New Epiphone ES-335 and ES-339 (or maybe a Gretsch Electromatic)

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
edited March 2021 in Guitar
I only have one electric, but I'd quite like another one, something different from my Tele. The Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" range seems to be a step up, by the looks of it and the price point new is pretty much my maximum budget. The ES-335 looks great and being a fan of Bernard Butler during Suede's heyday, I've always kind of fancied one. However the ES-339 has also caught my eye.

Aside from the obvious difference (the size), what other differences mark them apart? I've never really looked into the specs or how different they sound, so some advice would be great.

Also, to note that the newer Gretsch Electromatics are on my list as well, so I'll be trying those out to compare when we can all get back in guitar shops again.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I have a few questions 

Do you want to buy new?
    Are you buying for a sound or a look?

Gretsch have some very distinctive sounding guitars.
    Usually pretty quiet (output wise) and quite often come with a Bigby. 

Humbuckers are kind of humbuckers to a point. I always thought the 339 sounds just like a les paul
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    I’ve got one of the new Epiphone Rivieras, it’s fantastic.  Assuming the new 335s are as good I’d buy one in a heartbeat. Peach have just got Cherry 335s in, they really look the part.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I had an Epi ES-339, sounded nice but the D shape neck profile didn't suit me at all. Was like playing a length of 2x1. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mbe said:
    I had an Epi ES-339, sounded nice but the D shape neck profile didn't suit me at all. Was like playing a length of 2x1. 
    Luckily the new models don’t have that neck profile.
  • I have a few questions 

Do you want to buy new?

Humbuckers are kind of humbuckers to a point. I always thought the 339 sounds just like a les paul
    If I’m being honest the look has always really appealed, but I think sound-wise I’d like a punchier darker sound. One other important thing I’d have to consider is the difference in how the neck plays from my Tele, and I’ve always generally found Tele necks the most playable for me.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    edited March 2021
    Have you seen this article?

I'd quite like to try one I must admit.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 775
    Although the blacktop filtertrons found in most electromatics have more growl than a traditional filtertron, they still clean up nicely and are brighter than the average humbucker.

I preferred them to a typical epiphone or generic humbucker for that reason.
  • Gerz6558 said:
    Although the blacktop filtertrons found in most electromatics have more growl than a traditional filtertron, they still clean up nicely and are brighter than the average humbucker.

This is what makes the Electromatics more appealing. I had one of these about 6 years ago, and it was good, but the necks on the newer models are great, huge improvement all round.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1843
    Arent Epi necks skinnier than standard?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've got a 2019 Gretsch Electronic 5420 , it's a fabulous guitar. The Blacktop Filtertrons are really good pickups. 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 775
    edited March 2021
    Gerz6558 said:

This is what makes the Electromatics more appealing. I had one of these about 6 years ago, and it was good, but the necks on the newer models are great, huge improvement all round.
    I haven't tried one of the newer electromatics, I had a few from 6 years or so ago, like you. I did have a streamliner for a short while the other year, and that had a noticeably thicker neck which was nice.

I think its a tough choice though. There's an argument to have both really!
    The new Inspired by Gibson models mirror the Gibson models, so there are some 50s and 60s carves on the new line up.

My new Riviera is a 60s model but has a decent round C shape, thicker than a 60s Gibson Les Paul Classic neck that I had not too long ago.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    I have a new Epi LP Junior and that has a pretty chunky neck which is very similar to my other old style Gibson necks.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1843
    rlw said:
    I have a new Epi LP Junior and that has a pretty chunky neck which is very similar to my other old style Gibson necks.
    Thats interesting.My Epi acoustic has a narrower nut than standard so thought this was the case across the brand.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    From a shallow, cosmetic point of view, how tall are you? 335 is a taller man's guitar. 339 just doesn't look right on anyone. All IMO of course. 335 is a cracking guitar though.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    From a shallow, cosmetic point of view, how tall are you? 335 is a taller man's guitar. 339 just doesn't look right on anyone. All IMO of course. 335 is a cracking guitar though.
    I don’t know why but I think they look a bit like a banjo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:v
    I’m 6ft 3, so with a ES-339 I’d look like Tiny Tim?
    Lebarque said:
    I don’t know why but I think they look a bit like a banjo
    If only I could lol and wis.
    Lebarque said:v
    I’m 6ft 3, so with a ES-339 I’d look like Tiny Tim?
    335 will be perfect on you. Don't even bother considering the banjo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I have a few questions 

Do you want to buy new?

If I’m being honest the look has always really appealed, but I think sound-wise I’d like a punchier darker sound. One other important thing I’d have to consider is the difference in how the neck plays from my Tele, and I’ve always generally found Tele necks the most playable for me.
    I'd look at the 335 first then personally. I think it best fits your tonal description 

I had an electromatic for a while. It looked cool, sounded quite nice but wasn't that exciting to play 

Also consider tokai, edwards and the like too. I'm a bit out of the game these days so I don't know what second hand prices are like

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom