Thanks guys
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited March 2021
    I have a ‘relic’ single ply white guard from Charles guitars. The ‘relic’ rubs straight of with a couple of finger rubs. Is that some wired irony or something? 
    It’s also brand new shiny. Terrible job

In the great words of my 3 year olds favourite book, dear zoo, I sent it back 
  • First dibs on your gold anodised board if you want rid. Would potentially look great on my gold Fernandes. Might also clash terribly but willing to take the risk.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Another thumbs down for Charles Guitars regarding their relic pickguards. Bought one recently, it was slightly discoloured which was sort of ok, but brand new shiny. Used some wire wool on it to knock the shine back, and all the relic colouring came off. Total rubbish, and back to square one looking for a single ply off white 5 hole tele guard.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

This is my self done one:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:

Looks great! Like its been smoking 40 Malboro Reds a day for the last 30 years. How did you do it?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14223
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:

That looks pretty good 

I did not know CharlesGuitars until this posting - But a few negative comments from FB guys - Have used Crazy parts a couple of times in the past - Going back a bit I had used Fat Boy Guitar parts on the IOW, but think he has stopped such parts now but carry's on with his own p/ups
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    axisus said:

That looks amazing - whole guitar looks amazing.
    Looks great! Like its been smoking 40 Malboro Reds a day for the last 30 years. How did you do it?

The main thing is tinted nitro spray. I go over the whole top with wire wool to dull it down, spray with the tint, and then when it's dry, more rubbing with fine wire wool, taking more off in some areas. You car use tea/coffee before spraying to add effect. Because it's varnish it's a pretty durable finish - and it doesn't really look like it's just been sprayed. 
  • EskerEsker Frets: 80
    Charles guitars resell crazy parts I believe...they are called art of ageing...I agree about the pickguards, but the strat knobs are very good but pricey.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    axisus said:

Cool guitar!