Who is dreading the commute into work once lockdown is over?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 6332
    Well I'm looking forward to getting down the beach during the day when the weather warms up. As much as I would like to be doing a commute and a 9 hour working day it doesn't sound like much fun so I'm gonna pass :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 93
    crunchman said:
    12 to 15 minutes on the bike depending on how a catch a level crossing.  Quite nice to get fresh air and some light exercise.  Would be even better if BMW and Audi drivers were removed from the roads.
    To be honest , I was very happy not seeing crazy bikers speeding and squeezing through tiniest gaps in between cars as well as  slow-mo drivers , that hold traffic behind trying  to get to 50mph for ages .
    So I am not looking forward to seeing them again .
    And yes , I drive BMW :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 5715
    edited March 4
    Jazzthat said:
    crunchman said:
    12 to 15 minutes on the bike depending on how a catch a level crossing.  Quite nice to get fresh air and some light exercise.  Would be even better if BMW and Audi drivers were removed from the roads.
    To be honest , I was very happy not seeing crazy bikers speeding and squeezing through tiniest gaps in between cars as well as  slow-mo drivers , that hold traffic behind trying  to get to 50mph for ages .
    So I am not looking forward to seeing them again .
    And yes , I drive BMW
    I have literally never seen anyone accelerate to 50 slowly enough to ruin someone's day. If you're behind someone and furious that it took them 45 seconds to get up to 50 when you know your BMW could do it in a quarter of the time no problem, you have a psychological disorder.
    Captain Horizon (my old band);
    Very (!) Occasional Blog
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 93
    Cirrus said:
    Jazzthat said:
    crunchman said:
    12 to 15 minutes on the bike depending on how a catch a level crossing.  Quite nice to get fresh air and some light exercise.  Would be even better if BMW and Audi drivers were removed from the roads.
    To be honest , I was very happy not seeing crazy bikers speeding and squeezing through tiniest gaps in between cars as well as  slow-mo drivers , that hold traffic behind trying  to get to 50mph for ages .
    So I am not looking forward to seeing them again .
    And yes , I drive BMW
    I have literally never seen anyone accelerate to 50 slowly enough to ruin someone's day. If you're behind someone and furious that it took them 45 seconds to get up to 50 when you know your BMW could do it in a quarter of the time no problem, you have a psychological disorder.
    I used to have fabia 1.2 and the problem was exactly the same . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 5715
    Jazzthat said:
    Cirrus said:
    Jazzthat said:
    crunchman said:
    12 to 15 minutes on the bike depending on how a catch a level crossing.  Quite nice to get fresh air and some light exercise.  Would be even better if BMW and Audi drivers were removed from the roads.
    To be honest , I was very happy not seeing crazy bikers speeding and squeezing through tiniest gaps in between cars as well as  slow-mo drivers , that hold traffic behind trying  to get to 50mph for ages .
    So I am not looking forward to seeing them again .
    And yes , I drive BMW
    I have literally never seen anyone accelerate to 50 slowly enough to ruin someone's day. If you're behind someone and furious that it took them 45 seconds to get up to 50 when you know your BMW could do it in a quarter of the time no problem, you have a psychological disorder.
    I used to have fabia 1.2 and the problem was exactly the same . 
    "                       "
    Captain Horizon (my old band);
    Very (!) Occasional Blog
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1427
    I couldn’t stomach a normal five day commute again. This past year working from home has been taxing with isolation, slow connection issues and brief losses of focus, but at least I gain two hours worth of free time and I can wear whatever the hell I like.

    No word on what my company will be doing, but ideally working two days out of five in the office would be perfect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 5715
    edited March 4
    For clarity, it's not the BMW I care about. It's just a car. It's the attitude of total impatience and self importance. If some old biddy accelerating slowly is genuinely ruining your day it's a real shame.

    Back to topic, I'm not really looking forward to it, but I don't dread it. It's about 45-50 minutes each way for me when there's no hold ups, which is time I've enjoyed having to lie in a bit longer, making music a bit sooner in the evening etc. But I tend to be pretty relaxed while driving (I've probably annoyed a few @Jazzthats in my time  ) and use the drive to listen to audiobooks, podcasts etc and generally have a nice bit of me time. What ruins it is when people drive like dickheads because they're desperate to kill themselves and me for literally no reason. I've seen a lot higher proportion of such people over the last year than I'm used to, to be honest.

    Don't get me wrong, I've been in a rush places too, driven too fast, gone flat out for a laugh, it's just that when I'm exasperated with those around me, it never helps and on reflection it never mattered.
    Captain Horizon (my old band);
    Very (!) Occasional Blog
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 77
    Driving a BMW is like making love to a beautiful woman, 
    https://i.imgur.com/r8k3TCl.jpg
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 1864
    M1ck said:
    Driving a BMW is like making love to a beautiful woman, 
    https://i.imgur.com/r8k3TCl.jpg
    You mean the servicing costs are enormous and it'll be more trouble than it's worth when it gets older?

    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 25291
    The feeling at Arcadis is we're far more efficient working from home!

    We'll be adopting a personal need led hybrid. I will go to the offices from time to time, as much to give the S5 a blow out as anything !!

    Donald Trump has spoken movingly about 7-Eleven. It reminded him, he said, of the way Americans came together in 1941 after Pearl Necklace.

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 6332
    If it's got tits or wheels it's gonna cause you grieve at one point !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 12416
    Danny1969 said:
    If it's got tits or wheels it's gonna cause you grieve at one point !

    What if it has both?
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 77
    Musicwolf said:
    M1ck said:
    Driving a BMW is like making love to a beautiful woman, 
    https://i.imgur.com/r8k3TCl.jpg
    You mean the servicing costs are enormous and it'll be more trouble than it's worth when it gets older?

    yip especially if its rear drive!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 3475
    skunkwerx said:
    Fuck commuting. 
    Well, it would pass the time I guess?

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 3542
    10-15 min drive for me in Company van, then on same site all day, no problem. Partly looking forward to it. Go back in two weeks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1001
    crunchman said:
    M1ck said:
    crunchman said:
    Would be even better if BMW and Audi drivers were removed from the roads.
    Any particular reason? I guess if you look at any group of drivers or road users you can find fault, motorcycles, hot hatches, sports cars, 4x4s and so on not just BMW or Audi drivers. I don’t particularly like cyclists on busy or fast roads riding two abreast, or using the road when there’s a cycle path parallel to the road. Controversial? Maybe, but I still give cyclists a wide berth as well as horses even though the number of times I get the universal hand signal from cyclists not obeying the Highway Code as I overtake them - obeying the Highway Code - is unreal. 

    The way they drive:

    Indicators an optional extra.

    Overtaking far too close and when there isn't room.

    Aggressively revving engines when there isn't room to overtake.

    Cut you up.

    General aggression towards bikes.

    Deliberately pull out in front of you when it's your priority.

    Drivers of other car brands sometimes do those things, but it seems to be a much higher proportion of BMW and Audi drivers.

    I must admit I do feel smug when I overtake them again at the next set of lights, and all their aggressive idiocy has been for nothing, but life would be far better without that kind of driving in the first place.
    I'm surprised you forgot to mention how BMW and Audi drivers also habitually drive through red lights while pedestrians are trying to cross, how they overtake on the inside as you are turning left, having indicated, how they weave in and out of traffic, how they regularly drive the wrong way down one way systems and through no-entry signs, how they drive along pavements, how they drive three abreast, wheezing up a hill at walking pace when they are out playing with their friends in their matching outfits, effectively blocking the road for other road users trying to go about their jobs, how they drive around in winter without lights, then lose their temper when reminded that lights are a legal requirement. Terrible people, drivers, especially those BMW and Audi drivers. And the sanctimonious virtue-signalling lack of self awareness they display, those BMW and Audi drivers, I've even heard one or two admitting to being smug.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I'm in London. New head office is in Cambridge. I am definitely not up for treking into Cambridge every day, or even every week. Maybe once a month I could countenance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 12416
    I'm in London. New head office is in Cambridge. I am definitely not up for treking into Cambridge every day, or even every week. Maybe once a month I could countenance.

    Let me know when you are up that way and we can go for a beer.

    Hilariously I'm near Cambridge but will probably end up working for a company in London.
    Luckily fully remote.
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I'm in London. New head office is in Cambridge. I am definitely not up for treking into Cambridge every day, or even every week. Maybe once a month I could countenance.

    Let me know when you are up that way and we can go for a beer.

    Hilariously I'm near Cambridge but will probably end up working for a company in London.
    Luckily fully remote.
    We should meet up with @goldtop and do some mud wrestling!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 12416
    I'm in London. New head office is in Cambridge. I am definitely not up for treking into Cambridge every day, or even every week. Maybe once a month I could countenance.

    Let me know when you are up that way and we can go for a beer.

    Hilariously I'm near Cambridge but will probably end up working for a company in London.
    Luckily fully remote.
    We should meet up with @goldtop and do some mud wrestling!

    There are a boat load of forum guys around Cambridge.

    We will need a lot of mud :)
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4017
    I need to be in when doing lab work else my work are looking at 3 days WFH, 2 days office which I'm cool with
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.